1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Cool Tips and tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:17 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by medctr1
No noticeable coolant loss or I figured it had to be a couple of bad exhaust valves. I also thought the bad exhaust valves would cause backfiring. Also tried the paperbill trick on the tailpipe exhaust where
you put a paper bill near the end of the exhaust. It should just blow away from the exhaust pipe. If it blows away and comes back a little bit, it indicates a burnt valve allowing suction in the exhaust system when its piston is in its downstroke. At least thats how I understand it.
There is not much "meat" in the gasket between the valve areas of these engines. No coolant passage there. I've seen more than one leak in this area many years ago when I played with the flatheads. Retorqueing the head may show a change but probably not a permanent fix.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:08 PM
medctr1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
If you have a vacuum gauge this chart should help (old school high tech):
I hooked up a vacuum gauge off the vacuum wipers. EZ.
gauge holds steady at 18, if I do a quick punch of throttle it goes 10-22 then back to 18.(if I increase rpms to 2000 or so it increases to 20 then drops back to 18) I do not notice any dropping or floating of needle...well maybe a half a unit at most. According to chart you gave me I believe I show a "normal motor" but I still have 50psi in cylinders 5&6 and good compression 105-115 in the others. So..............am I reading the gauge correctly?

Old 09-08-2012, 07:31 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I hooked up a vacuum gauge off the vacuum wipers. EZ.
gauge holds steady at 18, if I do a quick punch of throttle it goes 10-22 then back to 18.(if I increase rpms to 2000 or so it increases to 20 then drops back to 18) I do not notice any dropping or floating of needle...well maybe a half a unit at most. According to chart you gave me I believe I show a "normal motor" but I still have 50psi in cylinders 5&6 and good compression 105-115 in the others. So..............am I reading the gauge correctly?
These readings are on an engine at normal operating temperature. Make sure that your temp gauge shows that. Remember that these flatheads take a while to warm up.

I'm not sure if your engine has been sitting for a while or not but these ring might just be stuck. Clean oil and regular use might free them up. I would be careful using any "snake oil" (and there are lots out there that make outrageous claims) as you might have unintended consequences using them as most are designed for modern engines.

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2012, 11:41 AM
medctr1
Freshman User
newbie lookin at vacuum gauge

Maybe I can't read the second chart, but I thought it was saying 4-25 was normal when you punch it. I sure expect the vacuum to show something ,considering the compression in 5&6. is low.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

In your troubleshooting, remember that vacuum drops to near zero at WOT. Sounds to me like you're reading the vacuum gauge right. Why not start a separate thread.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:54 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I don't think this has been mentioned before:

Frame swaps are almost always impossible and usually end in failure and frustration. Use the original frame and improve upon it. Search for FTE posts about "frame swaps" and read every one of them.

Starting a new post is a very good idea for two reasons, it gets this thread back on point and if you have a separate thread with a topic specific title more people will see it and chime in with more help.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:29 PM
medctr1
Freshman User
new thread

Originally Posted by raytasch
In your troubleshooting, remember that vacuum drops to near zero at WOT. Sounds to me like you're reading the vacuum gauge right. Why not start a separate thread.

Not sure how to start a new thread...look at it later this weekend. thanks.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:41 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Not sure how to start a new thread...look at it later this weekend. thanks.
Just go to the main page of the '48-56 board and click on the just above top of the discussion board. A new will pop up and you enter a subject title and below in the box enter your message, just like you did here.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:44 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Maybe I can't read the second chart, but I thought it was saying 4-25 was normal when you punch it. I sure expect the vacuum to show something ,considering the compression in 5&6. is low.
Yes, but you only have 2 cylinders with a problem not all 8. And you never reach 25. Do all the other test read normal? Ray is right. This thread is for "Cool Tips & Tricks".

Old 09-09-2012, 07:53 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Help for Windshield Wiper Blades

For those who have a vehicle that does not get driven for long periods you've probably had the problem where the windshield wipers take a "set" and then jump, skip, and vibrate when you use them after a long dormancy. When I park my seldom used vehicles I place a small block under each wiper arm that keeps pressure off the blade thus preventing it from taking the "set". And if the vehicle is stored outdoors, consider placing a piece of pipe insulation over the blade, keeping the sun off. And RainX works good for these seldom used vehicles.

Attached Images   
Old 09-09-2012, 08:06 PM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by raytasch
For those who have a vehicle that does not get driven for long periods you've probably had the problem where the windshield wipers take a "set" and then jump, skip, and vibrate when you use them after a long dormancy. When I park my seldom used vehicles I place a small block under each wiper arm that keeps pressure off the blade thus preventing it from taking the "set". And if the vehicle is stored outdoors, consider placing a piece of pipe insulation over the blade, keeping the sun off. And RainX works good for these seldom used vehicles.
Thanks, good tip. Here in Houston with the hot sun we get, I go through a couple of sets of wiper blades a year on three vehicles. And if I don't use RainX at least one more set.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:18 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Here if the vehicle is parked outside for a period of time the heat and tree sap "welds" the edge of the blade to the glass, so when you turn them on it rips bits of rubber out of the edge and the blade streaks from then on.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where I grew up in Imperial Valley, it only rains about once a year. So we routinely just removed our wipers and left them in the trunk. You just had to remember to reinstall them if the forcast called for rain. Jag

Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM
trueblueovalguy
New User
a piece of rubber fuel hose cut to the proper length and slid over the drill bit to control depth.works great and saves trees.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:31 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I wrap a piece of masking tape around the bit with the end folded back on itself to form a flag. When the flag starts brushing the filings away around the hole I know to stop.

Quick Reply: Cool Tips and tricks