Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you like a tech article on how to re-wire your factory harness to MAF?
Yes, I would
95.02%
No thanks
0.77%
I duno, I might...
4.21%
Voters: 522. You may not vote on this poll

SD to MAF Conversion - Write up?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Linemo
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in 1996 the 150's went OBD-2 the 250-350 were still OBD-1 at least all that I have seen

Old 12-04-2009, 11:56 PM
wantaford
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Linemo
in 1996 the 150's went OBD-2 the 250-350 were still OBD-1 at least all that I have seen
The California Emission trucks were OBDII '96 and newer. 1995 and Newer Ford Trucks with California Emissions have MAF Systems.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:58 AM
wantaford
Tuned
Originally Posted by wantaford
Not sure, I have not investigated that far yet. I have made some mods to my truck and I know I am not fully getting the powergains available because of the limitations of the stock ECM. I need to find out how I can re-program it while not messing anything up for passing California Smog.
I have found a shop locally to do my the Dyno Calibration that I really need done. It is Force Fed Performance in Sacramento. Wants $400+ for the hookup, dyno, and calibration. He talked me out of doing the SCT chip. Since I have a EEC-V OBDII computer he would rather re-flash it with a new fuel map. Plus the smog guys will never know what it is in there. Hopefully I can get the truck down there in the next few weeks.

I have added a few additions to the truck since Feb. All have helped tremendously. I made a custom cold air induction system. I used the big K&N filter that I had but built a custom aluminum heat shield around it with a bottom tray that funnels the cold air coming through the factory radiator support intake duct. Also channeling all the outside air coming between the hood/rad support and the fenders. In the 100 degree summer driving down the road the intake temperatures dropped from 90 - 110 to 70 - 80 degrees, big difference. I also added a PRO-M 80mm MAF. BBK dual 61mm throttle body. Built a custom intake duct between the MAF and the new throttle body. No restrictions. I had to port match the upper intake with the new throttle body. I also added the under/over drive pulleys. That made a noticable difference as well. I am looking forward to seeing what the dyno tuner can do to finish up the job.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:17 AM
Shawn63200
Junior User
looking good. curious what it dynos out at.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
86eddieb
5th Wheeling
Has this write up ever happened? I'm sitting on the stuff to switch mine over, and after long searching, I'm not coming up with anything that gives a good tutorial on the conversion. I'm trying it on a 93 5.0, AOD setup. But need good info on pinouts etc.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:16 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
There's a lot of good information here:

Ford Fuel Injection

The site includes links to the computer pinouts for pretty much all the EFI 5.0 computer setups Ford used. I've got a spreadsheet I used to convert my 86. It gives the instructions pin by pin. You're welcome to use it as a baseline if you want, but your 93 will have subtle pin differences (I needed to add a vehicle speed sensor, the 86 had differences in the EGR controls, and doesn't have a canister purge control), as well as some differences in wire colors that you would need to account for. But all that is easily figured out using the above web site and the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual. If interested, send a pm with your email address and I'll send the spreadsheet.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:44 PM
86eddieb
5th Wheeling
Well, I now have, off of a 95 F-150, the engine harness, MAF sensor and ductwork, and several pigtails from other things that I wanted. Also got, from a 91 Mustang, a Processor, Processor plug with a few inches of wire, MAF sensor, BAP sensor. Now to just piece it all together and install it on the truck.

Old 01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Deerediesel
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey guys. I havent been on here in so long, I thought I was the only one the world interested in conv. my SD '97 460 w/e4od to MAF. Its a reg. cab 4wd, 3.55 gears and have always ran stock height tires. I have everything in my poss. to do the conv. exept the Y for the intake tube. Figured I would make one out of mandrel tubing. I bought my harness and MAF sensor from Interactive Systems Tech. ( Interactive Systems & Technologies Mass Air Home Page ) in Jasper, GA. I had to save lots of pocket change for along time for that one. Had I had a 5 spd, I think I would have went with an A9L mustang pcm, and a lot less headache. The pcm that I have is 104 pin eecV, code FEZ3 (as far as I know is the final rev. for 7.5 w/e4od). I dont have the Part # infront of me but can get it if somebody needs it. When I ordered my harness from IST in GA, they sent me a full diagram of the pcm pin outs with wire #s color codes and lables. I have read everything on their website and the Ford Fuel Inj. website at least a dozen times. I like to take in as much info and knowledge as I can before starting a job i havent done before.
My current setup is still SD, pcm code ALT0 and a SCT chip that was tuned aon a dyno at lamotta speed shop in Lake Mary, FL. As much as I look down on sd now that i have learned so much about EFI (mostly from this site and 460ford.com), I will say that the ALT0 pcm seemed to be a good program. My truck ran like a bat out of hell from day 1, always responding to every mod I ever did, and ultimately (with the original stock engine and trans) getting a best of over 16 mpg. It would get 15.5 @ 70mph with the cruise on. When my truck was bone stock it wouldnt get over 11 mpg....tops. Seems like the only people who believe my fuel mileage are othe people who have worked on these motors before. I wish it would still do that today.
Since then I have built an ('88 block, E7TE heads) engine w/ lower comp. (appx 9.0=1) and a crane roller cam conversion. The cam is part #359331. One thing I cant remember is if the cam was straight up or not. And I cant find the reciept from summit. The specs are very close to the oem cam, but after I got it fired up I think the pcm was in la-la land. Hard starts and running lean big time, and crappy mpg....maybe 10 or 11 at best. I hope all this changes once I get the maf in place. I just havent had time. On the dyno (winipep 7 I believe) with the retuned chip it made 280 hp and 422 ft/lbs. at the wheels. The A/F ratio is around 13 at WOT, and 14-15 at cruise. I have a FAST dual O2 meter in it right now, its been pretty handy. I have my original F3TE heads and have had them ported and polished w/ 2.19 intakes and 1.76 exh. valves. I cant wait to see how it runs with these and a ported intake to match. My goal is to install a turbo from STS in utah, but I havent won the lottery yet....whicj reminds me-- Has anyone ever seen or even seen a picture of Kennebelle twin screw on a 93-97 efi 460 ford????? My research says they did make one. I called them and even the arrogant unhelpful salesman I talked to said they "used to make one" but he hadnt seen any. The search continues. I would rather have a screw type or turbo over a centrifugal for practicality. This is my daily driver and work truck.
If anybody has any suggestions please let me know. Always lookin for new ideas or info. I have alot more questions myself, and also more truck info if anybody wants to hear it. Hey Wantaford, I wanted to build the same kind of intake. That looks bada**. Keep posting the good info guys. see ya

Old 01-14-2010, 07:37 PM
86eddieb
5th Wheeling
E303 Ford racing cam, HV oil pump, timing set, gasket set, and Motorsport shorty headers are here now. Will be doing the swap as soon as possible

Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM
Big-old-460
Senior User
THIS IS A GREAT LINK and i HOPE TO C A WRITE UP SOON
sorry for caps , i put this link on my favorites lol

jayson

Old 01-15-2010, 04:45 PM
jarod17
Posting Guru
Sorry I have not been on in a while. I am gathering info on making this write up in two parts. One part is going to be for a old style OBDI conversion and the other is going to be for an OBDII conversion.

I have some of the wiring diagrams and pinouts for the '94 and '96-2000 Fords.

The write ups will take a little time as I am going to make sure that they work and run the engine before posting them.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:28 PM
86eddieb
5th Wheeling
Well, I took the truck in for exhaust, and had that done, with 2 o2 sensors placed in the downpipes. Then took the truck home, and tore the engine down. Swapped in a E303 Ford Racing cam, replaced the timing chain...yada yada yada. Put in the A9L Mustang computer, and repinned everything needed to switch the truck over to MAF. Truck fired right up, with a warm glow of a check engine light. Codes 54, 81 and 82 are in there. Anyone else had this issue? I have searched and retraced my steps, but cant figure out whats going on with the trouble codes. 54 says a ACT sensor voltage reading too high, but I check it and its under 5 volts. The others, 81 and 82, seem to be smog related, and I truly could care less about them. Any help is appreciated.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:56 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
What year truck did you start with? I looked up the ACT part number for a 95 and it seems to be pretty much discreet for that year, although I can't tell what the functional difference would be from earlier years. If you're using an older intake setup the part could be different.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:00 PM
9.ford.5
Postmaster
anyone ever use these before?

X3 Performance Chip with O2 Sensor Control [40-50HP]

guy over int he inline 6 forum said his buddy put 306 hp and 369 lbs of torque through his 300 with one of those a better exhaust and a v8 TB...but v8 TBs do nothing on 300s from everything ive heard and i cant see how they would so...for an exhuast and that chip he got 50+ horse and about 100 lbs of torque

Old 01-31-2010, 09:19 PM
ri_truck_guy
Posting Guru
If it sounds too good to be true......

What makes me a little suspicious of the claims is that there no correlation between the years they claim to offer for Ford products, and actual years od Ford control systems. For example, they offer the chip for 1990 and later Mustangs, but what's the difference between a 1990 and 1988 Mustang setup? Even if there product works as advertised, they didn't do their homework.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SD to MAF Conversion - Write up?