2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edge Vs.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 05:57 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by fastmax
Are there any engine power gains using the lightning files vs the regular files? I dont want to load it if the gains are made with transmission tuning.I dont want to kill my tranny.
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts!

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords.

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:10 PM
FORDRULZ666
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you keep the stock exhaust or do you need to put a bigger exhaust on to keep the egt's down like the diesels.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:22 PM
PHS79
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can keep the stock exhaust. Diesels are alot more picky about EGT's since with just chips and tuners they make some crazy HP. And the biggest problem with high EGT's on diesels is the turbo (most of the time). Since the Edge Evo doesn't make any where near the HP that the diesels do and the 4.6/5.4 don't have turbos you are in the clear. Until you start to do some engine work or slap a super charger on top...

Old 03-11-2006, 07:23 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The reason for changing the exhaust on a Turbo'ed diesel is to keep from melting the turbo due to mods.

Yes you can keep your stock exhaust.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:23 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Stock is fine, but you get to notice even greater results and greater increase in both power and economy with a free flowing exhaust. EGT's are a non issue for the gas applications. As with any engine, from a 1200 HP race engine to your lawn-mower....the engine will make more power if it can breath better. So increasing the intake and exhaust ability will only enhance what you already have. There are plenty of happy tuner owners with gas and diesel trucks and cars that have stock vehicles...but once they finish it off with an intake and exhaust they are typically VERY happy that they did it. A good engine can become a great engine with a tuner, and a great engine can be incredible with the right tweaks to the intake and exhaust. The beauty of the Edge and most shelf tunes is the ability to enhance the package that you have even stock. It just gets better from there.

Larry

Old 03-11-2006, 07:26 PM
DiscountPowerPrt
Elder User
Ya what he said. lol

Old 03-11-2006, 07:28 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Originally Posted by superrangerman2002
The reason for changing the exhaust on a Turbo'ed diesel is to keep from melting the turbo due to mods.

Yes you can keep your stock exhaust.
It helps the turbo operate better (Exhaust) and it does lower the EGT's on a diesel, but the melting issue is with the pistons. The magic number that seems to be agreed upon most is about 1300 to 1350 degrees, where the pistons will begin to break down or melt from the hot gasses of the exhaust on a diesel.

Turbo's can take the heat much better, they are not alluminum...the pistons are alluminum. Where you worry about turbo heat is at shut down where you could coke the oil on the bushings/bearings if the turbo is above 350 or so degrees and you shut it down and stop the oil bath from flowing over the turbo bushings/bearings.

Larry

Old 02-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Texas Pete
Freshman User
OK, guys, I've had just about enough! Based on all the hoopla, I just ordered the Edge Evo and the K&N FIPK for a 2004 Lariat supercrew. The parts ought to get here this week' we'll see what happens.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:40 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
And you will love the change to your truck! It was a good time to get in on the Edge, On April 1st all Edge prices nation wide will go to Edge MVP Pricing. This will cause a nationwide increase in the price of Edge Products for many dealers like us that have been kicking them out the door at sub MAP prices. If you dont have it by April 1st, expect to pay around $440.10 for the F-150 Evolutions...this is the Edge MAP price, and all dealers will be required to honor this or face the wrath of Edge/MSD/Superchips. The penalty for being caught is banned for life from buying Edge products....and what dealer can afford that? No more Edge on Ebay at all.....no more coupons on Edge, no more click here to see the price, no more "sale" prices.....MVP MAP, or nothing.

The other way Edge/MSD/Superchips is going to enforce this is that any warranty calls will have to have proof of purchase with proof of purchase price. If you have an invoice dated after the 4-1-06 start of the MVP, and it is showing a price under the MVP programs MAP policy....you will be denied any and all support!

Read about it here:
http://www.edgeproducts.com/whats_happening.php?whak=1
http://www.msdpmvp.com/

Last edited by fordtrkpuller; 02-17-2007 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:55 PM
RickyRocket
Freshman User
Will using the Edge Tuner void the warranty at all ?

Old 02-18-2007, 08:35 PM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Any power adding device from an intake, tuner, exhaust, to headers, Nitous, camshafts can be used in a case to void a warranty. If you open the Edge manual they specifically tell you this and recomend that you remove the Edge Evolution from your truck before returning to a dealer. Anyone who says that a aftermarket performance part can not be used against you is not telling you the truth.

When I take my car (still warranted) into the dealer, the water meth, intake, electronic boost control and a few other odds and ends come off. It rolls in bone stock.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 PM
HamerDown
Senior User
Originally Posted by RickyRocket
Will using the Edge Tuner void the warranty at all ?
I will say 100%...hell yea, even if the dealer sells it!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 AM
bluephi1914
Junior User
Smile

Honestly it looks like the only thing the EDGE has over the Xcalibrator 2 Tuner is the Monitoring capabilities. To me those two tuners are all peope on this forum ever talk about. I mean you have a couple superchips and others. But the EDGE and Xcalibrator 2 Tuner seem to be the top tuners and the advantage that i see for the Edge tuner (over Xcalibrator 2) is te fact that it allows you to monitor levels on screen.

Its just so hard to decide when choosing a Tuner. Ive narrowed it down though. Edge or Xcalibrator 2.

Last edited by bluephi1914; 02-20-2007 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:53 AM
fordtrkpuller
FTE *******
Bluephi1914,

You can also now go with the SCT Livewire. It is a tuner with all the SCT Xca2 ability, with all of the guage/display features of the Evolution. It will cost about two hundred more than the Evolution, but will allow for a small amount of more power with much better transmission tuning.

The livewire has shipped from SCT, and is now in stock to start shipping to customers. Base livewires have the SCT Strategy Flash tunes, and custom tuned Live-Wires have the same Strat-Flash tunes PLUS the custom tunes.

You are pretty much on the money, no tuner seems to equal the Edge in value....value being bang for the buck. Also, no tuner can measure up to the SCT for all out power and trans control....it will make the very most power of all I have played with.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:48 AM
mbogosia
More Turbo
Anyone using this on their 4.6l V8? Is the edge available for the 2007 yet? This thing seems like a no brainer just for the fact you can monitor everything.

Quick Reply: Edge Vs.