Sponsored by: DP Tuner

FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 06:16 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,925 Likes on 1,935 Posts
FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread

The time has come for this to have its own thread. This project started over a year ago when I read @Sous ' thread on his own T4/SXE conversion. After switching to FFD 205/80 injectors, my GTP38R is/was simply unable to keep up and EGTs were getting unmanageable any time I got on the go pedal. I believe it was contributing factor to my blowing a hole in piston #3. Even then, I was reluctant to switch to a T4/SXE setup because it meant the loss of the EBPV. Living in MN, the EBPV is a necessity to get the engine warmed up quickly. @Dan V might disagree though. That is when I started exploring ideas on how to incorporate an exhaust brake with a T4/SXE setup. Turns out @brokestroke had already done a considerable amount of work on this front. I was pretty much resigned to needing to fabricate my own EBPV/Exhaust Brake when @countrycar posted about the DPS Turbonator VGT/VNT Exhaust Housing. After several calls to DPS, I made the decision to use their exhaust housing as it is the cleanest way to incorporate an EBPV/Exhaust Brake into a T4/SXE conversion. Parts buying then commenced. After several months (and credit card billing cycles), all the major components have arrived. First mockup occurred on June 25th. Here is where we are at currently:

Edit 2: It appears I have not adequately described the need for the 4” v-band flange on the DP based on the questions I’ve been getting so here goes. The standard T4 exhaust housing has a v-band flange with an overall outer diameter of 4.21”. Therefore, all the T4 conversion kit manufacturers supply downpipes with a matching 4.21” v-band flange. The v-vand flange on DPS’ VGT/VNT housing is 4”. Therefore, I had to source a v-band flange with an overall diameter of 4”. This was shipped off to CSD so they could weld that onto the DP that was going into the kit I was buying. Carson was very accomodating with this request. The links to this 4” v-band flange and matching v-band clamp are in the parts list attached. This parts list will be updated as I discover new parts needed as I work on this conversion.

The standard T4 housing has a DP flange dia of 4.21"

The DPS VNT/VGT housing has a DP flange dia of 4".

A custom 4" v-band
flange flange
and v-band
clamp clamp
were required.

The VGT/VNT housing also has an actuator that sticks quite a ways out from the housing.

It will have to be reclocked to not interfere with the y-pipe.

Here's what it looks like from the other side.

EDIT 1: Oops, forgot to to attach my parts list initially.

Attached Files
File Type: xlsx
FTN Name Log.xlsx (10.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 06-26-2020, 07:25 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
Noob, I don't disagree with the EBPV being a nice warm-up feature, and the trick of using it for an exhaust brake....but, at the time of my SXE install, I didn't see a workable solution to keep it.

Anyway, I'm super excited to see how this progresses for you,and as I mentioned when you stopped by...if I can facilitate some part of the fab for you I'm surely willing. The other parts of the shop are on a 2 week shutdown, so I should have plenty of time.

Old 06-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,465 Likes on 2,854 Posts
This is going to be a lot of fun to watch and all of us are hoping for only the best results.

I have included a link to this thread in my T4/SXE Parts List thread.

Keep up the good work Leonard!

Old 06-26-2020, 07:56 AM
Macmathews
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really..
Many would disagree that keeping EBPV for warming up is not required.. (plus its so sickening)
I still have mine BTW..
Why not just plug in your truck on those extremely cold days ?? - that trumps all here in Ontario Canada.. - Our weather is likely very similar !.
What size BW is that ?

Kyle

Old 06-26-2020, 08:45 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,444 Likes on 940 Posts
How is the exh housing controlled? Does it come with its own tuning that reacts to rpm, boost and fueling? Is it somehow controlled by oem pcm and a custom flash?
VGT can work very very well but the tuning/control seems to be the key, this is exciting

Old 06-26-2020, 11:57 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
How is the exh housing controlled? Does it come with its own tuning that reacts to rpm, boost and fueling? Is it somehow controlled by oem pcm and a custom flash?
VGT can work very very well but the tuning/control seems to be the key, this is exciting
This.......

Old 06-27-2020, 07:09 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by Dan V
Noob, I don't disagree with the EBPV being a nice warm-up feature, and the trick of using it for an exhaust brake....but, at the time of my SXE install, I didn't see a workable solution to keep it.

Anyway, I'm super excited to see how this progresses for you,and as I mentioned when you stopped by...if I can facilitate some part of the fab for you I'm surely willing. The other parts of the shop are on a 2 week shutdown, so I should have plenty of time.
I know. I was just yanking your chain.

Thank you again for the offer. I have a feeling I will be tapping you on the shoulder pretty soon.

Originally Posted by Macmathews
Really..
Many would disagree that keeping EBPV for warming up is not required.. (plus its so sickening)
I still have mine BTW..
Why not just plug in your truck on those extremely cold days ?? - that trumps all here in Ontario Canada.. - Our weather is likely very similar !.
What size BW is that ?

Kyle
Yeah I was just yanking Dan's chain. I do pug the block heater in in winter actually. It's an S366.

Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
Originally Posted by Sous
This.......
The system has its own standalone controller. It is the black box in the lower right corner of this picture.

Parameters are modified via a program from DPS on a laptop. How it is programmed is explained in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN1F...ature=youtu.be

I have to say I am quite impressed with the engineering on this thing so far. The build on the housing seems robust and the programming interface is intuitive.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:26 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
The software seems very robust. Thanks for posting it.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:24 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 06-27-2020, 10:20 AM
FinnishStroker
Cargo Master
Received 783 Likes on 482 Posts
I have EBPV delete pedestal,in freezing temps i use block heater..It sits in high idle while im on my morning dump,windows has plenty of time to defrost..

Old 06-27-2020, 03:22 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
It's going to be interesting to see how you manage the actuator and the Y.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:19 AM
FordTruckNoob
It's going to be interesting to see how you manage the actuator and the Y.
First thing I'm going to try is reclocking the actuator per the instructions in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLp...ature=youtu.be

If that doesn't work, then I'm going to have to start looking into fabricating a custom y-pipe. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:40 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
First thing I'm going to try is reclocking the actuator per the instructions in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLp...ature=youtu.be

If that doesn't work, then I'm going to have to start looking into fabricating a custom y-pipe. I hope it doesn't come to that.
My guess is that there is going to be some extensive fab work on the Y pipe.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:50 PM
FordTruckNoob
My guess is that there is going to be some extensive fab work on the Y pipe.
If it comes to that, I may try to make it out of carbon fiber.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:01 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm following this, going to be another expensive upgrade for our trucks!

Quick Reply: FTN's T4/SXE Build/Conversion Thread