Sponsored by: DP Tuner

T4 with exhaust brake?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 05:29 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,975 Likes on 1,964 Posts
T4 with exhaust brake?

Stinson 108-1, I am in exactly the same predicament you are. I would like to retain EBPV functionality after going T4/SXE for both the exhaust brake and also because I need it for MN winters. My first thought is to go with a T4 exhaust brake and then see how we can get the EBPV signal to activate it.

Old 08-20-2019, 02:08 AM
Rick37
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Stinson 108-1, I am in exactly the same predicament you are. I would like to retain EBPV functionality after going T4/SXE for both the exhaust brake and also because I need it for MN winters. My first thought is to go with a T4 exhaust brake and then see how we can get the EBPV signal to activate it.
My biggest concern with ordering my t4 setup for up in Wisconsin! Although I don't run the truck much in the winter, It is nice to have. I have been thinking about this and have an idea in my head.. But its kind of far fetch honestly. I want to utilize the electrical from the EBPV as 1: its factory and already wired 2: there are so many diagrams and people wiring it up for autos and manual it would be easier than creating a new circuit. As stated I just ordered my T4 kit today. At first I wanted to just eliminate the ebpv but having second thoughts. After reading this thread, I had a light bulb moment. MPC has several electric actuators with different rod lengths. When I take the stock ebpv off I will measure the rod stroke and try to find one from there. Then If the Butterfly from my stock ebpv, is relativity close to the diameter of the new exhaust I will create two bungs to insert it into. Then fab a mount up to hold the actuator. But this will all need to be done very carefully due to exhaust heat, might have to move the actuator near the wheel well or something with a long rod to activate it. I hope this isnt thread hijacking.. but it is a possible idea, maybe someone can run with it? When I get home on the 30th of august I will be off labor day week and see if its feasible when I am looking at the truck.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:39 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by Rick37
My biggest concern with ordering my t4 setup for up in Wisconsin! Although I don't run the truck much in the winter, It is nice to have. I have been thinking about this and have an idea in my head.. But its kind of far fetch honestly. I want to utilize the electrical from the EBPV as 1: its factory and already wired 2: there are so many diagrams and people wiring it up for autos and manual it would be easier than creating a new circuit. As stated I just ordered my T4 kit today. At first I wanted to just eliminate the ebpv but having second thoughts. After reading this thread, I had a light bulb moment. MPC has several electric actuators with different rod lengths. When I take the stock ebpv off I will measure the rod stroke and try to find one from there. Then If the Butterfly from my stock ebpv, is relativity close to the diameter of the new exhaust I will create two bungs to insert it into. Then fab a mount up to hold the actuator. But this will all need to be done very carefully due to exhaust heat, might have to move the actuator near the wheel well or something with a long rod to activate it. I hope this isnt thread hijacking.. but it is a possible idea, maybe someone can run with it? When I get home on the 30th of august I will be off labor day week and see if its feasible when I am looking at the truck.
I'm so jealous of you right now. I'm still saving for the T4/SXE. What size SXE did you settle on?

I'm not sure the EBPV signal will have enough juice to activate an electric actuator. All that signal does is activate a valve in the pedestal to an oil-powered actuator. Perhaps someone like @cleatus12r with greater knowledge can enlighten us on what form that signal takes.

Apologies to @Shovelheadrob for the hijack. @Sous , could you move all the talk of T4 exhaust brake to a new thread please?

Old 08-20-2019, 07:15 AM
Rick37
Mountain Pass
I'm so jealous of you right now. I'm still saving for the T4/SXE. What size SXE did you settle on?

I'm not sure the EBPV signal will have enough juice to activate an electric actuator. All that signal does is activate a valve in the pedestal to an oil-powered actuator. Perhaps someone like @cleatus12r with greater knowledge can enlighten us on what form that signal takes.

Apologies to @Shovelheadrob for the hijack. @Sous , could you move all the talk of T4 exhaust brake to a new thread please?
I was hoping to use the signal to power a relay, then said relay would run actuator. Went with a 364.5.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:06 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by Rick37
I was hoping to use the signal to power a relay, then said relay would run actuator. Went with a 364.5.
Ah. Gotcha.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:48 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,517 Likes on 2,875 Posts
Moderator Comment: Thread moved in order to keep the off topic related information... on topic...

Perhaps @brokestroke has some input on this subject since he built his own T4 system and clearly knows how to fabricate.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 827 Likes on 470 Posts
I have some good info to add about this. Will make a post when I have the time. A few years ago I built an exhaust brake and learned a lot in the process.

Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 141 Likes on 80 Posts

No need to apologise, it's all relative, I haven't decided which way to go, but the T4/SXE is highly possible & I'd not factored in loosing the EBPV, so thanks for reminding me, none of this will happen for a while but I like to be equipped with all the information to get all the necessary parts to do the job FTE rocks

Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by brokestroke
I have some good info to add about this. Will make a post when I have the time. A few years ago I built an exhaust brake and learned a lot in the process.
Awesome. Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge sir.

Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 PM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 827 Likes on 470 Posts
Here is a quick schematic I drew up during lunch.

*DISCLAIMER*
There is no "one way" to put this all together. Many things can be changed or wired different depending on the setup and I am no wiring or valving guru by any means.

First I included a 30psi switch connected from the EBP tube to a dump valve. This would be for towing as to not exceed the safe allowable back pressure the motor can handle. I used 30psi just for a reference as I am not sure of what is safe or not. This would also be a fail safe if the solenoid valve had a malfunction and the brake stayed closed under anything besides 0% throttle. The "relief valve" is also something that certain brakes may not need. The point of it would be to release the pressure in the line after the brake was disengaged so it can open without a struggle. Wiring into the TPS would be pretty simple (I think). Wiring it to only open the solenoid valve at 0% throttle and the arming switch to activated it.

You could also wire it into the coolant system to work like the factory EBPV. That is a little more difficult to draw out. This schematic would enable the exhaust brake to activate while the truck is idling and act as an EBPV, trip the arming switch and it would shut off.

Any corrections anyone wants to add or anything they see that doesnt look right, feel free to let me know as I am no expert.

Next post I will touch on the actual brake itself and fitting it into a T4 swapped truck.

Old 08-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Rick37
Mountain Pass
@brokestroke I love your thinking on this. I couldn't sleep today all that well because I was trying to think of different options. I have also thought about using the Back pressure for a fail safe. I have started to look for a spring return cylinder, thus in the event of failure it will remain open. Only problem I see with this is finding a dual acting cylinder with a spring retract or extend (depending on how you mount it to the butterfly), then finding a souce strong enough to compress the spring. (Maybe boost pressure?) I would like to be able to utilize the the ebpv circuit as opposed to wiring into the coolant or throttle. BUT I think it would be simple enough either way. I thought will using the dual acting cylinder creating a line to tap into the EBP port on the manifold with a set pressure check valve, that once it reached 30 psi (keeping the same pressure you mentioned for ease of conversation) it would then overcome the solenoid and open it. This might be hard to fluctuate as it might be trying to open and close to fast or slow. So maybe a flow control valve to help regulate the speed it closes but when opening have it retract at full speed. Again this is using all air controlled as opposed to electric. Hope this makes sense?

Old 08-20-2019, 08:49 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Y'all are making my brain hurt. However I hope you get it figured out and make it easy so if I ever decide I need it I can do it. Lol

Old 08-20-2019, 08:57 PM
M3rc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I realize this is just focusing on the valve actuation logic, but if we're going this far, don't forget torque converter lockup. FullForceDiesel sells something for that.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:08 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by M3rc
I realize this is just focusing on the valve actuation logic, but if we're going this far, don't forget torque converter lockup. FullForceDiesel sells something for that.
All it takes is a toggle switch, some wire and a couple of connectors, you can get that anywhere.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:09 PM
Rick37
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by M3rc
You are right, I am so focused on the valve actuation I forgot you have to make something up for the TC lock up, otherwise its just pointless.. Great more things for me to ponder

Quick Reply: T4 with exhaust brake?