Overdrive issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 PM
SgtNick_PSD
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Overdrive issue

Got a problem starting up here...
I've been worried about my transmission for a while now. When I bought it over 2 years ago the trans fluid was super dark and reeked to high heaven. So that was attended to immediately. *Note, I don't believe the TC was drained but not sure... I have a Banks 6-Gun in it and if I'm over level 3 it slams into gears pretty hard on harder acceleration. So I just keep it on level 2 or 3 unless towing then it's at level 1.
So what I've noticed this winter happening more and more often is that it doesn't want to drop into OD when I get up to speed (55mph). I have to tap the OD button and again to make it engage.
Word of advice? Trans fluid change again? Trans rebuild in the near future? If so, any suggestions on shops in the area? I'm near Lansing MI.

Thanks fellas, What do you need to know to make a more educated assumption?

Sgt. Nick

Old 03-13-2018, 12:44 AM
StrokinHer01
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My transmission shifts hard to but I have a shift kit .. I also have the six and it definitely stiffens up the shift points. Do you have to play with your od button or does the od light change every time you punch it?? A problem I’m having is I have to play with the shifter to turn my od on or off.. loose wires in the shifter... see if when you get up to speed and push the button pull and wiggle the shifter ???

Old 03-13-2018, 08:20 AM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
I’m a strong believer the only point in rebuilding one of these transmissions if if your going to beef it up proudly spending over 4,000 and up. now a days the cost of a rebuild is too close or the same as buying a ford remanufacutred transmission. Your either paying for a tranny guys hourly labor to rebuild or paying ford the same rate for a ford reman. For example this mechanic wanted 2000 to rebuild my transmission he said he was “upgrading it” let me se the parts list I said. Parts total for a rebuild was 300 plus 700 for a top transmission bell housing. I said a little more than how the hell do you expect me to believe this transmission is upgraded w 300 in parts!!!! Went and picked up a brand new reman unit from ford in the 450 for just a couple hundred more. A good shop can have this done in one day vs down time for a rebuild.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:41 AM
SgtNick_PSD
Mountain Pass
StorkinHer01 - I don't have to wiggle or play with the OD button at all, it's solid and light goes on and off with a simple tap, so my assumption is that it's a mechanical issue in the trans itself. But, that is why I came to you guys. Give me any and all ideas or wisdom.

RigCity - I am your typical truck owner who has no extra money to make it better than stock. There is no way $4,000 would ever make its way into my truck. That will be used this spring to replace my roof haha. But I see your point. I did some brief searching on remanufactured 4R100 transmissions on the web and I found this guy: Monster Transmission. Among others. Instead of on the web though, should I run down to the local Dealership to see if they'd handle it instead of messing around with shipping the core and all that? The pricing on a reman trans is much better than I was told for a rebuild on my stock 4R100 (consistently coming in average of $2200). So you're saying in all honesty that a remanufactured transmission is worth purchasing, instead of having anyone rebuild my old one, unless I was to pour big bucks in a super beefy build?

I haven't driven it too much lately, but another question is, could the cold weather have a big effect on shifting to OD?

Hey, one more thing. My truck is a 2000 F250. I do have a 4R100 correct? E4OD Transmissions were early '99 and older right?

Old 03-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
There were no E4ODs in the Superduty. They ended with the older body style trucks.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Yes that’s correct and the ford one comes with a warranty mine was heavily damaged on the casing they still refunded the full core amount. You also get a warranty with the rebuild if another thing breaks only the labor to remove and reinstall the transmission will be more than a reman one. Finally, downtime is reduced to a minimum with a reman.

Old 03-17-2018, 04:47 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
What does the fluid look like now? I assume you haven't changed the fluid since you bought it 2 years ago, correct? Usually by the time transmissions start to show a problem changing the fluid isn't going to do you any good. For instance if your engine starts knocking you don't do an oil change.
If you have access to a scanner that can see all the fancy things the transmission is doing I'd highly recommend using it. With the torque app I believe all you can see is torque converter slip. I had a brand new trans built when I still had my old SD with a brand new converter. My converter was junk out of the box and used the app to figure that out for sure.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:20 AM
Karlow
More Turbo
Yep, Torque pro will indicate slip.
You better start stacking your $$.
The burnt fluid was your clue.
I'm going to build my own. To do it it will still run close to 2K.
I picked up a core for $500, a good TQ will run about $650.
On this one, one clutch pack was all burned and the the TQ looks suspect.
Other than that I found one striped bolt on the pan which I fixed today.
It came from a F350 club with 350 miles and had been rebuilt before.
FYI a lot of rebuilds are actually repairs. They may not put in a full kit, just rebuild the burnt clutch pack, through in a gasket set and a reman convertor.
It comes with a 10K 1 yr warranty.