Pros and Cons on camper shell carpet kits... - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons on camper shell carpet kits...

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 03-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Metal twister is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Hopefully going to do a 3 week vacation this summer and will be driving from SoCal to MO. South through TX. And back home. I have a nice Leer camper shell that will act as shelter for the venture. Im doing this trip by myself so going simple will be just fine this trip. Was thinking one of those slip in carpet kits might be a bit more comfortable than a corrugated bed. Any experience with carpet kits? What to look for? Pros or Cons would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:27 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
I tell you what was a life saver being deployed at times was a foam type roll up mat. You may want to look into one of those. Also, if you have the space, a blow up single person wide cushion could serve you well when trying to rest.

Old 03-15-2018, 01:59 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to all
Honestly, I'd look at something like this... They're very comfortable and double as a lounge chair plus they get you off the ground.
I bought a kodiak tent for the back my truck and I use one of those instead of an air mattress. And you don't have to bring an extra chair so keep your traveling light.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 03-15-2018, 02:20 PM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
Have camped all my life and in my advanced years have become a firm believer in blow up mattresses. A good night sleep is worth it's weight in gold. Not expensive and most come with a little air pump that fills them in no time. A twin will fit in the bed of a truck easily.

Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 PM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a good reputation on FTE.
I second the residential twin spring mattress, right between the wheel wells, luggage on the sides in front and rear of the wells. Our first road trip in the '99.5 was that way. 1500 miles, cooler full of sodas n food in the back, a light rain, dry under the shell. Good times

Old 03-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Skip1970
Post Fiend
Skip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputationSkip1970 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Colorado350 View Post
Honestly, I'd look at something like this... They're very comfortable and double as a lounge chair plus they get you off the ground.
I bought a kodiak tent for the back my truck and I use one of those instead of an air mattress. And you don't have to bring an extra chair so keep your traveling light.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABE...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

i just ordered a kodiak tent for truck, how you like yours?

Old 03-15-2018, 03:33 PM
Colorado350
Posting Guru
Colorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to allColorado350 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Skip1970 View Post
i just ordered a kodiak tent for truck, how you like yours?

Well, I bought it for the times I need shelter and either can't or don't want the camper. It sets up fast, is solid and good ventilation. I painted the bed rail blaze orange so I don't either leave them on the truck or lay them down and forget or step on them accidentally. I looked at the tents that have a floor in them, it sounds like a good idea but in reality it's one more thing to deal with both setting up, tearing down etc. I bought a rubber bed mat off eBay for $100ish, hits heavy, fits perfectly and creates a level "soft" floor. The picture shows it set up with my toolbox still in the truck. A quick trip I'd leave the toolbox installed but for something over a week I'd probably pull it for a better fit.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:21 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
All very valid points and great suggestions. I already have the shell so shelter is covered. I have both a tent cot and air mattress which i forgot I had until you guys mentioned it. But the real question was about carpet kits. Seems to me like it would give a more home like feel when settling down for the night opposed to curling up in a tin can? Maybe it doesnt matter? Then what or where does it go after the vacation is over? LOL maybe find one on craigs list, use it for a few weeks and put it back up on craigslist when I get back?

And on another note I have a 35 gallon barrel of diesel that i was thinking about taking along. Just wondering about the odor in the shell. Thoughts?

Old 03-15-2018, 04:24 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant futureSous has a brilliant future
We used to pack something similar to this when flying on military cargo planes if there was room in/around the pallets to lay them out. Worked like a champ and could store them behind the net/jump seats in the fuselage when not being used.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:36 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Lol... I worked Ec121's Super Connies in Iceland, C141's Starlifters at Travis, and we to kept those bed rolls handy. Just had to make sure you weren't close to the drop zone before snoozing. LOL thanks for the memories...

Old 03-15-2018, 04:40 PM
Sous
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Metal twister View Post
Lol... I worked Ec121's Super Connies in Iceland, C141's Starlifters at Travis, and we to kept those bed rolls handy. Just had to make sure you weren't close to the drop zone before snoozing. LOL thanks for the memories...
I knew someone would back up my story!

I hear you about the drop zone. When we flew into Pakistan we did damn near a corkscrew landing in blackout conditions (could not see my hand 5" in front of my face) in a C-130. One of the few moments of my life that I will never forget... I tried to describe it to my wife, but I cannot.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:45 PM
sunuvabug
Elder User
sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sunuvabug is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Metal twister View Post
All very valid points and great suggestions. I already have the shell so shelter is covered. I have both a tent cot and air mattress which i forgot I had until you guys mentioned it. But the real question was about carpet kits. Seems to me like it would give a more home like feel when settling down for the night opposed to curling up in a tin can? Maybe it doesnt matter? Then what or where does it go after the vacation is over? LOL maybe find one on craigs list, use it for a few weeks and put it back up on craigslist when I get back?

And on another note I have a 35 gallon barrel of diesel that i was thinking about taking along. Just wondering about the odor in the shell. Thoughts?
I would use what I already had i.e. tent cot or air mattress. I'd forgo the carpet kit ... too specialized an item and what would you do with it later? I might consider the rubber floor route ... more use and utility with that after the fact i.e. if you ever get a proper truck camper. Also, if it were me, I'd trade the oil for a beer keg. Would still smell but lots more fun. Seriously, if you're going to haul oil (I reckon for oil changes?), either make sure you can get an airtight seal (because yes the smell will not be pleasant or healthy) or repackaged the oil in tightly sealed/capped plastic containers.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:52 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
No, unless you've experienced it it just a story. Nothing like being tethered in and hanging on to the side of plane and watching those big *** rear doors open, big *** ramp lower then seeing the ground what feels like a few feet off the ground passing at 350 mph. The plane goes vertical and the payload gets sucked out faster than you can blink. And there ya are inside a big **** plane climbing quickly with the rear doors open... Yahoo! But like i said its just a story.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:59 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by sunuvabug View Post
I would use what I already had i.e. tent cot or air mattress. I'd forgo the carpet kit ... too specialized an item and what would you do with it later? I might consider the rubber floor route ... more use and utility with that after the fact i.e. if you ever get a proper truck camper. Also, if it were me, I'd trade the oil for a beer keg. Would still smell but lots more fun. Seriously, if you're going to haul oil (I reckon for oil changes?), either make sure you can get an airtight seal (because yes the smell will not be pleasant or healthy) or repackaged the oil in tightly sealed/capped plastic containers.
yeah maybe your right... A coat of lineX might be just fine.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:05 PM
ZachinCO
Senior User
ZachinCO is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
When I had my Leer topper on I had a BedRug kit in the bed. Spent many nights in the back of my truck down in Imperial Valley duck hunting. After a few deflated air mattresses, cuz nothing is worse than waking up with the deflated mattress, I built a platform above the wheel wells. Storage underneath and put down a memory foam on top of a sheet of plywood.

One think I liked about the BedRug was that it blocked dust in the gap between the tailgate and bed. It installed and came out pretty quick. I only utilized the velcro on the tailgate to keep that flap from falling down.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pros and Cons on camper shell carpet kits...

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.