2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 upfitter switches

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 06:07 PM
1800X-Rider
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my upfitter switches installed today on my 2018 F350, with the help of this post of course. Thanks for all of the input from everyone. I would not have considered doing this without your guidance.
The only thing that confused me a little was that the harness that I ordered that goes from the connector in the A Pillar up to the overhead console had a few extra connectors on it. I just tucked the extra ones up into the overhead out of the way.
Everything is working great, so thanks again for all of the help!

Old 08-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On mine, I actually removed the old, smaller, wiring harness going to the overhead console. All of the connectors on the new harness had a place to go once that was done.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:30 PM
Petunia
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
On mine, I actually removed the old, smaller, wiring harness going to the overhead console. All of the connectors on the new harness had a place to go once that was done.
I did precisely this as well, just yesterday. Thanks so much to all of those that have contributed to this thread. I haven't done the under-hood work yet... perhaps tomorrow.

As FYI, my 18 Platinum has a black headliner an the overhead console is black as well. The last 3 letters of the part number is "LAV". That will get you the black.

Old 08-26-2018, 09:58 AM
1800X-Rider
New User
Under the hood work was a piece of cake. The most time consuming part was opening up the wheel liners. I found running the harness to be very easy.

I am curious about the original in-cab harness that you guys removed. Where did it route to? If it didn't connect to the same A-pillar connector that the new harness connected to, then where did it connect?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:24 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1800X-Rider
Under the hood work was a piece of cake. The most time consuming part was opening up the wheel liners. I found running the harness to be very easy.

I am curious about the original in-cab harness that you guys removed. Where did it route to? If it didn't connect to the same A-pillar connector that the new harness connected to, then where did it connect?
Good to know you thought the under the hood part was easy. I still have to finish that myself - after all the firewood for the winter is split and stacked, and the rest of the winter prep is done.

If memory serves, there was a cable that came from the right (passenger side) and the one that went to the rear view mirror. Those wires stay in place and connect to the new console. Here's a pic of what the old harness looks like when properly removed. The new harness had a similar connector for each, respectively, and clips in about the same places for pinning it down. Fat_fenders also noted somewhere that there was a connector tucked behind that he had to hunt for before his switches would light up blue with the normal truck lights.

About that - the switches only light up blue when your truck lights are on AND it's also dark enough out. Basically, they light up exactly as the rest of your OEM console/dash lights. I tested all that out a lot to make sure stuff was working because I didn't recall the lights changing/turning off when bright out. Swtiches 5/6 don't light up amber when on yet but I figure that's because those are the special switches that you can change to have power even when ignition is off (see post elsewhere from Fat_fenders or others about changing the fuse for that). I'll test out the rest soon because winter is coming and I want LED lights on the truck before the snow flies. Hope this all helps you out further. IMO, this and the other thread on installing upfitters are the best threads on FTE!

Old 08-27-2018, 07:56 AM
Buz49
New User
I am planning to do this modification and this thread has been very helpful....thanks

Old 08-31-2018, 02:01 PM
Ritten
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Has anyone ordered the parts lately? I went by the stealership to order parts, but I didn't feel like paying $300 more for all of them than I can get online. However, both the dealership and everything I've finding online is saying that Ford has changed the part # of the console. Has anyone ordered HC3Z-28519A58-JBC instead of HC3Z-28519A58-JE and can confirm that it's truly is the same?

Old 08-31-2018, 09:41 PM
1800X-Rider
New User
Go to https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...c3z28519a58jba and then compare it to the -jbc that you are referencing. My truck is an XLT and does not have the security module in the console, so the jba was the right PN for me. When you compare the two, you will note the jbc has two round circles to the left and right of the rear glass switch. If your current console is grey and has these circles(which mine did not), then the jbc is probably the correct one for you. (But don't hold me to it!)

Old 09-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Ritten
4wd Low
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks. Just for anyone else following this thread after me the part # has indeed changed to JBC for the console. I did the install today of both harnesses and the console in about 3 hours by myself. All thanks to this awesome write up and pictures!

Old 09-15-2018, 03:33 PM
yitbos1
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I finally finished the upfitter mod today. I would agree the easiest part for me was under the hood / truck. The interior was just a P.I.A in my opinion. I hope I got the right male connector connected so the upfitters are blue when the lights are on. The only grey male connector I found in the headliner was already connected to the old harness. So I contorted my body enough to unconnect it and connect to the new harness. Absolutely no other grey connector was not being used in my headliner. I have a Lariat power rear window no sunroof gas motor. Thoughts on that ??

Next up is connecting all the lights and such soon as I get the truck ready for the snow season.

Sincere thanks to fat fenders (Mike) I really appreciate all your help and advice. Kevin Kriss at Fairway Ford for getting the necessary parts to me. Last but not least thanks to the rest of the crew here at FTE.
This is a awesome site.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:37 AM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by yitbos1
Well, I finally finished the upfitter mod today. I would agree the easiest part for me was under the hood / truck. The interior was just a P.I.A in my opinion. I hope I got the right male connector connected so the upfitters are blue when the lights are on. The only grey male connector I found in the headliner was already connected to the old harness. So I contorted my body enough to unconnect it and connect to the new harness. Absolutely no other grey connector was not being used in my headliner. I have a Lariat power rear window no sunroof gas motor. Thoughts on that ??

Next up is connecting all the lights and such soon as I get the truck ready for the snow season.

Sincere thanks to fat fenders (Mike) I really appreciate all your help and advice. Kevin Kriss at Fairway Ford for getting the necessary parts to me. Last but not least thanks to the rest of the crew here at FTE.
This is a awesome site.
There are two grey connectors above the headliner.
Refer to this thread, post #95:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...2017-sd-7.html

First, I must give props to UpinSm0kE for this hidden connector info

I've attached two pictures that show where a "hidden" connector is. In both pictures, right is toward the front of the truck, and the BEST view is from the passenger seat. I also have the 2017 Lariat, power rear window and no sunroof. Shouldn't have to contort your body to unplug/plug in connectors.

Push the clips off the edge of the black plastic console "pocket" with a flat blade screw driver, trying not to poke a hole in your aluminum roof , and feed the connectors out the large openings where you can work on them.

The obvious connector is on the back side of the cable clip shown here, left center of picture above.

The second (hidden) connector, is seen above, and behind my finger. The grey connector can be seen backside of the black overhead console "pocket".

Revisit the 1st photo, and note the cable clip toward the right, in the forward access hole, just to the left of the black cable with the yellow stripe.

Glad to have been of help! Now...

Old 09-17-2018, 01:41 PM
yitbos1
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
UPDATE: Apparently I actually did it all correct. The upfitters light up blue at night and when I switch any or all of them on they turn yellow. I took Mike's (fat fenders) advice and had a few Spotted Cow's (beers)

Thanks again to all. This board is AWESOME !!

Old 09-18-2018, 12:23 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Originally Posted by yitbos1
UPDATE: Apparently I actually did it all correct. The upfitters light up blue at night and when I switch any or all of them on they turn yellow. I took Mike's (fat fenders) advice and had a few Spotted Cow's (beers)

Thanks again to all. This board is AWESOME !!
Mmm. Have some in the fridge...

Old 09-18-2018, 12:25 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 1956Fatfenders
Mmm. Have some in the fridge...
You've got me curious now. Where can your Alaskan brethren pick some of that up?

Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 PM
1956Fatfenders
Elder User
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
You've got me curious now. Where can your Alaskan brethren pick some of that up?
Sorry...
https://newglarusbrewing.com/beers/Distribution

Quick Reply: 2017 upfitter switches