2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 PM
johndrush
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues

Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

My 2017 Ford Superduty 6.7L Powerstroke with Lariat Ultimate Package (with 8k miles) has all of the following symptoms.

I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday and just received a call that 3 wiring harnesses near the spare tire have water intrusion and are fried.

They are stating parts and labor are not covered under warranty will cost $1,788.00 to replace these 3 harnesses then commence further testing.

In my opinion, automotive wiring harnesses should be one of the most water-resistant designed items on these highly-electronic vehicles.

Can you imagine buying a Ford Raptor and taking it off-road to get these type of results???

I am nauseated about having a brand new $70k Superduty with these problems!

Symptoms
  1. Blind Spot Information System Failure
  2. Cross Traffic Alert System Failure
  3. Power Running boards very intermittently working.
  4. Air Conditioner System Intermittent failures to permanent failure.
  5. All hardwired dash controls non-responsive.
  6. Driver Seat and Steering wheel changing positions while driving.
  7. Blinkers intermittently responding as if they are burned out.
  8. Accessory/Auxilary Power System will not shut off.
  9. Engine Compartment light remaining on.
  10. DRL Lamps on while the truck is off.
  11. Air Bag warning light.
  12. Driver and Passenger Window Controls (on Driver's side) non-responsive.
  13. 12V Charging system to trailer failure.
  14. Batteries require disconnecting to ensure truck power is off.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:21 PM
MrFord619
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why aren't they covering this?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:24 PM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I guess I'll ask the obvious question to get it out of the way, did you drive it through deep water?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:40 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Was the truck in a hurricane?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:52 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,185 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally Posted by ncl
Was the truck in a hurricane?
OP is from TX and was my thought as well. Weather resistant is one thing but waterproof they are not.

More details about why they are declining warranty coverage would get better insight John...

Old 09-20-2017, 07:53 PM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It appears that your dealer is taking the position that your truck was under water. You may be angry but you may be barking up the wrong tree. I'd suggest making a claim with your vehicle or home insurance companies. Possibly federal if you're in a natural disaster area where the federal and state of emergency was declared.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:12 PM
stufarmer
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd contact my Insurance Company. The dealership will have to prove to the Insurance investigators that it's not a defect in design or workmanship. Therefore it was caused by an outside source. Hence the Insurance Claim.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 PM
johndrush
New User
Thanks for your replies!

I do live in the Hurricane Harvey affected area, but I did not drive the truck in any water of threatening depth and it was not flooded.

If anything comes to mind that would have forced water into a wiring harness connection, it would be from automated car washes. Nevertheless, I do believe this is Ford's issue of design and manufacturing.

@Stufarmer, good point at letting the insurance company fight the battle, hopefully Ford will stepup and cover this themselves.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:41 PM
ctimrun
Tuned
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
That really sucks John, I can only imagine the sick feeling you are experiencing, I know I would be seriously upset too. Here’s to the best possible outcome for you in getting this resolved!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:51 PM
TheLex
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would get proof, any kind of proof that you can, that the vehicle was not flooded or driven through deep water. It sounds like they are summarily dismissing your warranty claim because your vehicle was located in an area that experienced flooding.

Get the proof then contact your zone representative or whomever is the next higher up at Ford.

Or you could try and bring the truck to a different dealer for repair. Some are better at going to bat for customers than others. Recently a Porsche forum member had their PDK transmission fail. The original diagnosing dealer told him Porsche's policy is to replace not repair the transmission - to the tune of $17k. Customer went to another dealer who went to bat for him, and got a rebuilt for half that price. This was for a car that was out of warranty BTW.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:34 PM
AbitaPro
Senior User
John this is not an uncommon component failure on the new Ford Aluminum Trucks. It's happening on F-150's as well. When Ford had a massive weight reduction in these truck designs, not sure what happened with electrical wiring harnesses and components, but failures have been prevalent in many aspects of these new designs, perhaps that's just how it goes.

But if you research the inner web and check electrical failures or gremlins, you will discover others whom had the wiring harness near the spare tire, that have caused exactly same malfunctions.

DEFINITELY WARRANTED!

However after the flood, some dealers and possibly Ford may try to blame the customer!

But you did buy a Ford "Built Tough" Truck, and if their wiring harnesses can't get wet, they shouldn't have changed the truck designs on 2015 and up!!

Good luck.

Edit: After Hurricane Katrina, Trane Air Conditioner Company tried to do the same to me and not warrant their extended warranty because homes in Louisiana flooded. However we're about 25' above sea level and no flooding here. Hence my Warranty stood.

If the dealer can't prove your truck was flooded, and you merely drove on wet roads, in the rain, thru car washes, with a truck bed that's not sealed, and drains water down onto your electrical wiring, how can they refuse warranty?

Old 09-21-2017, 04:44 AM
MrFord619
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AbitaPro
DEFINITELY WARRANTED!

However after the flood, some dealers and possibly Ford may try to blame the customer!

But you did buy a Ford "Built Tough" Truck, and if their wiring harnesses can't get wet, they shouldn't have changed the truck designs on 2015 and up!
Apparently that "Built Ford Tough" slogan doesn't really mean all that much in a court of law lol. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-puffery.shtml I completely agree if there hasn't been any evidence of water intrusion into the cab or electronics Ford should be covering this. Underneath the vehicle should be designed to take a significant amount of water.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:21 AM
rwilimo
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start by having a face to face with the service manager and if that gets you know where get Ford corporate involved, there is no way this should not be covered.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:26 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,412 Likes on 1,007 Posts
Maybe the op has pictures of the truck and house or can pull up a view of the flooded areas vs his residence to prove he was not in the flood zone. I agree though, if you can insurance would be the best route to slap the dealer over this nonsense.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:28 AM
brickman
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have any pics? What config is the truck ? srw or drw? any mods?

Quick Reply: 2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues