2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Here are the part numbers for the forever backordered parts.

HU2Z*14S411*HA WIRE ASY

HU2Z*14S411*FA WIRE ASY

Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Okay... whew. I've read every post in this thread and have a few questions for those of you experiencing this issue. I've had one anomalous signal on the dash like what you've described - I've bought my 2017 F350 Lariat DRW gasser about 6 months ago and want to make sure I get ahead of this. Thanks and good luck. I don't envy you guys being w/o your trucks like that and getting the run around.
  1. I've seen 2 different pictures of locations for the connector in question - are these the connectors to remove the tailgate or are they the connectors on the other side (passenger side)?
  2. Have any of you having the significant issues ever disconnected/connected these connectors prior to experiencing issues (feel free to PM me)?
  3. DiElectric grease - when you say to push it liberally into both sides of the connector, do you mean to get it down into the pins?? If you leave it gooped in, won't it short out between the pins just like water would have?
  4. From what I can gather from the pics, it seems only diesels are having the significant issues? Is that true or are any of you getting yanked around by Ford driving gassers like me?
    1. SRW only or DRW's too?

Old 03-07-2018, 11:45 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Dielectric grease is not supposed to conduct electricity. As long as the contact between the male/female part of the pins is firm the grease will not inhibit the connectivity. Here is a link to more info on dielectric grease: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silico...lectric_grease

Old 03-07-2018, 11:49 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 940 Likes on 579 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Okay... whew. I've read every post in this thread and have a few questions for those of you experiencing this issue. I've had one anomalous signal on the dash like what you've described - I've bought my 2017 F350 Lariat DRW gasser about 6 months ago and want to make sure I get ahead of this. Thanks and good luck. I don't envy you guys being w/o your trucks like that and getting the run around.
  1. I've seen 2 different pictures of locations for the connector in question - are these the connectors to remove the tailgate or are they the connectors on the other side (passenger side)?
  2. Have any of you having the significant issues ever disconnected/connected these connectors prior to experiencing issues (feel free to PM me)?
  3. DiElectric grease - when you say to push it liberally into both sides of the connector, do you mean to get it down into the pins?? If you leave it gooped in, won't it short out between the pins just like water would have?
  4. From what I can gather from the pics, it seems only diesels are having the significant issues? Is that true or are any of you getting yanked around by Ford driving gassers like me?
    1. SRW only or DRW's too?
1) I found the one connector attached to the passenger side frame, just aft of the spare tire. Easy to access. Fortunately it looked nice & clean inside.
Look up behind the rear license plate area and you'll see the big round connector for the trailer plug. I greased that one also.
2) The one on the frame did not come apart easily, but it did come apart. The trailer plug easily popped off after depressing the tab on the side.
3) I've loaded many plugs over the years with dielectric. It's never caused a problem with shorting or current crossing between the wrong connections.
4) I also have a 6.2/F250. As stated, I have had a one day issue with dash messages about trailer connections, but not the big problem with the other plug that others have. Hopefully now the problems will be avoided.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:20 PM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Another thread mentioned an additional connector above the gas tank.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:30 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 940 Likes on 579 Posts
Originally Posted by f350ktm
Another thread mentioned an additional connector above the gas tank.
There are some photos shown where the tank is seen laying on the shop floor. I don't see me dropping the gas tank. Probably no easy way to get at it.

Old 03-07-2018, 01:01 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by johndrush
...In my opinion, automotive wiring harnesses should be one of the most water-resistant designed items on these highly-electronic vehicles.

Can you imagine buying a Ford Raptor and taking it off-road to get these type of results???
My 2018 Raptor which I purchased in September of 2017 has experienced no electrical issues. It's been out 'wheeling a couple of times including crossing some mud holes up to the tops of the tires. The Raptor is rated for 32 inches of fording depth by Ford. Even with nominally 35" tires, that puts water at the top of the rear frame rails, meaning the main body harness would be in water or darn close to it. I don't think this is a widespread issue. The Ford harness is pretty much industry standard with modern connectors and split-shell sheathing. My 2017 Super Duty has the same basic harness. So does a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. Having run some additional harness on the Super Duty to power strobe lights and a transfer tank pump, I can see Ford actually took effort to protect the harness from spray in several areas. Perhaps the OP's issue was unique in some manner, or the harness wasn't clipped tight or had some type of manufacturing defect. In any event, hopefully everyone affected can get the problem sorted out quickly.

Old 03-07-2018, 03:51 PM
Tmoorman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My ford dealer is at the point they are trying to hit wire these connections together since they are so far on back order. Talked to a regional service manager today and she had no idea when parts would be in. So I asked her to start the buy back review on my pickup as I’m well within the legal rights to. I’m sure ford will give me the run around though.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
My dealer is installing a different connector. The shop Forman is supposed to be some sort of wizard with electronics and he ordered some connector that is available and he swears it will not only work perfectly on my truck but that it will be sealed better than stock.

They install all it tomorrow and hopefully I can get up there tomorrow night to pick up the truck.

If i can get some part numbers for the connectors he is using I will definitely share with the group.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 PM
Tmoorman
New User
Talked to my dealer this evening and they have the brake lights and blinkers working but no ac or heat. No windows either.said they are taking the dash out tomorrow to try to figure out the ac. Just blows my mind Ford can careless bout this issue and just puts it on the dealers. Hoping they buy it back so I can buy a GM product.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:07 PM
greendragon.
Junior User
P;ease give us an update on what the outcome was sir. I have a 2017 F-350 Lariat with only 2500 miles. I bought the 1st of August.

Old 03-07-2018, 10:09 PM
greendragon.
Junior User
Please keep us updated on the outcome sir. I have the same truck as you with 2500 miles on it. It is not a daily driver.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:00 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tmoorman
Talked to my dealer this evening and they have the brake lights and blinkers working but no ac or heat. No windows either.said they are taking the dash out tomorrow to try to figure out the ac. Just blows my mind Ford can careless bout this issue and just puts it on the dealers. Hoping they buy it back so I can buy a GM product.
Don't be naive. I understand the frustration, but your specific problem is not affecting 99.9% of the trucks out there. No automaker is perfect. GM knew about their ignitions that could shut off while driving and disable airbags...rather than fix the issue they chose to hide it. They also installed a transfer case in the GMT-800 trucks (1999-2006, including heavy duty) which had a poorly designed pump plate. Over time (less than 100k miles) the plate would "eat through" the transfer case housing, making a hole and causing the fluid to drain out, ruining the case. Unlike your issue, this is a very common problem on these trucks and GM refuses to even acknowledge it, let alone recall and fix. My 2005 GMC 3500 suffers from this problem right now.

Of course it is up to the dealers to fix the problem. The only responsibility Ford has is to try and get these harnesses in better supply.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:19 AM
Tmoorman
New User
Key word is it’s not affecting them “yet”. There’s clearly an issue with these plugs. I just happen to find the issue before others because of the extreme conditions I put mine in. Over time I bet this starts affecting a lot more people. It also must be happening enough that there’s a national part shortage.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Tmoorman
Key word is it’s not affecting them “yet”. There’s clearly an issue with these plugs. I just happen to find the issue before others because of the extreme conditions I put mine in. Over time I bet this starts affecting a lot more people. It also must be happening enough that there’s a national part shortage.
I wouldn't be so sure you're putting your truck in more extreme conditions than others. My truck has been plowing snow all winter and running the heavily salted, slushy roads of new England. It also goes off road. I've got no issues. I'm still chalking it up to yours being somehow defective or poorly assembled at the factory.

Quick Reply: 2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues