2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 12:42 PM
Tmoorman
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently just had the same problem and ford is giving me the run around saying it will be middle of March before parts are available. It’s a high of 15 today and don’t have heat. I am more then pissed off about this, wish I would of bought the Gmc now. On top of it ford is saying that they do t have a rental vehicle for me.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmoorman
I recently just had the same problem and ford is giving me the run around saying it will be middle of March before parts are available. It’s a high of 15 today and don’t have heat. I am more then pissed off about this, wish I would of bought the Gmc now. On top of it ford is saying that they do t have a rental vehicle for me.
Sounds like you have a crap dealer.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:53 PM
Tmoorman
New User
Yeah dealer isn’t the best but they are getting. The info on ford for parts. I mean these trucks come off the assembly line everyday how can ford not have parts?

Old 02-09-2018, 07:49 PM
tfsiii
Cross-Country
Would love to know where these are, open them up, clean them if necessary, add dielectric grease, close back up, and seal the heck out of them. Maybe even locate them in a better spot if possible...repeating a request I have seen several times in this thread... where the heck are those connectors? On my truck, while installing the Bed Step in the driver side rear bumper, I came across 2 unused connectors, butt ended , fastened to and hanging from the hitch receiver frame. A pic and question solved the mystery - they are for 5th wheel connections . Having seen this thread, I am thinking of sealing these now....

Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tmoorman, My dealership gave me a 2017 Expedition to drive. (a really nice one too) I have to say, they were super nice to me. They offered it to me without a problem.
I think that I'd ask them for the phone number of the person who made that decision. Be sure to stress to them that this is a "Safety Issue" as this effects the controls of the driver's seat and has been known to cause them to go into the "Easy exit" mode while at highway speeds. (it happened to me) Also the tailgate can go down on its own which can damage it or someone else's vehicle. (that's in the TSB) Mine was going down on its own as well.
Ford knows that this is very dangerous situation. They cannot afford someone getting injured (or worse) over something like this and owe you a loaner vehicle during this repair time. If they still refuse, I'd be on the phone.

Originally Posted by tfsiii
Would love to know where these are, open them up, clean them if necessary, add dielectric grease, close back up, and seal the heck out of them. Maybe even locate them in a better spot if possible...repeating a request I have seen several times in this thread... where the heck are those connectors? On my truck, while installing the Bed Step in the driver side rear bumper, I came across 2 unused connectors, butt ended , fastened to and hanging from the hitch receiver frame. A pic and question solved the mystery - they are for 5th wheel connections . Having seen this thread, I am thinking of sealing these now....
tfsiii, I haven't seen them myself as my truck is still at the dealership awaiting a wiring harness that is on backorder. The tech told me that the connections are right beside the trailer hitch. If I get by the dealership I'll stop and ask the Tech to show me which ones they are and take a picture of them for you.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:25 PM
Tmoorman
New User
Originally Posted by RJC2
Tmoorman, My dealership gave me a 2017 Expedition to drive. (a really nice one too) I have to say, they were super nice to me. They offered it to me without a problem.
I think that I'd ask them for the phone number of the person who made that decision. Be sure to stress to them that this is a "Safety Issue" as this effects the controls of the driver's seat and has been known to cause them to go into the "Easy exit" mode while at highway speeds. (it happened to me) Also the tailgate can go down on its own which can damage it or someone else's vehicle. (that's in the TSB) Mine was going down on its own as well.
Ford knows that this is very dangerous situation. They cannot afford someone getting injured (or worse) over something like this and owe you a loaner vehicle during this repair time. If they still refuse, I'd be on the phone.

tfsiii, I haven't seen them myself as my truck is still at the dealership awaiting a wiring harness that is on backorder. The tech told me that the connections are right beside the trailer hitch. If I get by the dealership I'll stop and ask the Tech to show me which ones they are and take a picture of them for you.
what are they telling you about when parts will be in? Soon as they said for me was middle of March.

as for which connector it is it will be on the passenger side of your spare tire. Very easy to get to and do something with. When I get mine back I’m shrink wrapping it.

the dealer offered me a Chevy Malibu and I said not a chance. I bout a 65k pickup and I use it every day for work. I can’t drive a Malibu around a construction job site. I tried calling ford and have several email conversations where they ford customer service agent has told me there’s nothing they can do. Even have it in an email that I am very concerned as this is a huge safety issue and the representative just said try calling the dealer.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:58 PM
7.3 Dude
New User
Originally Posted by johndrush
Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

My 2017 Ford Superduty 6.7L Powerstroke with Lariat Ultimate Package (with 8k miles) has all of the following symptoms.

I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday and just received a call that 3 wiring harnesses near the spare tire have water intrusion and are fried.

They are stating parts and labor are not covered under warranty will cost $1,788.00 to replace these 3 harnesses then commence further testing.

In my opinion, automotive wiring harnesses should be one of the most water-resistant designed items on these highly-electronic vehicles.

Can you imagine buying a Ford Raptor and taking it off-road to get these type of results???

I am nauseated about having a brand new $70k Superduty with these problems!

Symptoms
  1. Blind Spot Information System Failure
  2. Cross Traffic Alert System Failure
  3. Power Running boards very intermittently working.
  4. Air Conditioner System Intermittent failures to permanent failure.
  5. All hardwired dash controls non-responsive.
  6. Driver Seat and Steering wheel changing positions while driving.
  7. Blinkers intermittently responding as if they are burned out.
  8. Accessory/Auxilary Power System will not shut off.
  9. Engine Compartment light remaining on.
  10. DRL Lamps on while the truck is off.
  11. Air Bag warning light.
  12. Driver and Passenger Window Controls (on Driver's side) non-responsive.
  13. 12V Charging system to trailer failure.
  14. Batteries require disconnecting to ensure truck power is off.
My 2017 6.7 super duty had the same issue-- I smelled the harness actually burning- I went directly to dealer- They said it was a known issue and after 90 days of bull****ting with me, I got my money back- It was a great truck for the first 2700 miles....

Old 02-11-2018, 05:13 PM
commtrd
Senior User
Wow. This really does not make a person considering buying a new SD Ford very likely to jump in and do it.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:22 PM
JasonB1
Senior User
Originally Posted by commtrd
Wow. This really does not make a person considering buying a new SD Ford very likely to jump in and do it.
I am surprised about this. I bought the 2011 even though it was the first year of the 6.7 thinking that Ford had got their act together after the two previous diesel disasters. (They had)

I bought a 2017 after having excellent service from the 2011, but now the 2017 has been in the shop for 10 days and probably will be in another week at least for a water pump. (none in stock, can't get them, won't expedite ship, etc...)

I am starting to hear of more design-related issues and disinterest by Ford warranty support. No way a simple connector should fail and not be covered...

This is troubling.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:29 PM
7.3 Dude
New User
Originally Posted by commtrd
I put so much money into my 2003 6.0 to make it right- I had every issues. My wife insisted I get that new truck (good woman) and I did. It was hands down a beast- Quiet- Fast- Powerful- Comfy- Towed like a champ. And the for the money, it should have been- But it's one complicated machine and when the harness went- It was a nightmare- The service manager told me there was an internal memo on wiring harness issues and I bought this truck in January of 2017, so the issue has to be legit for a memo to be generated for a truck a few months old.

The dealership (Ford of Huntington Beach) were a huge disappointment, and the buy back office at Ford corporate was incredibly disorganized. It took roughly 110 days from start to finish to get my refund. I took that money and bought a very clean 7.3 and couldn't be happier. Anyone considering the new Ford, might want to consider waiting a year. Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-11-2018, 05:35 PM
Tmoorman
New User
Originally Posted by JasonB1
I am surprised about this. I bought the 2011 even though it was the first year of the 6.7 thinking that Ford had got their act together after the two previous diesel disasters. (They had)

I bought a 2017 after having excellent service from the 2011, but now the 2017 has been in the shop for 10 days and probably will be in another week at least for a water pump. (none in stock, can't get them, won't expedite ship, etc...)

I am starting to hear of more design-related issues and disinterest by Ford warranty support. No way a simple connector should fail and not be covered...

This is troubling.
wow so I have this to look forward to as well. Not the first person I’ve seen with a water pump issues and had to wait months. I mean all these new trucks have issues. Buddy of mine bought a new 17 duramax and motor Blew at 2500 miles. He was without a truck for 3 months and on top of it had to argue with Chevy since they just wanted to rebuild his motor. He bought a brand new truck and thought it should have a brand new motor not a rebuilt one, finally got them to replace it. The main thing the irritates me is these trucks are built every day and there are thousands around the dealer lots. We paid 70k dollars for a new truck and to tell us it will be months before you can drive your truck is ridiculous. Or if it does break down you should get an equal to or greater then rental vehicle.

Old 02-11-2018, 08:53 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas

what are they telling you about when parts will be in? Soon as they said for me was middle of March.

as for which connector it is it will be on the passenger side of your spare tire. Very easy to get to and do something with. When I get mine back I’m shrink wrapping it.

the dealer offered me a Chevy Malibu and I said not a chance. I bout a 65k pickup and I use it every day for work. I can’t drive a Malibu around a construction job site. I tried calling ford and have several email conversations where they ford customer service agent has told me there’s nothing they can do. Even have it in an email that I am very concerned as this is a huge safety issue and the representative just said try calling the dealer.
The Tech told me that it could be a week, or a month, he really has no idea, the harness is on back order. They've had it almost two weeks now. I really don't mind, as the Expedition they loaned me is comfortable to transport my wife back and forth to the hospital in. They even filled it with gas and detailed it for me before I picked it up. From the sound of things, my dealership must be pretty decent compared to most.

Are you still driving yours?

Old 02-11-2018, 09:10 PM
Tmoorman
New User
Originally Posted by RJC2
The Tech told me that it could be a week, or a month, he really has no idea, the harness is on back order. They've had it almost two weeks now. I really don't mind, as the Expedition they loaned me is comfortable to transport my wife back and forth to the hospital in. They even filled it with gas and detailed it for me before I picked it up. From the sound of things, my dealership must be pretty decent compared to most.

Are you still driving yours?
yeah I really don’t have much of a choice. I use my truck for work everyday. I have a saddle tank in it to fuel machines, I pull skidloaders or other machines around at least once a week. I drive around 100 acre job sites that are bare dirt and mud. I couldn’t quite down that with a Malibu, and they don’t offer 3/4 ton rentals. They couldn’t even get me Into a pickup.
they did tell me that they located one price of the harness which really doesn’t matter you less you have both peices.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:11 PM
RJC2
Laughing Gas

yeah I really don’t have much of a choice. I use my truck for work everyday. I have a saddle tank in it to fuel machines, I pull skidloaders or other machines around at least once a week. I drive around 100 acre job sites that are bare dirt and mud. I couldn’t quite down that with a Malibu, and they don’t offer 3/4 ton rentals. They couldn’t even get me Into a pickup.
they did tell me that they located one price of the harness which really doesn’t matter you less you have both peices.
I remember reading earlier on this thread that someone was told that their repair wasn't warrantied and they'd have to pay for the harness and labor. Was that you? (Mine is covered)

Old 02-11-2018, 10:59 PM
2006LJ
Senior User
I had similar issues - frustrating. Here are a few of the many messages I would receive. It would follow with temperature warning and then shut the truck down.

Quick Reply: 2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues