2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 12:52 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Some of y'all are making me nervous about modifying my truck at all. I paid cash for the extended warranty and obviously don't want to void it. I'm thinking about eventually replacing the bumpers - something much heavier duty, possibly with some of those nice LED's in them. I'm also thinking about lights bars or the like for the extreme darkness we get up here. My truck didn't come with the upfitter switches option. Might have to call the dealer and see what they'd charge me to add it in...?

Old 03-09-2018, 01:21 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Some of y'all are making me nervous about modifying my truck at all. I paid cash for the extended warranty and obviously don't want to void it. I'm thinking about eventually replacing the bumpers - something much heavier duty, possibly with some of those nice LED's in them. I'm also thinking about lights bars or the like for the extreme darkness we get up here. My truck didn't come with the upfitter switches option. Might have to call the dealer and see what they'd charge me to add it in...?
Keep in mind, the dealer can only void warranty on what you replaced, or if the replacement parts caused the failure of another related part. For example, if you change your bumpers...obviously any failure in materials or workmanship of your bumper won't be covered. Likewise, if the bolts in your new bumper start to rust the frame, the factory may deny a claim to replace the frame or even the bolts. Make sense? As for adding the upfitters, Ford says it is not possible but clearly others have. Its much more of a pain than it used to be. A dealer might not be willing to perform this job because of Ford's statement. Because of the hassle, you might just consider a set of aftermarket "upfitter" switches (there are some nice ones out there) or just a toggle wired to a relay / fuse and the battery. Ford certainly doesn't care if you add electrical accessories since clearly they sell the upfitters for that purpose. I'm currently using 5 out of my 6 right now.

Old 03-09-2018, 03:46 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks troverman. Makes perfect sense. The more ideas I get reading here, the more I wish I had the factory upfitter switches like you do.

Old 03-19-2018, 09:05 PM
drthornton86
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found this odd electrical issue when I returned home from a business trip and let my wife use it while gone. Essentially mine caused random electrical things not to work when I hit the brakes and the airbag light came on. Windows, automatic mirrors, radio control etc...
I called Ford and it was going until the end of week before they could even look at it so I came to FTE. Man what a great resource this site is. Found this thread and found the connector in question. I took it apart and it looked clean with maybe a hint of wet inside. I was expecting to find it all corroded and rusted in there. So with a road trip to Tulsa for a volleyball tournament coming this weekend I just got a hair dryer out and hit it on high heat for several minutes at any angle I thought water could get in. Put it back together and all the problems had disappeared except for a burnt out tail light bulb. I am going to put dielectric grease in it and add it on for inspection/replacement next time I get serviced. Hope this helps anyone else having this issue with out the connector really looking like the culprit upon first look. I doubt this method will help one in as bad a shape as the pic earlier in this thread.

Note: The connector in question is the big Grey one on the frame. Very easy to get to.

Old 04-12-2018, 12:58 PM
psdxohio
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It might be my old eyes, but I’m not seeing the release for this connector and I don’t want to bugger it up. Can anyone give a hint? Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by johndrush

Old 04-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking at the bottom plug, stick a small flathead screwdriver in there and it will lift the tab up to release. It is an internal tab, not external.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:51 PM
psdxohio
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks! Dielectric grease tomorrow....l

Old 04-19-2018, 01:48 PM
Drew5150
Cross-Country
Harness fixed and still hyperflashing

So they replaced bad harness, but turn signals are still hyperflashing (oem halogens).They replaced light control, still hyperflashing. So they call me and say they have to check with ford. When they do that they have to tell them, I added factory fog lamps. Which he said shouldn't have anything to do with the problem. I'm waiting for ford to give me grief on that. Before I took it in, I removed all my LEDs, and changed outage back. This water in the harness is a big problem. I just hope they dont try blaming my factory plug and play foglamps on this.

anyone have a thought on this?
QUOTE=johndrush;17476234]Any help or insight will be greatly appreciated.

My 2017 Ford Superduty 6.7L Powerstroke with Lariat Ultimate Package (with 8k miles) has all of the following symptoms.

I dropped it off at the dealer yesterday and just received a call that 3 wiring harnesses near the spare tire have water intrusion and are fried.

They are stating parts and labor are not covered under warranty will cost $1,788.00 to replace these 3 harnesses then commence further testing.

In my opinion, automotive wiring harnesses should be one of the most water-resistant designed items on these highly-electronic vehicles.

Can you imagine buying a Ford Raptor and taking it off-road to get these type of results???

I am nauseated about having a brand new $70k Superduty with these problems!

Symptoms
  1. Blind Spot Information System Failure
  2. Cross Traffic Alert System Failure
  3. Power Running boards very intermittently working.
  4. Air Conditioner System Intermittent failures to permanent failure.
  5. All hardwired dash controls non-responsive.
  6. Driver Seat and Steering wheel changing positions while driving.
  7. Blinkers intermittently responding as if they are burned out.
  8. Accessory/Auxilary Power System will not shut off.
  9. Engine Compartment light remaining on.
  10. DRL Lamps on while the truck is off.
  11. Air Bag warning light.
  12. Driver and Passenger Window Controls (on Driver's side) non-responsive.
  13. 12V Charging system to trailer failure.
  14. Batteries require disconnecting to ensure truck power is off.
[/QUOTE]

Old 01-27-2020, 08:01 AM
macred
New User
New to this forum but want to say thanks to all these post. I have a 2019 F350 and things went to crap the other day got all the same issues....currently the vehicle is at the dealer they couldn't figure out what was going after finding this I sent them the info and now am waiting for their response. Hopefully they will be smart enough to at least look. All I know is that I had all the same symptoms and although it sucks that this issue is out there it was nice to know that I'm not the only one and that its nothing I did, dealer said at first which was upgrade to LED bulbs.

THANKS

Old 01-27-2020, 08:12 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,680 Likes on 2,745 Posts
On the Nissan Titan there was indeed an electrical gremlin issue with aftermarket LED tail lights. So it's not out of the realm of possibilities that an LED upgrade could cause problems. A simple bulb swap in the interior shouldn't be an issue though.