2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 02:44 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Guess
Absolutely.
All electrical systems are protected by fuses or internal self resetting breakers, for this many harnesses to be affected, there must be more to the story.

It's typical for weatherpack (or equivalent ) connectors to not be fully weather tight, but would not be affected by normal amounts of water being splashed, especially non corrosive fresh water. Most of the hurricane water was fresh as well, so non corrosive.

However. If this truck was used to haul a boat, and had prolonged exposure with salt water that made its way into the harnesses, that would have wreaked havoc on the systems.

If you combine corroded connectors, and a not sealed trailer wiring harness, and you dip that into the water and short voltage across grounds and can signals, and you have a recipe for this sort of mess.

Just my 2 cents. (from a guy that deals with electronics on a day to day)
Concur..

Water will conduct electricity, but electricity will take path of least resistance and if you have conducting metal to metal contact good chance is that it will not affect in the short term.

But salt water is a good conductor and it will def cause havoc in electrical contacts.

What may have occurred is that you got water ingestion and be it salt or not, if it remains in the contacts corrosion will sooner or later raise its ugly head and this can cause intermittent shorting in the contact resulting in the issues you listed...my bet this is what has occurred.

WD 40 is your friend and my off road Jeep a a BIG can of it on board for stream crossings etc where the water would sometimes affect contacts. WD 40 can be a life saver out in the middle of nowhere after a stream crossing.

You might want to try and temp solve the issues by pulling apart the connectors you can get at and blast out with WD 40...

Old 09-29-2017, 07:33 PM
texrdnec
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by johndrush
Hey Chris, I bought this truck from Ryan Ford in Sealy and it is currently there for this problem. I was pleased with the buying experience at Ryan Ford, but I am not pleased with their service department trying to immediately not warranty this issue.

The thought has crossed my mind that they know that I am a business owner and charging me for repairs probably pays them much better than being reimbursed by Ford for warranty work..

Nevertheless, I expect if I keep driving Fords that I will return to buying at Mac Haik where I have always been treated fairly.

Thanks for your replies!
John Rush

you need a good used expedition? just checked online and they've got my old one listed now http://www.ryanford.com/used/Ford/20...archDepth=3:21

i drove up to sealy from corpus because ryan was the only place i could find a 4wd expedition that wasn't either white or had every option there was. buying experience was good but they pushed the extended warranty waaaaaaaaaaay too hard

Old 09-29-2017, 07:55 PM
FOUNTAIN 1
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texrdnec
you need a good used expedition? just checked online and they've got my old one listed now Used 2012 Ford Expedition For Sale Sealy TX 1FMJU1H51CEF00427

i drove up to sealy from corpus because ryan was the only place i could find a 4wd expedition that wasn't either white or had every option there was. buying experience was good but they pushed the extended warranty waaaaaaaaaaay too hard
its a 17. What's an extended period of time. Hell people drive through snow n gets stuck all over then melts. Wtf. Didn't mean to quote. Ridicoulous to even read this stuff.

Last edited by FOUNTAIN 1; 09-29-2017 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Didn't mea
Old 10-01-2017, 10:50 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by johndrush
Hey Chris, I bought this truck from Ryan Ford in Sealy and it is currently there for this problem. I was pleased with the buying experience at Ryan Ford, but I am not pleased with their service department trying to immediately not warranty this issue.

The thought has crossed my mind that they know that I am a business owner and charging me for repairs probably pays them much better than being reimbursed by Ford for warranty work..

Nevertheless, I expect if I keep driving Fords that I will return to buying at Mac Haik where I have always been treated fairly.

Thanks for your replies!
John Rush
Not sure what MacHack you do business with but my exp in TRYING to buy was not so good. I went to them on a recommendation and tried to order my '17 Superduty. I can honestly say they barely knew a SuperDuty from a can of Campbells soup. Someone posted a link to the Ford order sheet on here that gave all the info, finally took it to Hack and they said they no idea what it was and where did you get this? I gave them link which was on Ford site. Anyhow, what I thought would be a walk in and order, leave a deposit turned into a 6 week ordeal and never getting anything accomplished. They would not let me order like I always have...sit down with the order guy in front of the computer, place order, wait for confirmation, give deposit, go home and wait. Usually about 3 hr, not 6 weeks.

I finally called it quits when McLane Ford in Fredericksburg, Tx called me and said that he was watching their first to arrive '17 F 350 being unloaded off the car hauler and it had every option I wanted except cab lights, I drove up and bought it that day at $2250 UNDER Invoice, was in and out of there in less than 2 hrs, 30 min on paperwork and the rest of getting it thru make ready.

Old 10-01-2017, 11:11 AM
CACRanger
Senior User
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Not sure what MacHack you do business with but my exp in TRYING to buy was not so good. I went to them on a recommendation and tried to order my '17 Superduty. I can honestly say they barely knew a SuperDuty from a can of Campbells soup. Someone posted a link to the Ford order sheet on here that gave all the info, finally took it to Hack and they said they no idea what it was and where did you get this? I gave them link which was on Ford site. Anyhow, what I thought would be a walk in and order, leave a deposit turned into a 6 week ordeal and never getting anything accomplished. They would not let me order like I always have...sit down with the order guy in front of the computer, place order, wait for confirmation, give deposit, go home and wait. Usually about 3 hr, not 6 weeks.

I finally called it quits when McLane Ford in Fredericksburg, Tx called me and said that he was watching their first to arrive '17 F 350 being unloaded off the car hauler and it had every option I wanted except cab lights, I drove up and bought it that day at $2250 UNDER Invoice, was in and out of there in less than 2 hrs, 30 min on paperwork and the rest of getting it thru make ready.
I have never ordered a vehicle through them, however I have purchased 4 cars/trucks from them since 2010. My salesman has always been EJ, and he is a pleasure to work with.

For warranty issues they have always been more than helpful and accommodating.

Now Autonation Ford in Katy is closer to me, so that is where I purchased my SD and I will return there again in the future.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 10-03-2017, 03:48 PM
Shawn_C
New User
Major Computer Issues On 2017 F-250

I am having similar issues with my 2017 Ford F250 Lariat Superduty 6.7L Powerstroke truck with 9000 miles. The computer starting going nuts flagging the hill decent, blind spot, cross traffic, air bags and the blinkers are blinking out of sync. I took it to my local for dealer 3 weeks ago and they still have not found the problem. They put me in a 2017 F150 XLT and it is also having issues with the computer. It doesn't want to go when taking off in 1st gear just revs and doesn't move until it shifts into second gear and flags the check engine light. You can turn the truck off for sec and the check engine light goes off and the truck will drive fine until it decides to act up again. The service manager called me to say that Ford will not do anymore for my F250 because I have it lifted and put bigger tires on it. Funny since they sell new trucks that are both lifted and have bigger tires. They want me to put the truck back to stock before they will attempt to diag it. I have a gps system on the truck and it is showing they put 104 Miles on it in 1 day alone and I get daily alerts showing hash breaking and acceleration alerts. I called Ford corporate and got absolutely nowhere. Have you gotten anywhere with your trucks issues?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:06 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn_C
I am having similar issues with my 2017 Ford F250 Lariat Superduty 6.7L Powerstroke truck with 9000 miles. The computer starting going nuts flagging the hill decent, blind spot, cross traffic, air bags and the blinkers are blinking out of sync. I took it to my local for dealer 3 weeks ago and they still have not found the problem. They put me in a 2017 F150 XLT and it is also having issues with the computer. It doesn't want to go when taking off in 1st gear just revs and doesn't move until it shifts into second gear and flags the check engine light. You can turn the truck off for sec and the check engine light goes off and the truck will drive fine until it decides to act up again. The service manager called me to say that Ford will not do anymore for my F250 because I have it lifted and put bigger tires on it. Funny since they sell new trucks that are both lifted and have bigger tires. They want me to put the truck back to stock before they will attempt to diag it. I have a gps system on the truck and it is showing they put 104 Miles on it in 1 day alone and I get daily alerts showing hash breaking and acceleration alerts. I called Ford corporate and got absolutely nowhere. Have you gotten anywhere with your trucks issues?

Ford can quickly make the claim that nothing will be fixed under warranty because of the lift / tires but they need to prove to you that your modifications are causing the problem.

The issues you are experiencing *could* be caused by your setup, I guess. How big is the lift / how big are the tires?

Old 10-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Shawn_C
New User
I installed the lift myself and can say without a doubt that the install was done as good if not better than the shop that lifts them for Gulf Coast Ford in Angleton Tx. I have worked on cars and motorcycles for 30 years doing custom paint and building show cars. I have all the tools needed and a lift is not a difficult install and this truck lifted super easy with no mods to the skyjacker 8.5" lift. I also put 38" tires on the truck. Its super easy for a company to say they will not honor a warranty for what ever reason and we as consumers really do not have the power to do much about it. I have gps on the truck and was getting daily updates and one day they put 104 miles on the truck with 5 acceleration and braking alerts. When I called the lady in service to tell her she said that she didnt believe it had happened and said she was going to talk to the tech and service mgr. I got a call from the service manager within 5 minutes and he was not happy to say the least. I sent them screenshots showing the map, miles, top speeds of 84 and the alerts for breaking and acceleration for just 3 of the 21 days they have had the truck. I know stuff happens and cars have issues sometimes but fix it and do not drive the truck like an idiot.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:01 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
I'm not doubting the quality of your install, Shawn_C. What I'm saying is that a lift and larger tires can affect certain things on a modern truck. Have you corrected the speedometer as much as possible? For example, BLIS may use the ground as a reference point and the computer may register the radar signal as "implausible" because of the new ride height. Additionally, Hill Descent uses input from the ABS sensors on each wheel. These may be giving off implausibility readings as well, because when you turn, the difference in speed readings between wheels is going to be greater than what the computer expects. Finally, stability control may use a gyro sensor in the roof to determine side to side tilt. Being on an 8.5" lift could result in greater movement...throwing off the reading. Just some thoughts.

In some regards, it is unfair for Ford to have to try and diagnose and fix a problem without the vehicle being in stock form...especially if some variables can throw off a diagnosis. Not that this is an issue for you right now, but running 38" tires without speedometer correction will cause the odometer to register significantly fewer miles than the vehicle has actually covered. When a truck gets towards the end of its bumper to bumper warranty, or powertrain warranty...the difference in actual miles would be significant.

On the other hand, given that some people are having plug connector issues, your lift would not affect that whatsoever.

Old 10-04-2017, 08:03 AM
RugbyRef
Senior User
Back to the original issue - any update OP??

Old 10-04-2017, 08:44 AM
Shawn_C
New User
Ford will not adjust the computer to compensate for my size tires. I understand what you are saying about the sensors but Ford knows that people who buy this truck usually lift and install bigger tires. The lift is not going to make the computer constantly flag codes 3 months after the lift was installed. I could see that if the issue started within a few days of being lifted and bigger tires installed not 3 months later. The truck started flagging the hill decent malfunction a few days after I purchased the truck and it was all stock. The check engine light was also going on and off intermittently. I was not to worried since the error would clear itself but when the dash lights up every 3-5 min with dings and you have to press ok to see the gauges it gets a little old. Sometimes the radio even becomes unresponsive and I guess the abs sensor is doing that as well. Lifting the truck and putting bigger tires on does not void the warranty at least thats what ford corporate has told me. If the lift is causing the truck to have major computer issues then we would be seeing threads like this light up since its a very popular truck to lift. The fact it is not tells me its more of a isolated issue. Ford would not sell brand new trucks that already have lifts and bigger tires if the truck could not handle it. Just saying

Old 10-04-2017, 09:13 AM
ScrmnWoody
New User
If this is a "known issue", has anyone tried making that harness more water resistant than it is in its current stock format? In my prior Jeep life, I know some folks did a few things to make their rides more able to tolerate water crossings.

Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 AM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by ScrmnWoody
If this is a "known issue", has anyone tried making that harness more water resistant than it is in its current stock format? In my prior Jeep life, I know some folks did a few things to make their rides more able to tolerate water crossings.
I'm thinking along the same lines...like would it be worth the time to open the connections and lightly coat them with dielectric grease?

Old 10-04-2017, 11:12 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,686 Likes on 2,747 Posts
Where is the connector pictured in post #25 located?

Old 10-04-2017, 03:20 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Anyone having these issues have build dates? Maybe its confined to a certain group of trucks and we can all check our harnesses and apply di-electric grease or tape the connector really well with electrical tape.

I too am curious where this connector is so I can have a peek at mine when I get my hands on the truck.

Sarge

Quick Reply: 2017 Superduty - Major Electronic Issues