2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Build Progress - VIN's and build dates

Old 05-24-2016, 01:03 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee
Clearance lights are just for looks. I'd order them if it was me, I love the look at night! It's not very expensive.
Clearance lights are a legal requirement for any vehicle over 80" wide. The 3 in the middle identify the vehicle as needing them and the outside lights define the space that it assumes on the highway.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:04 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Bat4x4
Are you ordering a 16 or a 17?
New truck is 2017

Old 05-24-2016, 05:13 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
How are you guys checking to see if your order is "processing ?"

It would still seem we are several months away from any deliveries.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
How are you guys checking to see if your order is "processing ?"

It would still seem we are several months away from any deliveries.
I called my saleslady last Friday to see if there were any updates and she reported the change in status. She seems to be as excited about the truck as I am and checks the order at least once a week to see its status at Ford.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:43 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Rasalas
I called my saleslady last Friday to see if there were any updates and she reported the change in status. She seems to be as excited about the truck as I am and checks the order at least once a week to see its status at Ford.
Did she provide an estimated delivery date?

There is a website I found that lets you track orders: Ford Custom Order Tracking | ordertracking.ford.com

You enter in your order number, dealer number, and last name - all stuff on the order sheet. However, it did not work for me, and apparently does not work for many people. Some people say it eventually works but lags behind in time.

Since I modified my order twice, and have yet to actually pick up a copy of the latest order, I wonder if the order number actually changes?

Old 05-24-2016, 08:48 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
There is no delivery date available at this time. The estimated delivery will come when the VIN is available. I was also told at the time of my order that I could not change the order. The only positive way to ensure no foul ups was to cancel the original order and re-order with the changes made. This may be a dealer policy but evidently there have been problems with changed orders, especially when addition or change of one item adds or deletes other options. Some of the ordering process needs to be navigated like a corn maize.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:52 AM
troverman
Hotshot
I was also told at the time of my order that I could not change the order. The only positive way to ensure no foul ups was to cancel the original order and re-order with the changes made. This may be a dealer policy but evidently there have been problems with changed orders, especially when addition or change of one item adds or deletes other options. Some of the ordering process needs to be navigated like a corn maize.
Yeah, I'm hoping my order is exactly the way I want it. For change one, I added the dual rear wheels. Subsequently, I added the diesel. Unfortunately, both those changes cause incompatibilities with other options that were selected. Why would you not get what is on the order sheet?

Nevertheless, production is still slated for July, as I understand it, with the very first deliveries still happening in August, and dealer stock being priority, so I'm still planning on late August or early September as when I get mine...maybe even later.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:03 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Dealer said not to worry too much about priority since mine was ordered in my name with the priority 10. The regional manager was in the store the day I ordered the vehicle and said it should be an early arrival at the dealer. But he did not say when that would be and he might have omitted that it would be early as far as custom built trucks but behind stock. From what I had posted earlier I also believe the priority has more to do with the specific dealership than it does overall in the universe. And I also understand that building the stock orders helps sort out issues on the assembly line to ensure all goes correctly. I am sure any truck off the line would be right but I would rather have some other vehicle have the problems and mine be correct and smooth sailing all the way through.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:25 AM
troverman
Hotshot
Dealer said not to worry too much about priority since mine was ordered in my name with the priority 10. The regional manager was in the store the day I ordered the vehicle and said it should be an early arrival at the dealer. But he did not say when that would be and he might have omitted that it would be early as far as custom built trucks but behind stock. From what I had posted earlier I also believe the priority has more to do with the specific dealership than it does overall in the universe. And I also understand that building the stock orders helps sort out issues on the assembly line to ensure all goes correctly. I am sure any truck off the line would be right but I would rather have some other vehicle have the problems and mine be correct and smooth sailing all the way through.
Agreed. I've never ordered a truck before, but from what I understand from others here, on a brand-new model, dealer stock orders come first...and may have to be sent back for minor repairs. I would guess they would appear "perfect" to the customer. 10 priorities come after the "OK to Ship" date, and that date is variable based upon the number of issues they have with the stocking order trucks.

I do not want mine before late August, so I can pay down my current truck and maximize trade-in equity, but I don't think I'll have to worry about getting it before late August anyway.

By the way, what truck did you order again? I actually enjoy trying to remember what everyone has ordered so far.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master

By the way, what truck did you order again? I actually enjoy trying to remember what everyone has ordered so far.
I ordered a F350 SuperCab 4wd Lariat with the camper package and more. Watching you and others change their orders was difficult, at times I wanted to upgrade to a crew cab and Ultimate Lariat but with the 8' box the truck gets to be a little too much for my taste. My wife and I do just fine with the SC and our camper on board. The 48 gal tank and LED lights would be nice but ultimately not necessary. We are planning a trip to Alaska next year after she retires and the additional fuel capacity would be great for that trip. I took a truck with 50gal tank to California last fall and saw how beneficial the extra fuel was across the desert. It is not so much that the smaller tanks don't work but it sure takes worries out of seeing the sign "141 miles until next services." And the trip to Alaska has several and the last stop is not always the least expensive. This is a big thing for me. Cars and trucks alike we have been lucky at finding low mileage vehicles which are just to our liking with accessories and even color. All of our cars run well over 100K and my trucks are usually into the 250K range before retiring. Except for the one other order from the factory which was a 76 F-150 Van. Came in smashed in the sliding door which the dealer repaired but the paint faded out in 3 years. Hit 2 deer, second one in exact same RH front corner a week out of the shop from the first one (try explaining that to the insurance company) and started burning oil at 80k (351 Windsor) due to Quaker State oil co selling recycled oil as new. And as usual I had disposed of the vehicle before the class action suit was filed. SO this is going to be my first BEST vehicle purchase ordered to my specs exactly.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master

BTW I need to try another trip up Mt Washington when the new one comes. That might be one of the best places to play with the jake brake coming back down. All three of my trips have would up in the clouds but it was still worth it. The cog railway is a little intimidating recognizing the age and the effects of gravity on heavy machinery. Another reason to buy the diesel, though.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:47 AM
troverman
Hotshot
BTW I need to try another trip up Mt Washington when the new one comes. That might be one of the best places to play with the jake brake coming back down. All three of my trips have would up in the clouds but it was still worth it. The cog railway is a little intimidating recognizing the age and the effects of gravity on heavy machinery. Another reason to buy the diesel, though.
I think the S/C will still be very nice. You'll still get better fuel capacity than the 2016 trucks. Don't kid yourself, it will be a beautiful truck. It is also superior off-road because of the shorter wheelbase. I imagine the payload is higher as well.

I climb Mt. Washington every year around Labor Day. I've driven up it a couple of times, never ridden the Cog, but depending upon which hiking trail you take I generally cross the tracks up near the top. I think that train and track is pretty well maintained. When hiking, I've seen crews working on the tracks in the past. The trains are mostly all replaced from coal and steam to diesel at this point...but that change only happened within the last few years.

I've never driven the auto road in a truck...always a Land Rover. Thanks to permanent 4WD with a center diff, I could engage 4-Low with no binding, and just creep down at whatever speed I was comfortable with. Lots of people burn up brakes on that road - I think the exhaust brake would work pretty well if you could keep it in first gear. It needs RPMs to work well.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:01 PM
KeysMako192
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, you guys are already able to submit orders....nice. Wish South Florida would catch up. I've been pestering my dealership to order the 450 Platinum, and was told today the ball for the 2017's won't start rolling until July Hopefully the old saying of "All good things come to those who wait" will prove true during this endeavor. Congrats to the early orders

Old 05-24-2016, 06:09 PM
fidel.medrano
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KeysMako192
Wow, you guys are already able to submit orders....nice. Wish South Florida would catch up. I've been pestering my dealership to order the 450 Platinum, and was told today the ball for the 2017's won't start rolling until July Hopefully the old saying of "All good things come to those who wait" will prove true during this endeavor. Congrats to the early orders
If I were you I would find another dealer. There are 1000s of dealers out there willing to bend over backwards to get your business.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:11 PM
AK_SuperDuty
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Anyone getting build dates and VIN's from their dealers yet? I called my dealer after the revised order guide came out and had to have him remove the upfitter interface module to make the order "clean". He said he expects to have order build date and VIN within a week or two.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build Progress - VIN's and build dates