6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Keep old SCT X3 or upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:58 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep old SCT X3 or upgrade?

Hey Guys,

Still new to the whole scene and trolling around here. More of an opinion question for you.

I have the tuner below which I believe is the SCT X3 that came with the truck and a EDGE CS monitor(which i love). I'm thinking of upgrading to the EDGE CTS2, the CS is just to dang small for my eyes Also going to add EGT and fuel press sensors

Should I keep the SCT X3 or upgrade to the X4? Any reason why the one I have isn't sufficient? Its not used but maybe 4-5 times a year when switching from a street to a tow tune or something.

I had thought about going to a livewire but 1) I already have 3 custom tunes on the x3 & 2) can the livewire do fuel pressure easily like the edge?

What would you do?
Thanks!

Old 02-15-2016, 02:25 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm still using my X2. No real reason to upgrade if you're just changing tunes occasionally. I haven't had my stock tune in my truck in about 8 years--LOL. You won't like the livewire. It doesn't have as many PID's as the Edge and I don't know about the fuel pressure as I use an analog gauge for that and EGT's because of response time.

Old 02-15-2016, 03:10 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I'm still using my X2. No real reason to upgrade if you're just changing tunes occasionally. I haven't had my stock tune in my truck in about 8 years--LOL. You won't like the livewire. It doesn't have as many PID's as the Edge and I don't know about the fuel pressure as I use an analog gauge for that and EGT's because of response time.
Awesome just what I wanted to hear, and I have a feeling from research I wont like the livewire as you mentioned. If you don't mind me asking what tunes do you run on your truck? The tunes that came with mine are from innovative diesel as far as I can tell.

Up until 20 min ago I've been running his street tune, just uploaded the xtreme street, will see how it does on the way home I really haven't like how the street tune shifted. I'd pull off with moderate throttle and before I could get to far it was in 5th overdrive. And if I want to get it to downshift to pass someone on the highway you have to go at least 95% throttle which is annoying

My truck is studded so i'm not afraid to throw power at it, just want the tranny to shift well

Old 02-15-2016, 03:20 PM
TooHuge
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable
Awesome just what I wanted to hear, and I have a feeling from research I wont like the livewire as you mentioned. If you don't mind me asking what tunes do you run on your truck? The tunes that came with mine are from innovative diesel as far as I can tell.

Up until 20 min ago I've been running his street tune, just uploaded the xtreme street, will see how it does on the way home I really haven't like how the street tune shifted. I'd pull off with moderate throttle and before I could get to far it was in 5th overdrive. And if I want to get it to downshift to pass someone on the highway you have to go at least 95% throttle which is annoying

My truck is studded so i'm not afraid to throw power at it, just want the tranny to shift well
I have IDP tunes and they like to get in OD pretty quick. When I am just driving around town I use my tow button to keep it from going in and out of OD all day.

Old 02-16-2016, 04:16 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Keep it.
I would just download the software that they have so you can backup it on
a Windows computer. Remove any tune that you have on with that tuner and
then update the firmware of the tuner and then you can reinstall your tune
and you good.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Keep it.
I would just download the software that they have so you can backup it on
a Windows computer. Remove any tune that you have on with that tuner and
then update the firmware of the tuner and then you can reinstall your tune
and you good.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder
I need to get myself a USB cable, previous owner didn't provide one with the tuner.

I see on SCTs website there is the Updater program, is that what I need to use? What i'm afraid of is some devices like ipods when first plugged in will require a clean wipe of the device before downloading anything new to it. I just don't want to loose what I have.

Wasn't sure if the X3 is in some way married to the program from the previous owner and wont allow me to get the tunes off it like you mentioned

Old 02-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
It's your run of the mill USB cable. Give SCT a call and ask for some help.
The update program I think is not the same as the backup tool.
There should not be a problem with the former owner because you have
the tuner and the truck with the tunes in it.

If I recall correctly the program that lets you data log with the tuner is the one
that also does the backup function.

https://www.sctflash.com/support

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 02-16-2016, 03:12 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Yeah it uses an old printer to usb cable, gonna have to go up in the attic and find one of those

Thanks for the tips, got the program downloaded

Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable

Currently I'm running an old Spartan tune, but I have ID tunes also. They both get to OD really quick (5th before 30 mph) The ID street is good for in town driving, but runs out in the upper band really fast. The X race is a little harsh for daily driving but does well on the highway. The Spartan is a cross between the other 2 in transmission operation but doesn't run out on top.