6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

'03 F350 High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 12:49 PM
outinthecold
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'03 F350 High Pressure Fuel Pump Replacement

Hello, this is my first time posting on here, I have 3 questions and please excuse my ignorance. I am not a mechanic and have limited knowledge of diesel engine maintenance.
1.) Is it really necessary to pull the cab off my '03 F350 to replace the High Pressure Fuel Pump? My local Ford dealership want $3150 for the job.
2.) Is $3150 about right for this kind of job or is that high?
The truck is 12 years old, has 140,000 miles and the rear wheel wells and body under the rear doors are showing rust pretty badly thanks to the salt used in our CT winters. I've made other repairs in the past year to the tune of $2500 for an oil leak, fuel leak and misc other "minor" ailments.
3.)Is this vehicle even worth spending that kind of money on at this point?

Old 03-29-2015, 12:56 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you mean high pressure oil pump, the fuel pump is mounted on the frame under the cab.
Lots of places that fix trucks claim they know a bunch about stuff like this and when the bill comes, truck isn't right and you're out $1000s. How do you know it's bad?

Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM
dannyboy950
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For one thing spend a litle time looking thru the tech folder. Lots of good info and tests you can use and how to run them,the values you should see and values you shouldn't see.
Invest in something that can read live data and pull codes. You will need this to help diagnose and work on your truck. There are a lot of optios available. Full scan tools; monitors;smart phone apps designed for diagnoseing your truck.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:08 PM
outinthecold
New User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
you mean high pressure oil pump, the fuel pump is mounted on the frame under the cab.
Lots of places that fix trucks claim they know a bunch about stuff like this and when the bill comes, truck isn't right and you're out $1000s. How do you know it's bad?
To WatsonR, Thanks for the response, the dealer said "High Pressure Fuel Pump" and I only know its bad because the truck stopped running. I had the check engine light come on, checked it with a code reader and it was "P2290 Injector Control Pressure Low" made an appointment to bring the truck in for service but then lost power on the highway pushing the gas pedal the engine was revving and I was going slower and slower until I got to a safe spot to pull off the road and shut it down. It would not restart after that and it seemed no fuel was going through.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:12 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,511 Likes on 1,746 Posts
Our trucks do not have a high pressure fuel pump.

If you choose not to get a gauge reading system like the scangaugeII, then you will be at the mercy of believing what you are told. As Watson said, it could end up costing you more money than you need to spend.

The cab does not have to be removed for the high pressure oil pump (which is what actuates the injectors and causes fuel to be injected). It should not cost $3150. It is a common issue with the 03 and early 04 model year, but with a scangaugeII, you can get some information that may confirm the diagnosis.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:13 PM
outinthecold
New User
Originally Posted by dannyboy950
For one thing spend a litle time looking thru the tech folder. Lots of good info and tests you can use and how to run them,the values you should see and values you shouldn't see.
Invest in something that can read live data and pull codes. You will need this to help diagnose and work on your truck. There are a lot of optios available. Full scan tools; monitors;smart phone apps designed for diagnoseing your truck.
Thank you, I have looked through the tech folder a little, but was trying to get input about my specific issue as most of the info in the folder dealt with other engines or model years. I'll keep checking though, there is a lot of info to go through.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:29 PM
outinthecold
New User
Originally Posted by bismic
Our trucks do not have a high pressure fuel pump.

If you choose not to get a gauge reading system like the scangaugeII, then you will be at the mercy of believing what you are told. As Watson said, it could end up costing you more money than you need to spend.

The cab does not have to be removed for the high pressure oil pump (which is what actuates the injectors and causes fuel to be injected). It should not cost $3150. It is a common issue with the 03 and early 04 model year, but with a scangaugeII, you can get some information that may confirm the diagnosis.
Ok thanks, I will look into getting that scangaugell and will be speaking to the shop about the hp fuel vs hp oil pump.

Trending Topics

Old 03-29-2015, 01:32 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The fuel is pressurized to around 55psi by the fuel pump and regulated by a spring near the fuel bowl. The high pressure oil pump is pressurized to around 3000psi (maybe more) and controls the injectors to open/close them (injector control pressure). If ICP is lower than 500, truck won't start. Unpluged, it's forced it to use 500, still won't start, means the HPOP isn't making enough pressure to run.

Could be an leak in the system or the pump itself. That is a lot of work to get to it, top of the motor comes off except heads. If you decide to have it done, get a better HPOP, I think Bullet Proof Diesel makes a billet unit that is superior to the OEM pump. Have them install that instead of OEM. I'd also consider an oil cooler since your already there, OEM on that one for sure.... after a chemical flush of the cooling system... do not skip the flush if you do a cooler.

Truck bed new is $2500, used even cheaper and these motor have been known to run well into the 300K range if taken good care of, even more!

tough call... sell my truck for scrap prices or fix it for $4000 and drive until it falls apart... buy a new truck and take the chance of having to do the work anyway.

My dealer telling me that's it's a fuel pump issue and knowing it's really the high pressure oil pump may make me rethink who I take it to.
Good luck

Randy