Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Block Heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:28 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Block Heater

Is there a long term effect on the engine if you pull your truck in every night and then while you are at work all day?
Or any effect at all?

Old 10-24-2013, 08:34 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by DHamSTER
Is there a long term effect on the engine if you pull your truck in every night and then while you are at work all day?
Or any effect at all?

instead of 'pull', I think that you meant 'plug'. No need to have it plugged in all night. Two hours before you need the truck will work fine. Have your truck hooked up to a heavy duty timer to come on about two hours before you need it. Will it 'hurt' it. Don't think so, just use a lot of electricity.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:35 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
It might shorten the life of the block heater (they are good for so many hours of use). I put a timer on mine.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tugly
It might shorten the life of the block heater (they are good for so many hours of use). I put a timer on mine.
Shorten the life of the block heater meaning the element right?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:07 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Thanks btw. I'm new to the diesels and winter. I Just replaced the block heater power cord so I have a brand new heating element still in the box, so I do have a back up.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Thanks btw. I'm new to the diesels and winter. I Just replaced the block heater power cord so I have a brand new heating element still in the box, so I do have a back up.

The big thing about Diesels and winter starting ..... is your glow plugs..... which means you want to make sure that you Glow Plug Relay (GPR) is working correctly. Any questions on that?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:28 AM
DHamSTER
Senior User
I have done a few cold starts but the most significant one was last week. I tried to start it about 12 times before I got it to start....

Where can I find that relay? I'm sure that's cheaper than getting the plugs.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM
diehardstroker
Elder User
GPR is a about $45 for OEM from dieselorings and Motorcraft glow plugs are $10.88 a piece (you need 8) from dieselorings
if you have a good GPR but your glow plugs are shot then it still wont work properly. but you can have good plugs and bad GPR as well

Old 10-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
I have done a few cold starts but the most significant one was last week. I tried to start it about 12 times before I got it to start....

Where can I find that relay? I'm sure that's cheaper than getting the plugs.
Get yourself a plug in volt meter that plugs into the dash power port. I bought this from Wally world..

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive

You should see the following reading if the GPR is working.
1) when plugged in you should see 12.5v

2) when you turn the key to on and the wait to start light comes on it should read 11.5v. glow plug relay is 'on'.... if the voltage does not 'drop' then you may have a problem with the relay.

3) when the 'wait to start' light goes out (and you had the voltage drop to 11.5v) if it is really cold then cycle the glow plugs again to get the chamber really hot. Now turn the key to start the truck. your voltage meter will drop to about 11v. If the meter drops below 10.5 the truck Will Not Start as you need at least 10.5v for it to start.

4) when the truck starts, the voltage should be 12.5v. When the GPR shuts off the voltage will slowly rise to 14.5v. this last number of the voltage is the output of the alternator.

5) Do you have any questions?

Old 10-24-2013, 12:00 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
You should be able to see this with your torque app Dylan as it allows you to see the voltage

Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brother Les
Get yourself a plug in volt meter that plugs into the dash power port. I bought this from Wally world..

INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive INNOVA 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor : Amazon.com : Automotive

You should see the following reading if the GPR is working.
1) when plugged in you should see 12.5v

2) when you turn the key to on and the wait to start light comes on it should read 11.5v. glow plug relay is 'on'.... if the voltage does not 'drop' then you may have a problem with the relay.

3) when the 'wait to start' light goes out (and you had the voltage drop to 11.5v) if it is really cold then cycle the glow plugs again to get the chamber really hot. Now turn the key to start the truck. your voltage meter will drop to about 11v. If the meter drops below 10.5 the truck Will Not Start as you need at least 10.5v for it to start.

4) when the truck starts, the voltage should be 12.5v. When the GPR shuts off the voltage will slowly rise to 14.5v. this last number of the voltage is the output of the alternator.

5) Do you have any questions?
Thanks brother!
Great info! I'll look into it

Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Originally Posted by diehardstroker
You should be able to see this with your torque app Dylan as it allows you to see the voltage
I hardly use that sucker. It's hard enough keeping one phone charged let alone 2.... Haha

Old 10-24-2013, 01:19 PM
diehardstroker
Elder User
Its worth charging to see if your gpr is working lol

Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Km1210
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what it looks like when you try to start your truck in winter temps with a bad GPR. This was my previous 7.3 with a bad Glow Plug Relay. White smoke is a good hint that your glow plugs are not working, in this case, my GPR wasn't working so neither were the glow plugs. I changed the relay, and fired first time every morning. And do yourself a favor and do the GPR LED as well so you can tell when your GPR is working. Link to GPR LED mod:https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...wmriceman.html

Old 10-24-2013, 04:14 PM
DHamSTER
Senior User
Wow thanks!

Yea I was blowing huge amounts of white smoke....

Quick Reply: Block Heater