Washington Chapter Washington Chapter
Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

May BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 11:10 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sean, you're putting ugly pictures in my head!
but yeah, it is important. before i installed my center console, i got by with a hole in the crap-pile in my milk crate, but upgrading to a real console took away my only stable place for it. otherwise i would have made something 2 years ago

Old 05-15-2013, 12:58 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I bought a $1 car organizer from Walmart a while ago and used it in my old mustang, then modified it to fit my ranger between the awards and the shifter, now it sits on my bench in the bronco and provides a place for the essentials. Matches, flashlight(that barely works) and my hacky sacks. I'd like to find another and place it somewhere in the beetle but I have to find the best spot.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:33 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Happy Wednesday! May your day have many Humps!

-The Great

Old 05-15-2013, 02:05 PM
harleydeen98258
Junior User
Well I've decided to tow my '93 to my buddies autoshop in Marysville so he can run some tests or scans. I dropped the tank, got rid of the old gas, put fresh gas with a bottle of Heet and still same results...

Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Harley,
I guess I missed what it was doing/not doing.

Sean

Old 05-15-2013, 11:55 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I may have found out have since forgotten.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
yeah, i can't remember what harley had going on, but i made some progress on my truck

so that vacuum issue i was talking about, i got it solved. the problem was loose connections for the vacuum hoses at the VRV

but on the way home, my vibration issue got a bit worse, and the steering just felt unstable. so of course i started looking around when i got home. both front tires out of round by roughly 1/8", tread measures at 0.19" compared to 0.32 and perfectly round when i installed them 2 months ago. front end checked out no worse than usual, except for a loose cap under the right kingpin, not a big deal.
but all that said, this vibration is driving me nuts, and i'm trying to put off buying new tires for a couple more months

Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
yeah, i can't remember what harley had going on, but i made some progress on my truck

so that vacuum issue i was talking about, i got it solved. the problem was loose connections for the vacuum hoses at the VRV

but on the way home, my vibration issue got a bit worse, and the steering just felt unstable. so of course i started looking around when i got home. both front tires out of round by roughly 1/8", tread measures at 0.19" compared to 0.32 and perfectly round when i installed them 2 months ago. front end checked out no worse than usual, except for a loose cap under the right kingpin, not a big deal.
but all that said, this vibration is driving me nuts, and i'm trying to put off buying new tires for a couple more months
Jeeze this thing is quite an issue. I wonder what's causing it... When was the last time you had newish rims put on? Maybe the current ones are slightly warped causing the tire to wear way too quickly.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:33 AM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
i can't say i've ever put brand new rims on it, but its seen probably a dozen different rims since i've had it. those silly-looking 16.5s are just there till they wear out and i throw them away, but until then its delaying my need to spend another thousand bucks on tires.
but really, i shouldn't measure my own tread depth, its just a bad habit that lets me realize how fast i wear them out.
when this whole thing started, i had a set of 4 coopers on here that i bought new in august, one pair of them started scaring me so i slapped those 16.5s on the front and took the others in to get balanced. it seemed smooth for several days, then the vibes started coming back. since then, no matter what i've traded around, i seem to be stuck with this vibe coming and going at random.
but as it is tonight, i drove home with a death grip, just waiting for something to blow out. i hate feeling that way, but at least i'm now carrying a spare in that size as well as my usual spare, so its less of a hassle if i do lose one

Old 05-16-2013, 05:17 AM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
I know that death grip drive pretty well. That whole issue with my tire falling off really scared me and it got so bad that I was more afraid to drive my own bronco. The feeling sucks but over time after fixing a few things and figuring out why my brakes were grabbing, I feel a bit better.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
well, i decided to swap the fronts out for my other pair of 16.5s to see what happens. i'll be late for work, but better at home than on the side of this darn highway. i'll let y'all know how they treat me today

Old 05-16-2013, 02:00 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
well, its been nice and smooth so far today. i guess the tires were the problem

Old 05-16-2013, 02:03 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good afternoon! Only 1 more day left until the weekend! 81* and Sunny in ILLINOIS today!

-The Great

Old 05-16-2013, 02:21 PM
GruesomeJeans
Post Fiend
What is the year on the tires? Maybe its separating on the inside causing a cupping issue, then causing a vibration. The only other thing that comes to mind is worn bushings but you've gone through them iirc.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:35 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
i can't find a date code on those 16.5s, but their appearance suggests 3-5 years old. the 16s are only a year old and they were the first ones to give me the bad vibes. i won't say they aren't bad, but they aren't old.
i asked about some new michelins, and they're gonna run me $996 for 4 of them, so a thousand bucks even. those will be my next new rubbers, but i'm gonna put it off as long as i have good enough tires laying around

Quick Reply: May BS Thread