Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Build Thread: '49 F321

Old 10-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
Great Build Jeff! Been a while since i've looked 'er over. (had to read a few pages!) Coming along very nicely! You're doing a fantastic job! Never been through a tranny myself, so watching with interest. I have an ATSG for C4/C5 trannies and am really impressed with the info they have in them. Need to get one for a C6 and maybe a few others. Handy info to have around ya know. Keep up the good work and keep those updates coming!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dano78 View Post
Great Build Jeff! Been a while since i've looked 'er over. (had to read a few pages!) Coming along very nicely! You're doing a fantastic job! Never been through a tranny myself, so watching with interest. I have an ATSG for C4/C5 trannies and am really impressed with the info they have in them. Need to get one for a C6 and maybe a few others. Handy info to have around ya know. Keep up the good work and keep those updates coming!
Thanks Dano! I am still working on the AOD. I have done several modifications/upgrades to it. I don't have it done due to lack of cash flow, but it's getting there. I have almost got the mechanical assembly done and then break into the valvebody. It's not bad, but it is taking me forever! I just want to make sure it's done right the first time.
I have to thank BlueOvalRage here, and another member 1965F100
Dan Gilsdorf-Silverfox Performance Transmissions.
He is also a primary member of clickclickracing,com AOD's are the main course there.
Also JK080 ?? he is another, and stuart??? LOL I can't remember all the names, but all have answered my many questions. Thanks to all!
There are many important lubrication upgrades, upgraded drums, friction plates, steel plates, overdrive band, reverse band, new bushings, seals, shift kit, governor hi rev kit, 7 tooth output shaft, 2600 rpm stall lock-up converter. and some other stuff I am sure I forgot. The real story will be told when it moves the truck! I will have to wait and see!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Dano78
Elder User
Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.Dano78 has a good reputation on FTE.
I'd definitely be interested in more detail what upgrades your did. I have a couple AODs laying around here and one will be ending up in one of my other cars here shortly and would like the lowdown on what you did to yours, if you'd share it.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Jeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud ofJeff and Nicolle has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Dano78 View Post
I'd definitely be interested in more detail what upgrades your did. I have a couple AODs laying around here and one will be ending up in one of my other cars here shortly and would like the lowdown on what you did to yours, if you'd share it.
Absolutely! I am on my phone now, but later today/ tonight i will get you some of the info i have used. gotta wait til i get home...lol

Old 10-20-2012, 05:06 PM
AeroCare
Senior User
AeroCare is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I love this thread. I gives me hope for my '49 F1. I'm going to change it from pick up to flatbed so I'm looking forward to that part in your thread.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
I haven't felt much progress this year. But the engine is close to done and the tranny is finally finished!
Took all year, but I refuse to use a credit card to build this!
I hope you enjoy it as much as me...
The front engine dress is '96 Ford Explorer...look at all the room between the fan blade and radiator! Hope everyone is doing great!
Today I feel good about the progress!

Attached Images     
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM
gt40racing
Senior User
gt40racing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looking good!!!!!!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Originally Posted by gt40racing View Post
Looking good!!!!!!!!
Thanks GT
You are an inspiration!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all51PanelMan is a name known to all
Looks good. Have you moved the radiator support to the set of holes in front? This should close up the gap between the fan blade and the radiator, unless the fan blade hits the radiator in this position.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan View Post
Looks good. Have you moved the radiator support to the set of holes in front? This should close up the gap between the fan blade and the radiator, unless the fan blade hits the radiator in this position.
Hi Ilya! I didn't try the rear set of holes yet. I just want to set it up and see what it looks like. I will certainly look at that! whats normal for a gap? 2" ?

Old 11-29-2012, 09:36 AM
preppypyro
Posting Legend
preppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud ofpreppypyro has much to be proud of
Jeff that engine looks simply badass. Love it!

Old 11-29-2012, 04:08 PM
barnfind 51
Senior User
barnfind 51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
!

Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle View Post
I haven't felt much progress this year. But the engine is close to done and the tranny is finally finished!
The front engine dress is '96 Ford Explorer...look at all the room between the fan blade and radiator! Hope everyone is doing great!
Hey Jeff your motor looks great. I am about to build my trans mounts and motor mounts. I was wondering if you could have moved your motor closer to the front? I know you said you had about 1/2 inch from the firewall.But anyway looking good man keep up the great work.. Buzzzy

Old 11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Postmaster
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
Jeff that engine looks simply badass. Love it!
Thanks Sheldon! Good to hear from ya!

Originally Posted by barnfind 51 View Post
Hey Jeff your motor looks great. I am about to build my trans mounts and motor mounts. I was wondering if you could have moved your motor closer to the front? I know you said you had about 1/2 inch from the firewall.But anyway looking good man keep up the great work.. Buzzzy
Hi George! Using this '96 Ford explorer powerplant, if moving it forward, would put the oil pan sump up against the JAG rack-n-pinion. raising it puts the AOD tranny up against the uncut firewall. The drivers side head is close to the firewall, but not a concern on the 302...351W is really close....the 1/2" you remember. Hope that helps?

Old 11-30-2012, 06:40 AM
barnfind 51
Senior User
Thanks Sheldon! Good to hear from ya!

Hi George! Using this '96 Ford explorer powerplant, if moving it forward, would put the oil pan sump up against the JAG rack-n-pinion. raising it puts the AOD tranny up against the uncut firewall. The drivers side head is close to the firewall, but not a concern on the 302...351W is really close....the 1/2" you remember. Hope that helps?
Hey Jeff! I have the little 302 Ha Ha not that big boy 351.. I did put some pics in my gallery,of my motor. I also so did get the same pan as you used.
Thanks for all your help. George

Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 PM
barnfind 51
Senior User
Hey Jeff I was looking at your pic of the pan and was wondering how high off the crossmember are you? Also how about the space between your rear sump and the rack arm. I have about 1/2 from rear sump to rack. and the front pan about 2 1/2 inches. I am going to try get my cab on. I am by my self so have to prop motor and use the lift to move the cab. Lots of fun but I think i am pretty close. I do have the same pan as you recommended.
Thanks for all your help.Buzzy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Build Thread: '49 F321

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.