Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Sandy - Jaime's Project thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:08 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cool, I figured I was going to go type R since the place im going to do this at has the Type Rs but if I can get away with type X im going that route, yea its more $$$ then I want to spend, but I figure if I want it right and good I might as well do it the way I want, plus after being on unemployment and dealing with the chit I have lately I think I at least deserve a little something special right??

Old 12-11-2011, 07:09 AM
Scooter70
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandy great project. I would like to make a suggestion. Turn your horn backwards. It will keep road grime out of the trumpet and it does not affect sound. Its an old truck driver tip when hiding trumpet horns.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:17 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Scooter70
Sandy great project. I would like to make a suggestion. Turn your horn backwards. It will keep road grime out of the trumpet and it does not affect sound. Its an old truck driver tip when hiding trumpet horns.
cool thanks, Im gonna try to get new trumpets that are a bit better anyways, I think water or something may have gotten in them from our last major water event here so I am going to replace them also need to replace the stock horns too LOL!!

Old 12-11-2011, 07:30 AM
Scooter70
Senior User
Just trying to help. Where are you located? Might be able to send you somewhere. I drove truck for 25 years.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Rain? Jaime, have you been getting rain?!!!! It has been a very wet year that's for sure! As for subs, I have a JL Audio sub in my truck. I don't know anything else about it other than it's a JL Audio. And it's plenty for me!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:21 AM
SideWinder4.9l
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Jaime...The Type R's are very good....I had a set of 12's and liked them...

The DVC (Dual voice coil) Type R's, are nice...If one voice coil blows, simply hookup the other side....

I don't think you can fit the Type X's in behind your seat....Might not even get the R's in there....

Old 12-11-2011, 11:33 AM
awils961
Senior User
I hope you did some sanding before you painted underneath, other wise, it will just rust from underneath the paint. However painting like that will provide some protection, and slow the rusting process down, but eventualy the paint will start to peal. best advice, sand every bit of rust, through on some marine grade rust converter, then mental primer paint, and go from there. but otherwise, truck does look nice.

Old 12-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
Rain? Jaime, have you been getting rain?!!!! It has been a very wet year that's for sure! As for subs, I have a JL Audio sub in my truck. I don't know anything else about it other than it's a JL Audio. And it's plenty for me!
We had some monsoon type rain a while back here in Louisville, not sure if you got it where your at John but it was nasty as ill get out...

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l
Jaime...The Type R's are very good....I had a set of 12's and liked them...

The DVC (Dual voice coil) Type R's, are nice...If one voice coil blows, simply hookup the other side....

I don't think you can fit the Type X's in behind your seat....Might not even get the R's in there....
Wes, Ill look into the DVC, granted I may or may not but I will be talking to a local audio guy that I know and I will have him check, he said he has some Type R's in stock that would fit our trucks, I had him go look up our trucks and see what sizes would fit (already knew from the info from you guys ) and had him check for proper sizes

Originally Posted by awils961
I hope you did some sanding before you painted underneath, other wise, it will just rust from underneath the paint. However painting like that will provide some protection, and slow the rusting process down, but eventualy the paint will start to peal. best advice, sand every bit of rust, through on some marine grade rust converter, then mental primer paint, and go from there. but otherwise, truck does look nice.
I did, as best as I could with out any power sanders as I have limited work space and what not, so I sanded as best as I could, and I did use a rust reformer type thing so that should help, I didn't get every little square inch tho but I did get what I could, as best as I could

Just trying to help. Where are you located? Might be able to send you somewhere. I drove truck for 25 years.
Im here In Louisville, Ky Scooter. You? any help you can provide would be accepted and I would be thankful for

Yea a few months ago around October or November (i think, may have been before) we had a monsoon like rain here and I think water splashed into them unknowingly as I know I went through a few puddles and what not...

Old 12-11-2011, 01:45 PM
awils961
Senior User
Well that good, rust is a tricky basterd. Nice truck though. you gunna get a new paintjob, to mach the underbody?

Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
We've had plenty of rain too! I know you guys in Louisville got hit hard as well. Actually, pretty much the whole state has been hit hard. According to our local weather people, this is the wettest year on record, and the year ain't done!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
Scooter70
Senior User
In March there is the world's largest truck (Big Rigs) show @ the fairgrounds. You should be able to find all kinds of neat stuff for your pick up. I'm up here in Wi.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:27 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
In March there is the world's largest truck (Big Rigs) show @ the fairgrounds. You should be able to find all kinds of neat stuff for your pick up. I'm up here in Wi.
I work that show every year. Unfortunately, I don't get much time to look around. It's called the Mid-America trucking Show. How to Attend the 2012 MATS | Mid-America Trucking Show It don't cost anything to attend if you register ahead of time. Just register as an owner-operator and they will send you passes. Just be ready for some junk mail from different vendors. And, you are an owner-operator. You do own your own pickup truck! The show is for semi trucks and such, but there are some things there for the smaller trucks too, just not much. If you want to see chrome, this is the place!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:36 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
I work that show every year. Unfortunately, I don't get much time to look around. It's called the Mid-America trucking Show. How to Attend the 2012 MATS | Mid-America Trucking Show It don't cost anything to attend if you register ahead of time. Just register as an owner-operator and they will send you passes. Just be ready for some junk mail from different vendors. And, you are an owner-operator. You do own your own pickup truck! The show is for semi trucks and such, but there are some things there for the smaller trucks too, just not much. If you want to see chrome, this is the place!!!
well if your in it let me know and ill try to look you up man, talk chrome (and chromed out rigs LOL!!!) and shoot the chit I hope to find some small things for the truck but hey your right Im an owner-operator of a "truck" lol!!! Thanks for the tip now to go find my camera so I can take pics of my next project lol!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:23 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Jaime74656
well if your in it let me know and ill try to look you up man, talk chrome (and chromed out rigs LOL!!!) and shoot the chit I hope to find some small things for the truck but hey your right Im an owner-operator of a "truck" lol!!! Thanks for the tip now to go find my camera so I can take pics of my next project lol!!!
I work the Axle Surgeons booth, usually on Fridays. My brother works it on Saturdays. Usually he and I don't decide which days we work until that week. The corporate owner sets up the booth on Thursday morning and is there all weekend. Thursdays are usually open just for "corporate V.I.P. folks" till 1:00 or so, then it's open to the public. He likes for us to help him out on Friday and Saturday cause that's when it's the busiest. I'll let you know when it gets close!

Old 12-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Scooter70
Senior User
Being a mover/truck driver I have brain fart. Awesome show and Ilove eating at the Cardinal on the corner. You will have a great time there.Over 1 million square feet of truck stuff.

Quick Reply: Project Sandy - Jaime's Project thread