Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Pinkturtle
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greetings! I'm new the Ex and to campers, even though I've been camping all my life (I actually own a guide service and spend a LOT of time outdoors). My wife and I just inherited a 34' Coachman Freedom Express (6700# dry weight) from my mom after my dad passed and we needed something to pull it. Needless to say, my Honda Ridgeline won't (don't start bashing the Ridgeline -- it's more truck than many people think).

Anyway, I know I'm going to need to upgrade the shocks on the Ex and I'm researching the forum to see what seems to be the most popular upgrade for towing, but I just wanted to see what some of you are using. Can I expect some rear end drop when I tow despite the suspension I have?

Thanks!

When I get a better picture of the camper, I'll post it.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 216 Likes on 145 Posts
Welcome to FTE! I too am new at camping in a TT so you and I can learn about the mods together. Is your Ex a V-10 or diesel?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
We are making our first camping trip in the new Puma next weekend, we are heading to Myrtle Beach, about 150 miles away. The wife has been equipping the coach and I have been working on everything else. The ProPride is installed with new upper bearings.

The Ex has been checked by a Ford Tech and everything looks normal. I did replace the MAP sensor hose and may do an OLF before heading out, time has run past 6 months but the oil only has 4000 miles on it. I am thinking about a ScanGauge but we spent a lot equipping the camper so it is not in the budget this month. The tow to Myrtle is relatively easy and the weather is cool. I do know I will be working on the truck a lot in the off season to make sure it is ready for whatever I dish out to it, we may be thinking about a Colorado trip in the spring. I will get Pics when the rig is hooked up.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkturtle
Greetings! I'm new the Ex and to campers, even though I've been camping all my life (I actually own a guide service and spend a LOT of time outdoors). My wife and I just inherited a 34' Coachman Freedom Express (6700# dry weight) from my mom after my dad passed and we needed something to pull it. Needless to say, my Honda Ridgeline won't (don't start bashing the Ridgeline -- it's more truck than many people think).

Anyway, I know I'm going to need to upgrade the shocks on the Ex and I'm researching the forum to see what seems to be the most popular upgrade for towing, but I just wanted to see what some of you are using. Can I expect some rear end drop when I tow despite the suspension I have?

Thanks!

When I get a better picture of the camper, I'll post it.

Welcome to the FTE site and TT/Excursion club!

The Freedom Express TT do not handle well doing a 180 spin ! I totaled one in July!

Getting on my soap box for a minute.

1) put insurance on it to replace it at CURRENT market value!

2) make sure your Excursion's suspension is in good shape. I learned the hard way. Ride right or Firestone Airbags will be your friend with the Excursion.

3) Spend the $ on a good hitch setup.

4) If you can swing it $ wise do the V/B spring swap that is well documented on the forum.

5) if your Excursion does not have a rear sway bar, buy a Hellwig. Installation is an hour or so. You can pick them up on Amazon for about 170ish.

6) get a good brake controller.

7) ENJOY the Excursion and TT!

Off my soapbox!

Old 10-10-2014, 06:34 AM
Pinkturtle
New User
Originally Posted by Restlesswildman
Welcome to the FTE site and TT/Excursion club!

The Freedom Express TT do not handle well doing a 180 spin ! I totaled one in July!

Getting on my soap box for a minute.

1) put insurance on it to replace it at CURRENT market value!

2) make sure your Excursion's suspension is in good shape. I learned the hard way. Ride right or Firestone Airbags will be your friend with the Excursion.

3) Spend the $ on a good hitch setup.

4) If you can swing it $ wise do the V/B spring swap that is well documented on the forum.

5) if your Excursion does not have a rear sway bar, buy a Hellwig. Installation is an hour or so. You can pick them up on Amazon for about 170ish.

6) get a good brake controller.

7) ENJOY the Excursion and TT!

Off my soapbox!
Sorry about your accident but thank you for the information. We're excited about having both the Ex and the camper, it's just a bunch of new (and pricey) stuff all at once. I'm trying to prioritize and phase the mods needed before we move to Oregon in the Spring so my wife doesn't freak out at the costs.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:57 AM
Pinkturtle
New User
RestlessWM,
I can't send a PM yet (low post count) but would like to ask you a few questions about the set up on this. I don't want to hijack this thread for it unless it's ok since my questions are about the equipment for pulling this particular TT.

Specifically:
1. Brake controller -- any recommendations? Which not to use?
2. Should I use the Hellwig on the truck AND do an anti-sway on the trailer? I'm looking at this one for the trailer:
(Andersen 'No-Sway' Weight Distribution Hitch)

I know I'll have to upgrade the shocks on the BAT (that's what we're calling our Ex -- the Big **** Truck) and I have to see if I have a transmission radiator and such (only had the BAT for 2 weeks so still getting to know it). She's got a few miles on her, too (255k) so I'm likely to do some PM and have a major overhaul done before we go across country (gaskets, rods & lifters, timing, trans work, etc).

Change of topic: INSURANCE
Do you guys use Good Sam or just use your standard State Farm, Allstate, etc?

Thanks again! (and don't mean to hijack-- let's get back to the picture pages)!

Old 10-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
RestlessWM,
I can't send a PM yet (low post count) but would like to ask you a few questions about the set up on this. I don't want to hijack this thread for it unless it's ok since my questions are about the equipment for pulling this particular TT.

Specifically:
2. Should I use the Hellwig on the truck AND do an anti-sway on the trailer? I'm looking at this one for the trailer:

I know I'll have to upgrade the shocks on the BAT (that's what we're calling our Ex -- the Big **** Truck) and I have to see if I have a transmission radiator and such (only had the BAT for 2 weeks so still getting to know it). She's got a few miles on her, too (255k) so I'm likely to do some PM and have a major overhaul done before we go across country (gaskets, rods & lifters, timing, trans work, etc).

I am a TT newbie too but for insurance check out Progressive. We started with adding the TT to my car policy but it did not cover anything but the coach and was twice as much. My agent did a head slap and moved us to a Progressive policy.

I have been towing a car hauler for several years and I use a Prodigy brake controller and it works well.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,109 Likes on 560 Posts
RestlessWM,

Specifically:

Best brake controller IMO is the Tekonsha Prodigy P3.

What engine do you have in the EX? Major overhaul sounds like overkill if you aren't having any issues.

That looks like a relatively new on the market hitch, haven't heard anything about them. Whatever you end up with, you NEED WD and sway control. On a properly set up trailer you'll never miss sway control until you need it, but then you might be in a ditch. Proper setup of the hitch is extremely important!!!

Old 10-10-2014, 11:18 AM
Senior User
RestlessWM,

Specifically:

A couple things. First the prodigy P3 is one of the best brake controllers at a reasonable price. Don't buy local buy online as they are really cheap and install on an Ex takes about five minutes after you read the directions. It trouble shoots the brakes electrical system and has a lot of adjustment.

Yes, a hellwig or F-350 sway bar and then a hitch sway bar combo. As for the Anderson, there was a very lengthy post about it on RV.net that I followed for a long time. In a nut shell better than nothing by not much. Look for a dual cam set up at least. Many members on here including me have stepped to Hensely/pro pride hitch. But they are pricey unless you can find one used. A good dual cam is a minimum to tow with an EX. I know many tow with friction, but I just wanted to be real comfortable towing and I wasn't going to get that in an EX when I was using a 1 ton dually for all of my towing before. Dual cams are not much more expensive than a friction based system.

As for shocks I put the Rancho 9000's on mine I adjust them for towing in the summer and comfort in the winter.

Insurance is a crap shoot. Just call around and get quotes. I personally don't insure my trailer. It sounds weird but its covered by the trucks insurance when towing, and I have an 1984 Avion which is like an Airstream. I can not find an insurance company that is willing to take an agreed upon price and their little sheets show the value of the trailer is $2500.00 when it actually $8,0000-10000 on the market. I thought if I am going to eat that much I might as well eat it all.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:44 AM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Pro-Pride

Old 10-10-2014, 02:35 PM
Pinkturtle
New User
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
Best brake controller IMO is the Tekonsha Prodigy P3.

What engine do you have in the EX? Major overhaul sounds like overkill if you aren't having any issues.
I have the V10. It has 255k and I don't want it breaking down on us between here and Oregon! I'm going to see how things go with it on a few local (southeastern) trips before I go dump money into it, though.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:43 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Pinkturtle- Great looking setup and welcome to FTE.

All of the Excursions and Super Duty's have a transmission cooler. Fortunately for you the V10's is slightly larger than the 7.3l diesel. However eventually you may want to upgrade to the 6.0 cooler. It bolts on but requires some barbed fittings to install as the hose sizes are different. Plenty of write-ups on here regarding this in the tech folders.

What year is your rig? When you get a chance go into the control panel and write about your rig in the signature. It will help us with troubleshooting or explaining how to spend your money.

Have you done basic tune up stuff since you bought it or have any service records?

If not I would look into the spark plugs, PCV valve, serpentine belt and fuel filter. Also with the V10 clean the MAF sensor which is directly behind the air filter housing. Motorcraft products are the recommended around here which can be purchased through, Horizon ford, Tousley or Rock-Auto's website for decent prices.

Old 10-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Restlesswildman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RestlessWM,

Specifically:

I went to Tractor supply and bought the top of the line one that they had. I am rather new to towing with a brake controller. I had to get up and going in a short period of time.

I would definitely get a sway bar of some sort on the back of your EX. It made a huge difference.

I am using the Equalizer 2 antisway hitch. Once again for me it was time and price point..

Shocks I have no recommendations. I am running Monroes at the moment and when I change out the springs, I will get the ranchos.

I would recommend that you have someone look the truck over. Pulling the engine for no reason and going that deep just because is not recommended.

Insurance.....we called around and got quotes.

Old 10-11-2014, 10:43 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 831 Likes on 571 Posts
Welcome Turtle!
As several folks have already said, a good WD hitch with built-in sway control properly setup will make difference between a great trip and white knuckle nightmare or worse. Pro-Pride and Hensley Arrow (what I use) are the top of the line but there plenty of more affordable models too like the Dual Cam and Equalizer.
Tekonsha Prodigy P3 brake controller is an excellent choice and is plug and play with the Ford adapter cable.
Get a rear sway bar, it will make pulling that nice big trailer much more comfortable, without it the trailer will be steering your rear axle. Not fun.
I would get the hitch, set it up properly (we can help), install the sway bar and take it for a short trip. Try to get some highway and back road miles. Then decide if you feel that any suspension mods are in order, if so once again we can help. Tons of choices on suspension upgrades, depending on budget, time, mechanical ability and issues that need to be addressed the community here can get you all sorted out.
Check and make sure the EX has load range E tires on it. Check you trailer tires very closely, all ST trailer tires are junk, all, don't trust them! Even the manufactures are starting to recommend replacing at 3 years old, and they are all rated at 65 MPH max speed, keep that in mind.
Shop around and get some tow mirrors on the EX, either the period correct rounded ones or the bigger and better '08+ more square ones. 1AAuto has both styles for a decent price, lots of guys here have bought from them.
There's lots more to talk about, but start to digest what everyone here has said and ask plenty of questions, mucho knowledge around this place!

I hope your family will enjoy getting out on the road with the EX and TT and exploring this great country as much as our family does!

Old 10-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Pinkturtle
New User
Thanks for the information guys!

BTW, I'm not new to these forum set ups but the place to edit the signature must be hidden somewhere. I just did the free membership -- do I get to edit my sig? Trust me, if I could've found it easily, it's one of the first things I edit when I get on a new forum! (EDIT: Looks like I can't update the sig until I've been a member for 10 days -- 2 more to go).

Tune up: we bought it from the owner of a very respectable repair shop. He bought it for his wife, had his guys at the shop do through the low hanging fruit -- flushed systems, tune up, new Mich LTX MS2 tires, etc. Then took it home to his wife and she said it was too big for her to drive. Thus, he sold it.

The BAT is a 2000 4x4 Limited with the V10. 255k miles.

Quick Reply: The camper thread! Pulling, using, equipment, maintenance!