1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

SD conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 06:13 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW Luke Cline ran an OBS with AB and a chip with a H2E with a 19cm and said it was a great towing set up. I think a H2E with a 17 or 19 cm housing would be fine with stage 1's and proper tuning.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:34 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm thinking modded H2e's, you are probably right on a stock H2e Tim. I don't know that I'd think the 17cm housing would be the hot ticket though, the 19 might be a laggy turd.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:37 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by superduty4x4
I'm thinking modded H2e's, you are probably right on a stock H2e Tim. I don't know that I'd think the 17cm housing would be the hot ticket though, the 19 might be a laggy turd.
That is why I am glad I have both housing for when I finally (if Ever!) get my own turbo mounted and running!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:44 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by tjbeggs
That is why I am glad I have both housing for when I finally (if Ever!) get my own turbo mounted and running!
I thought you already had an H2e or similar under the hood though.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:56 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

I thought you already had an H2e or similar under the hood though.
Nope...Its been sitting on the shelf for about 2 years though.....I even started polishing the housing but there it sits covered in dust...One of these days when I blow my stocker again I will have a weekend marathon to get it on.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:02 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mounting kit will be here by the weekend so hopefully I can lure someone into letting me set it up on a spare engine that is sitting at his house and make sure it all lines up right.

My buddy ran a stock H2E w/ a 17cm housing w/ 160cc/80% single shot stage 2's and it lit up around 2000 RPMs. Definitely a fun turbo and made over 420hp then the intake spyder blew off everytime he tried to dyno it. lol

Old 11-23-2010, 01:57 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't waste your time with the SD setup. Go with an H2e, QSSB, GQSSB, S300, S400 etc style turbo. The only turbos you can run on an SD platform without changing crap out again would be a stocker, a van turbo or the 38R. Depends on what your plans for the motor are, if you're staying mild go for it but if you plan on stage 2's or bigger go with the T4 style turbo mount.
Chase is exactly right. With the SD setup all you can do is bolt on to what is stock on a SD. And since you're already tearing it down, why not do it right the 1st time for no extra teardowns or not much difference in cost.

How do I know this... Well I did the SD conversion on my truck. ONLY because I already had all the parts and it didn't cost me a thing. But if I was buying the parts, I would have gone with a T4 or T4i mounting kit and matching turbo the 1st time. Not only for time but for labor as well. You see, I wanted to run a true SD 4" downpipe in mine. To do so, I had to do some major surgery to the firewall to get it to fit. Was it worth it... NO. And even on a SD conversion in an OBS, you still have to run your 3" OBS downpipe with a SD flange welded onto it.

Someone said hybrids... if that's his plan he'll be at the end of the 38r's string. Yes it will run and make good power, but will do far better with more air. Example from 2 guys on the forum here that I know personally:
Pwrstroke99- 250cc/100% hybrids and 38r has a best of 491hp. Did 463 his first time on the dyno
SooperDoodie has 238cc/100% (I'm not 100% sure on the nozzle size) hybrids and a GT4202. He did 563 on the dyno the same day Pwrstroke99 did 463. I believe he was at 48x when he had the 38r before switching to the 42.
Correct again Chase. There's a member over on PSN that is running 238's with 80% nozzles with a 38r. He's done a remarkable 520hp and it's HIGHLY debatable whether they're true 238's or not. The 38r is completely at the end of it's MAP with this size of hybrids. Drive pressures are thru the roof. The turbo is MAXED. Greg (sooperdoodie) is a prime example of that.

Originally Posted by Talyn
Complete H2E kit (modded) is 3k. Correct, a complete bolton kit with no fab work. With fab work it's MUCH less!

You can drop the 38r on the SD pedestal, and it almost performs as well as the H2E. WRONG - it does not "perform" almost as well as the H2E. The H2E has a much better drive pressure ratio across it's entire MAP as compared to the 38r which allows it to be more EFFICIENT and perform better. If TowingCowboy is doing just that...towing...then efficiency is going to be so much better than a SD drop-in turbo. The H2E will have run cooler EGT's as well as support more hp with the same hybrid injectors as compared to the 38r.

A lot of our big power guys around here are running 38r's, not H2E's.

The QSSB is a modded s300
It's a good turbo choice, but expensive. WRONG - it's based on the S300 series turbos BUT not a modded s300. It's a completely custom turbo made by Pius of Bell Turbos. A "modded s300" is the Sledgehammer made by Swamps.

And rag on the 38r all you want, and me.

Jim, Joey, and Clay all run 38r.
Originally Posted by TheTowingCowboy
Chase from one brother to another, your an idiot. most any mounting kit for a T4 costs 1700. For that muck I bet you I can have a complete SD setup for my truck. And the SD has way more options. Plus if I want to drop big cash on it turbonetics has a Torquemaster turbo for 3000. But wait, ATS (Thank good for these guys) has there Auora series turbos the 3000. 4000, and 5000 series. Which are made specifically for SD's. And if I remember right I asked about turbos for SD's not abut turbo kits and H2E's and S300 and 400's. Also for the fuel 238 Hybrids from are great Mr. Rosewood is what I plan. Also its nice to see you on here Jesse (Jesse97PSD)
Let me pick this post apart 1 by 1. First Chase is probably one of the most knowledgable guys on this board for having a stock truck. Unlike some who just read something and believe it to be true then go spouting off about it mis-informing others.

Next... Turbonetics NO LONGER makes a "drop-in" turbo for the 7.3 powerstroke. By drop-in, I mean you bolt in onto your STOCK pedestal like the 38r.

3rd... Have you really done your research on ATS' Aurora turbo line that they market specifically for the 99-03 SD powerstrokes???? Since you "thank good for them" I would have imagined you have. BUT, if you take a quick look on their website, you'll see that each of those turbos use a DIFFERENT mounting kit than stock. Just like the h2e or any other turbo setup out there!! So that shoots your theory of using one of theirs with your SD converion out the window. You'll be converting again if you did that.

Originally Posted by TheTowingCowboy
Ebay and Rock auto, cheap cheap cheap. Engine is going to be parted together a little at a time. I want the best bang for the buck. Yeah I can to a T4 setup and have options of a ton of turbos, but in all reality. I dont need to have a ton of options this is a built right once project. Also a pedestal for a SD usually runs 190. Plus with a SD conversion and buying a ATS Auora kit, I will get MORE then I do with a H2E kit, and flow jsut as much if not more.

Also Chase isn't your truck bone stock? Cause if so then what your saying is hear say, not your own experience, therefore is void.
If you want the best bang for your buck, they do your homework. ALL OF IT. Not just copying off your buddy. If you built it RIGHT once, then you will get your best bang for your buck by staying the hell away from the 38r with the injectors you will be running.

The SD conversion and ATS Aurora kit comments were taken care of above. If you have trouble navigating thru their website, here's the link: 2023224 - ATS Diesel

And again Chase not having any of his own experience, WOW. You must not realize that he had a SD before he bought is OBS and it was modded. He's a person that does his homework and all of it before he jumps onto a bandwagon. If there is anyone that doesn't really have any of his own experience with turbo and the big picture of powerstrokes, that's your beloved *****. Sure he reads alot of info and maybe does part of his homework, but what he doesn't comprehend is that not everything you read is true or accurate.

Originally Posted by Talyn
I saw that Tim. I like it. =)
I'll call you this weekend, haven't talked with you in a while. =)

Clay says the rest of the kit for the 38r is 600 dollars.
That includes bellowed up-pipes.

WRONG again... His kit is closer to $800 if you add plenum boots. Plus it doesn't include the drivers side exhaust manifold that the OBS requires to convert. Here's the link since you're so good at doing your research:

Riffraff Diesel: Early/Late Conversion Kit

Don't forget that most of us are not as fortunate as you to have leet skills to be able to make our own down pipes and such. =)
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
In all honesty I would never bother with a 38R on anything, but thats just me. Not even on an SD if I had on. T4 turbos are much nicer setups and you have a MUCH broader turbo market once you switch to one.

Now, where do I start. Why was everyone gettin' their panties in a bunch with Chase?! Last I checked Jesse, you haven't been around these trucks a whole lot, much less when it comes to performance so all that junk you typed about ATS and everything, good luck. You will find that everyone with a 7.3 much over 500hp do NOT have the SD turbo setup, they have an aftermarket T4 kit. 238s are capable of over 500hp, but the 38R is tapped out at that point, ATS is junk, and well, so is the TN BB(turbonetics). Not trying to be an A$$ although it may come across that way, just sayin..

If you want your truck to really perform well with a decent set of hybrids and also have a HUGE selection of CHEAP turbos, get a T4 kit. If you want to be stuck with the crap thats available for the SD, run the SD setup and spend $1500 on a 38R plus buying the rest of the parts. My murff kit cost me $550... S400's run in the $1000 range.
DING DING DING we have a winner. Very well said Travis. And surprisingly, it's the same thing that Chase was saying.

Towingcowboy and *****... Do your research CORRECTLY and you wouldn't have your minds filled with such misguided infomation. And I hate to break it to you TC, but your buddy ***** is the last person I or alot of others would go to for performance (or anything for that matter) advice on the powerstroke. Oh yeah, and maybe your reason for losing girlfriends is because you spend too much time with ***** in the sheep's pen!!

Nope...Its been sitting on the shelf for about 2 years though.....I even started polishing the housing but there it sits covered in dust...One of these days when I blow my stocker again I will have a weekend marathon to get it on.
Tim, I must say, you and I were definitely cut from a different mold. If I get a new part, I don't care if I get home at 10pm the night it gets there, I gotta install right away. No way in hell I'd let something like that sit on the self for 2 years!! You have AMAZING will power!

Old 11-23-2010, 02:22 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Holy novel Batman... LOL!
Not that it matters but... looking at the ATS website, they don't offer the A5000 for an SD. The A4000 is smaller than a modded H2e. And... the mount is specific to the turbos offered by ATS. But what do I know, I drive a stock truck

Old 11-23-2010, 06:04 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by strokersace
Tim, I must say, you and I were definitely cut from a different mold. If I get a new part, I don't care if I get home at 10pm the night it gets there, I gotta install right away. No way in hell I'd let something like that sit on the self for 2 years!! You have AMAZING will power!
Not so much will power as much as it was bought for down the road. At this point I don't have a need, nor fuel nor a trans that will hold it all if I do the turbo.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:29 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Not so much will power as much as it was bought for down the road. At this point I don't have a need, nor fuel nor a trans that will hold it all if I do the turbo.
Well get with it man!

Old 11-24-2010, 01:55 PM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy novel Batman... LOL!
Not that it matters but... looking at the ATS website, they don't offer the A5000 for an SD. The A4000 is smaller than a modded H2e. And... the mount is specific to the turbos offered by ATS. But what do I know, I drive a stock truck
Well hell I read thru this entire thread and there was so much MIS-INFORMATION being posted that it wasn't even funny. And the ones posting it were getting pissy with people that were actually posting CORRECT info.

Yeah, Chase, you are correct in all aspects of the ATS turbos. Even if you are a guy that only has a STOCK truck, you can still comprehend what you read and make LOGICAL decisions based on that. Some people's kids...

I understand that. Still pretty different though, cause me, I can't buy ahead at all. If I'm buying something like a turbo, I need it now! Sooner or later you'll get it on there and be wondering why you didn't do that sooner!

Old 11-24-2010, 03:30 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess me and Tim are pretty much on the same boat then. I have a set of built heads, H11 studs, Murff T4 kit, cryo'd ZF5, and an ATI balancer all sitting here awaiting install. Probably will be next year before I get the rest of the parts together to make it worth while to pull the engine for all this. Unlike Tim I have a trans and clutch to hold power, but I don't have the fuel I want or the engine to hold what I want... YET!!!!