Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Emergency help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Pansen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emergency help needed!

I'm scrambling to learn as much about Ford diesels as I can, because we are stuck AGAIN. We need help in DXing this problem with our truck.

Backstory: We have a 2001 ford diesel dually 7.3L we bought back in May of this year pulling a 5th wheel rv. We took a trip into Canada, from California, with our kids. One day, while at an RV park in Alberta, we filled up on diesel, and as we were driving back to the rv park, and I smelled diesel really bad. As we pulled into the park, we were spilling fuel all over the road, and the truck was smoking. The next day, I had it towed to a dealership (no one could figure it out? We're n00bs), who then washed off the diesel fuel with water (is this ok to do in the engine compartment?) and told us it was a loose fuel filter. We felt stupid.

The next day we started the truck, and began driving up the road, but I forgot something, so we drove back to the rv. We turned off the truck, but when we went to restart it, it wouldn't start. It turned over, but the motor would not start. The batteries showed full, there are no leaks we could see, no loose wires, the fuel reset switch was in the down position, but the oil was completely empty. We had just filled it 7 days before, and we saw no leaking.

Back to the dealership the truck went. They told us it was either the oil pressure regulator/sensor, and if that didn't work, then they would try the high pressure oil pump. They said the regulator worked, and to come pick up the truck. It seemed fine when I got it, although sounded just slightly different (no one else would have noticed).

We took our rv to Yellowstone, and drove all over Yellowstone for a couple of days, and the truck seemed fine. Then this morning, we started the truck to hook-up the rv, and turned off the engine. We got everything done, kids in the truck, and the truck wouldn't start. It sounded just like it had in Alberta! The park manager came out and sprayed starter fluid in the air intake and the truck started up. He said that it was 28* the night before and diesels don't like to start (which I knew). We got on the road, relieved the problem had been solved, but a little miffed that we'd spent $1,200 at the ford dealership getting it fixed before. But, as we came off an offramp in Idaho and had almost come to a complete stop, the truck suddenly died. We could not restart it, and sounded just like it had that morning.

A farmer helped us off the road using a chain and his truck, and he tried starter fluid in it also, and it did sputter to life briefly, and died again. He says it's like the truck isn't getting fuel. He towed the truck to the local dealership for us, and we are in his driveway! Stuck, in Idaho! Then a local RV park told us the story of another couple, they've been stuck in their RV park for a couple of weeks. They have a Ford diesel truck a bit newer than ours, and it wouldn't start. The dealership where our truck is at now has spent considerable time and has had "master mechanics" come out to look at it, but no one can figure out what's wrong with it. The couple is having to get a new truck. We cannot afford a new truck.

We are really freaked out now, and my husband has to be back at work a week from Monday, and he absolutely cannot be absent from work. Can anyone help or give us some ideas? TIA.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Pansen
Junior User
Diesels are like a totally new thing to me. I've always worked on gas vehicles, and I meant to buy a manual before we left, but the last few months have been a whirlwind.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Pansen
Junior User
I've been doing some reading, and I think it might have to do with the glo plugs, but I don't know how that would work when they are for starting only (right?).

Old 10-03-2010, 08:51 PM
00Dave
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One of the 1st things that comes to mind would be the wire harness under the valve covers. If they are loose, you would have intermitent problems. Then, the cps would come to mind. I guess I would suggest starting with making sure it is getting good fuel pressure, might be a fuel pump. From what I have read, it is not real likely to be your high pressure oil pump. They don't fail often. Then ICP, or IPR possibly? Others will chime in quickly. I don't think you will need a new truck.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM
dzldenny
Senior User

You have come to the right place. The folks here will get you going.

Try pulling the fuel filter and check to see if there is fuel fetting there. There sure was when it all ran out, but that can change. It may just be a clogged fuel pick up. How many miles on the truck?

Others here will be more help.

I wish you luck.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:53 PM
beanhead6D5
Posting Guru
Sounds like it might be a CPS (cam position sensor).Just my my quick guess!

I'll give this a bump so it stay at the top.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:58 PM
robles4242
Senior User
I would start CHEAP and change the CPS.
Riffraff Diesel can get you the good one (BLACK in color) as to they are hard to find anymore. You could just get a local auto parts one just to test and see if it runs any better.

My truck would turn over and turn over but wouldnt get fuel and wouldnt start. New CPS and BOOM starts instant.

Oh and just so you know, try not to use starting fluid unless its a DIRE emergency and in that case only use a LITTLE. Ether is NOT good for your diesel engine.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome to FTE. First off, you need to understand that these trucks have a HEUI system, which means they use engine oil to fire the fuel injectors. You mentioned earlier that there was no oil on the dipstick. These engines will die and not restart if there is not enough oil to fire the injectors, so I'd say your first step is to find out if you're low on oil, and the second step is to figure out where the oil is going.

Grab a flash light and look on top of the engine down under the fuel filter bowl and turbo for any signs of oil. It's not really that uncommon to have an o-ring start to leak oil (under pressure it can leak a lot of oil).

If your husband has a week before he has to be back at work, and as long as the two of you have a basic understanding of tools and can follow directions, we can probably get this figured out quicker than the dealer can.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Pansen
Junior User
I was worried no one would respond.

There is one problem: The truck is 2 miles away at the dealership, and we have no vehicle. I want to be able to understand where the dealership is coming from, and make (haha) sure that any fix they do is not temporary and cause us to break down again before getting home.

The truck has a sticker that says do not use starter fluids on it, but we were desperate. I worry we messed up the glow plug.

What is a CPS? I'm a N00b and don't get some of the terminology, yet.

We took a flashlight and looked all over for leaks, and saw nothing. We did check the oil first thing when it lost power this time, and it was full.

I do think it might be fuel starvation or water got in there somehow? But was the fuel filter really loose? The mechanic said he couldn't find anything but the fuel filter being a little loose, but maybe he bumped something, and caused it to work. or?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Pansen
Junior User
Oh, cam position sensor.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Pansen
Junior User
Sorry, I keep missing things. There is 105k on the truck.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:22 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
OK. So the engine oil is full and the truck suddenly died? Did it cough and sputter first, or just shut off like someone turned the key off? Do all the dash lights function normally? WTS light come on and go off after a few seconds? WIF light and all the others act normal?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:25 PM
robles4242
Senior User
You also have an extra 3 quarts of oil that you cannot check with a dip stick. It is the 3 quarts that power your injectors and HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump)

Old 10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where in Idaho are you?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Waynenap
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Underneath the powerstroke cover on the top at the front of the engine is the HPOP. You need to remove this cover and check the reservoir oil level. There is a allen head plug on the right side facing it. It should be 3/4 to 1" from the top. It is crucial to starting and running your engine.

Quick Reply: Emergency help needed!