6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

2011 F350 6.2 Engine Problems

Old 06-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kmonty2
Sounds like they did some extensive testing on your truck to deem it it normal. 1 whole mile will tell you a lot you know.
It was about 8/10ths exactly and 7 of that was with me driving.. the other 1 was from where I parked to the service 'waiting' area, to their second garage across the street and back. It never went in the main shop. I was outside the whole time and the way the parking lot meets the road I would have seen it at least once.

I don't think they actually drove it, the last time they did the seat was moved lol

Old 06-21-2011, 04:59 PM
Beach_Bob
Senior User
I'm getting the "normal sound" story as well. They haven't been able to find another one on their lot that makes the sounds; the service advisor and technician all say they've never heard it before... but Ford wants it to be "normal".

Old 06-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Strokt350d
Junior User
With the overhead style motors, there is ticking on start up before the oil gets to the top end. With my truck, this is VERY noticeable, and you can almost here is quite down like one cylinders worth of mechanicals at a time. I have no problems with that. My wife 2006 Escape has done it from day one. No issue. It's a known fact.

At an idle, you can hear it pretty good, but I've learned to ignore that. It sounds horrible, but I'm not going back to Ford. My problem is at 1500 rpm's whether your driving or at idle, it seems to come on like a switch. I know this thing has variable cam timing, so I'm wondering if 1500 is the magic number where it makes enough oil pressure to actuate the variable cam timing solenoids..... Who knows. Its a theory I have I guess. Scary that it does that.

Truck seems to have plenty of power. I've done a couple of oil changes so far, and the oil is practically clear. Nothing on the magnet. If you take a look at the actual Ford TSB for the bad rocker shafts, it shows a picture of a galled rocker. I would guess some of that material would make it to the magnet, and/or into the filter. Guys might want to start disecting oil filters. Not a bad idea really.

I'm leaving it at that. I drive 10k miles per year. I figure if its a problem, it will show up within 3 years. Drivetrain components usually let fly pretty quick. I spent countless days and nights constantly agonizing my 08 with the 6.4. I do NOT plan on doing that with this truck.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:17 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
No way in hell mine's normal. It seems like it gets worse the warmer it is, it's starting to sound like a diesel. If I wanted the diesel sound I'd have spent another $8000.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
Finally made a video of it today, of the noise that is made by the purge canister and my ticking noise in park, and in motion, up to 3,000rpm. After which the exhaust drones out the tick. I put my phone under the dash and held it, and you can really hear it from there. I read in here about it happening below about 1500-2000rpm, so I guess I can use that in my case.

I'm also going to ask them to let me drive the two 6.2 trucks that they claim to have driven, and for their build dates because I think that their full of s***.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:28 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Menghi08LT
Finally made a video of it today, of the noise that is made by the purge canister and my ticking noise in park, and in motion, up to 3,000rpm. After which the exhaust drones out the tick. I put my phone under the dash and held it, and you can really hear it from there. I read in here about it happening below about 1500-2000rpm, so I guess I can use that in my case.

I'm also going to ask them to let me drive the two 6.2 trucks that they claim to have driven, and for their build dates because I think that their full of s***.
I hate to steer anyone away from FTE but if you sign up over at thedieselstop.com, in the 2011 superduty forums there's a Ford Customer Service rep by the name of Cory who has helped out a number of folks. Might be worth it to sign up (if you aren't already over there) and PM him.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:55 AM
Menghi08LT
Tuned
I will have to give that a shot if what I have now doesn't work... I'm going to try to bring my truck to a second dealer in the area that's about 25 minutes away, but I've heard all good things about them. That and I'm related to the parts manager.

Probably bad quality (fresh upload) but here's the noise in question. Sitting in park warmed up idle-3000RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haBvwjx1zEA

Old 06-24-2011, 12:32 PM
Byram
Posting Guru

If that whine is normal then mine has been broken for the last year - never heard that around mine...

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM
GIANTOAK555
Freshman User
Mine went in today (I also posted in 6.2 forum) no noises but engine shut down and low oil message on info screen.... I will keep u posted

Old 10-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Originally Posted by Strokt350d
With the overhead style motors, there is ticking on start up before the oil gets to the top end. With my truck, this is VERY noticeable, and you can almost here is quite down like one cylinders worth of mechanicals at a time. I have no problems with that. My wife 2006 Escape has done it from day one. No issue. It's a known fact.

At an idle, you can hear it pretty good, but I've learned to ignore that. It sounds horrible, but I'm not going back to Ford. My problem is at 1500 rpm's whether your driving or at idle, it seems to come on like a switch. I know this thing has variable cam timing, so I'm wondering if 1500 is the magic number where it makes enough oil pressure to actuate the variable cam timing solenoids..... Who knows. Its a theory I have I guess. Scary that it does that.

Truck seems to have plenty of power. I've done a couple of oil changes so far, and the oil is practically clear. Nothing on the magnet. If you take a look at the actual Ford TSB for the bad rocker shafts, it shows a picture of a galled rocker. I would guess some of that material would make it to the magnet, and/or into the filter. Guys might want to start disecting oil filters. Not a bad idea really.

I'm leaving it at that. I drive 10k miles per year. I figure if its a problem, it will show up within 3 years. Drivetrain components usually let fly pretty quick. I spent countless days and nights constantly agonizing my 08 with the 6.4. I do NOT plan on doing that with this truck.
Yep. Use a slightly heavier grade of oil than the one Fomoco reccommends, or put in a good quality additive in the oil. Or, better yet, switch to a full synthetic that sticks to metal parts. You can't go wrong with Mobil 1 or the Castrol equivalent.

Or, get some Brad Penn motor oil.

Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 PM
socapots
Senior User
Originally Posted by Menghi08LT
I will have to give that a shot if what I have now doesn't work... I'm going to try to bring my truck to a second dealer in the area that's about 25 minutes away, but I've heard all good things about them. That and I'm related to the parts manager.

Probably bad quality (fresh upload) but here's the noise in question. Sitting in park warmed up idle-3000RPM.

Ford 6.2 ticking sound - YouTube
That does sound off.. Mine has always had a wine when cold. But cant say the tick was ever that loud.
I do hear a slight tick on occasion on Start up. But hard to say exactly from where.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:31 PM
monstermanF350
New User
Originally Posted by Voice23
The dealer replaced the entire motor. Still have the ticking noise. The cam shaft was warped and I had metal shavings in the first oil change.

Runs like a top now, but still has the ticking. I was told it was the fuel injector. Some are noisy, some are not.

By far, I am not a mechanic. So I will just drive it till it dies again. Still under warranty.
what did you have to do to get them to replace the motor,I cant even get mine to admit it makes noise,11000mi now did it since new off the lot first week,they say its normal engine noise,only thing I associate this sound with is lack of oil or bad lifter,rocker etc,just before it lets loose and fails,already have synthetic in it,I change the oil 4 times already.they did the first and third did not say anything about metal,I asked for the filter they said no.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM
monstermanF350
New User
did the duals void your warrantee, how much was the change over and did it help mileage any,what about emissions,etc.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM
monstermanF350
New User
Originally Posted by Byram
Yea... I agree....... I love Ford's but for the most part I've been treated right...Sorry I'm a redneck - I'd have hit the guy who said that crap about a free oil change (maybe for life), after month & a half or so...
I have kept up with your issue - & I'd say that you weren't treated right for spending $40-60K & having issues right out of the box...
has anyone had revving issues on low or high speed dwnshifts,passing gear issues that go dwn to 2nd or even first gear from 5th or 6th and rev to or past red line with no codes ever,for anything,down hill descent issues,tow haul mode problems,and NEVER ANY CODES,how convenient for ford,ford phylosify is if they cant prove it we dont have to even think about fixin it.my steering wheel is about 45deg out,never been off road never hit anything,ford says all factory settings are fine,yet wheel is 1/4 off.this is a 350SD,pd arround 60k for this thing,anybody want to buy a ford.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 AM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Any updates on this thread with engines that have failed, or they just keep going ticking, or ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 F350 6.2 Engine Problems