Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Diag Help Needed for Danny(Mongo75)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whiskey Creek for the cold beer...it's on the East side of 395 at the North end of town across from the Best Western Motel.

Last edited by SteveBricks; 08-19-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:53 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Make them drain the oil first. If it all looks good, change the filter and top it back off. How often do you check your SCA level or are you running ELC?

Kind of strange how you describe it dying as you disengaged the cruise while slowing down. When I first read this I was thinking towing up hill, heavy load, lots of go pedal, and head gasket. This is the opposite of that. Slowing down, torque converter unlocks and truck idles down then the oil pressure drops down to 10 psi or so and suddenly you've got coolant dumping into the oil. Sounds like it died pretty quick, so let's hope the HEUI saved the block.

No oil pressure while cranking now has me wondering about the front cover. Sounds like you dumped a lot of coolant real quick, which like Brandon and the others have said, doesn't sound too much like an oil cooler. Cavitation behind the water pump could do it, or the scouring or wearing down behind the LPOP would be the 2 front cover issues that come to mind. Hopefully it's not a front cover.

Any chance you can sneak in there in the morning and drain the oil to see what we're dealing with? Just walk in with a bucket and 3/4" wrench and pull the plug.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve, I saw Whiskey Creek, it's right down the street, but damn I got a hankerin' for chimichanga LOL.

Chris, they didn't drain it before I left, but I did drain some from the fumoto valve I have on the oil pan, and surprisingly, and extreme little amount of water came out, like 1/4 of a shot glass if that.

And I'll say I'm the biggest offender of checking SCA's- I never have, so maybe it's coming back to haunt me for being a lazy SOB. UUUGHHH we'll see tomorrow I guess. Thanks again guys.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Martika 7.3
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From my experience

Danny, from my experience it is more than likely the oil cooler, like all these guys say. it is the cheapest route. however it can be a blown head gasket, seen it alot @ the dealer. i hope it is the oil cooler so u can get on your way quickly. you are so far away! i have a vcm but i cant help u. if u take it to ford send me an email, i will give you an employee # and you will get a discount and not get screwed around. sorry! :-(

Old 08-19-2010, 09:07 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Martika 7.3
Danny, from my experience it is more than likely the oil cooler, like all these guys say. it is the cheapest route. however it can be a blown head gasket, seen it alot @ the dealer. i hope it is the oil cooler so u can get on your way quickly. you are so far away! i have a vcm but i cant help u. if u take it to ford send me an email, i will give you an employee # and you will get a discount and not get screwed around. sorry! :-(
Wow that is awesome of you to offer that to Danny, Reps sent to you.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Martika 7.3
Senior User
thanks jim. its the best i can do to get him going and get a discount. he is trying to make money transporting and i respect that. i transport my self, but thank god never had a breakdown! and i dont leave home without the vcm and laptop. lol. i wish i was closer but i am on the east coast. thanks jim for the reps!

Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You are more than welcome. I am sure that he will appreciate that alot.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Bob Taulbee
Duct Tape Tech.
Danny,
A small coolant leak ( into crankcase ) over time will cause some condensation in the ccv system, and also cause the discolored oil. You may not have a masive leak, If you can have the service tech drain the egine oil and leave drain plug out ( or open ), then fill the cooling system and put 16# of pressure on the cooling system to see if any coolant comes out the oil drain. That will tell you if there is a leak, and how big the leak is. I don't think the issue of the engine shutting off is related to the coolant leak or the water in the oil. If you are having oil pressure issues it would have had to be almost a total and instant failure to shut down as discribed. If it was an issue with the coolant in the oil I would think it would have given some sign of power loss or engine miss before it shut down. Just trying to give you my take on this.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Thats a good and simple test idea.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:01 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I am praying for a front cover but I am afraid it sounds like a cracked block.

Danny, I know Lee Vining because its where my mom grew up. I was born in Bishop. Believe it or not there is a hospital there

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
Danny, just a thought, but did the wife or anyone drive the truck while you were deployed? I know you've only been back a short time, but have you changed the oil since youve been home? How long of a period did the truck sit while you were gone? I wonder if the moisture in the oil is from condensation from the truck warming up during the heat of the day in the sun and then cooling off overnight. If your CCV is an open dump and the truck sat in a humid area then a good deal of condenstion could have formed under the valve covers. Coolant could have been a slow leak out of the radiator, or a hose as it sat, and green antifreeze will evaporate in a sunny area, and not leave a tell tale sign.

HPOP diagnosis is way to early. Try a new IPR first before giving into a new HPOP.

The cavitation/ scour issue I was talking about earler is a real issue. If SCA's are not monitored then small pin holes can appear on the plate behind the waterpump. Behind that plate are oil passages, that coolant could be pushed into.

I hope for your sake that I am way off base with the scour diagnosis and they find something super simple and you're back on the road quickly.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by duck fan
I am praying for a front cover but I am afraid it sounds like a cracked block.
All of that coolant went somewhere. It is not in the pan so I am thinking head gasket. I hope it is not a cracked block or head.

Edit: Danny is your truck an auto or stick? Watch what the dealer does with that chip in there. Don't need to fry that or the PCM. Best of luck buddy.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:31 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear this Danny...my truck is parked for the very same reason only it didnt die on me....coolant is a gal low...oil is a gal over...under the VC is milky..no leaks on the ground so its leaking inside some place..pulling the motor out and a new one going in this winter..damn thing couldnt wait a couple more months..a set of rod's was just sent to WOP to be re freshend and cyroed..cam was being sent to be moded.. was going down to Ma. this weekend to pick up a 96 motor with 94k on it for a $1,000 but just got a PM for a easy 700HP motor a guy got stuck with for a really good price..calling him this weekend to see what he wants for it..wish you the best of luck...

Old 08-20-2010, 10:26 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Danny I hate to say it but this is sounding like a head and or head gasket to me also... It is the most likely way for you to lose water into the oil. Our trucks hold like 5 gallons of water... thats alot of water. They should really drain the oil and mesure how much there is (just out of curiosity)... My guess is your about a gallon over full because of the amount of water in there...

I hope Im wrong good luck

Old 08-20-2010, 12:22 PM
itsjustdan26
Elder User
Have them do a dye test on it too.

Quick Reply: Diag Help Needed for Danny(Mongo75)