Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Water In Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:39 PM
jk_hooper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water In Oil

Here is how the story plays. In May i lost and injector. Right after that i started getting oil in my water. Before my knowledge i changed head gaskets. Got worse (my fault). My motor oil turned snow white and burned up several injectors. I pulled the motor and went to work. I put new head gaskets, head studs, magnafluxed the heads, new oil cooler, all new seals and gaskets, new LPOP new (used) injectors, and all the works. I checked the cover behnd the water pump. I did not see any problems with it. I put the motor back in and fired it up this afternoon. Started great with only a small fuel leak on one connector. But after 1 mile drive and hour of idling my oil is turning white.

My question is when that cover leaks, is it a microscopic hole or is it something big? Any other ideas other than block that could cause this?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Could be a cracked block too.... That sucks. Good luck!

Old 11-11-2009, 05:08 AM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
You replaced an injector then it started leaking coolant into the oil ?

I am thinking injector cup of the original suspect injector.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:37 AM
jk_hooper
Senior User
I replaced those to. All eight. I pulled them to get the heads magnafluxed.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:43 AM
jk_hooper
Senior User
I guess i am going to start pricing a new and used motors. Bummer.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You could have still had some water and or old oil somewhere.
Id change oil and try it again before I bought a new engine.
I know I had the same sort o9f thing happen on a old 79 gas motor.
I thought I had it clean when I put it back together , but a day of driving and my oil looked like milk again.
Im not sure where it came from but after a few oil changes it cleared up pretty well.
2 years later it still showed a milky colour around the oil fill cap somewhat.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
snakedoc
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think that would be the case, there's around 2 quarts of oil that's hard to get out, this could be just mixing with the new oil.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
You can make yourself a tester for the coolant system. You can pressure test it with no oil in the motor. Leave the drain out and watch for coolant and listen for leaks.

Did you do anything to the block during your rebuild? I think you can have the block magnafluxed too... there is some way to check for cracks.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:46 AM
jk_hooper
Senior User
I didnt do anything to the block. I did pull and drain the HPOP resevor and the heads. I will try tchanging the oil again today or tommorrow. I did drain the bottom of the oil pan last night. Got a little straight water then soso looking oil. Put in two fresh gallons in on top but still pretty milky looking. I agree i dont think its the block because the truck runs to good to be bad. Jut not sure what else and all the $60 oil changes are adding up.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The truck could run fine with a crack between the oil & coolant passages, so that's not a real good indicator. I think you should do the coolant pressure test. All you need is another coolant reservoir cap. I'd drill & tap the old one for an air nipple (1/4" NPT tap, 7/16ths drill), and put 10-15 psi of air pressure into the reservoir. If coolant starts pouring out of the oil pan, you found your problem. If you're 100% sure the heads, gaskets, and cooler are good, then it's GOT to be the block.

Old 11-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 797 Likes on 608 Posts
Originally Posted by Layson
You can make yourself a tester for the coolant system. You can pressure test it with no oil in the motor. Leave the drain out and watch for coolant and listen for leaks.

Did you do anything to the block during your rebuild? I think you can have the block magnafluxed too... there is some way to check for cracks.
Originally Posted by Izzy351
The truck could run fine with a crack between the oil & coolant passages, so that's not a real good indicator. I think you should do the coolant pressure test. All you need is another coolant reservoir cap. I'd drill & tap the old one for an air nipple (1/4" NPT tap, 7/16ths drill), and put 10-15 psi of air pressure into the reservoir. If coolant starts pouring out of the oil pan, you found your problem. If you're 100% sure the heads, gaskets, and cooler are good, then it's GOT to be the block.

^^^^^^ What they said.^^^^^^ Do some diagnostic before proceeding, you'll plug that hole in your wallet.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:14 PM
jk_hooper
Senior User
I pulled the oil plug. Oil on the bottom didnt look as bad as the dipstick. It was a carmel color but the dipstick is still white. I used the set up below to put pressure on the water system. It moved to about 18lbs and no leaks. So with my fingures crossed i am hoping it is just old oil in the motor. I did find a rear main leaking though before I pulled the drain. I checked thee top of the block and it is dry. Just the bottom rear.It was the only seal in the motor i didnt replace through this whole thing. Does anyone know if i have to pull the engine to change rear main or just the tranny?

Old 11-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
When you pressure test it, let it sit overnight if possible. Place a container underneath it, sometimes it takes some time.

You can also take a small section of 3/4" hose or something like that to stick up to your ear and place it against the block, you can hear where the air/coolant leaks through... It can be hard to hear sometimes but you never know.

Hopefully it is just some residue in your block, but who knows. Just don't drive it with that sludge in there, your main bearings don't like coolant.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2009, 09:21 PM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You certainly do not have a leak between pressurized oil and coolant, otherwise the oil would be showing up in the coolant.

Does the "water" you drained out look like coolant (colored) or was it clear? If it was clear, and you were not running straight water in your cooling system, it is possible that the water entered from somewhere other than the cooling system. Water from a wash job or contaminated oil added are possibilities.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:04 PM
jk_hooper
Senior User
The water was clear but i had clear wateer in it. I want to get it running and put some radiator cleaner through the water before antifreeze. I know it still has oil in it. I have spliced into the small hose on the side of the coolant tank. I have had around 13psi on the cooling most of the day now and have not seen anything coming out the pan. I am going to let it sit over night to see hwat happens. Thanks for the ideas guys. Its helping me feel better about keeping the motor.

What about adding a cup of diesel to the oil when i fill it up tommo to help break up the sludge that is in there? would you guys reccomend anything different? I plan on running it back and forth to work( about 10miles one way) for 2 or 3 days and changing my oil again.