1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Coolant leaking from oil pan after new head gaskets!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Hotrodhoarder
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coolant leaking from oil pan after new head gaskets!

Hey, I have a 1976 F100 wiith a 1978 4bbl 400cu motor, c6 tran, and 9" Rear. I got it on trade knowing it needed a new radiator. The truck would run, but I cranked once for 10 seconds when I traded for it. After putting in a new radiator, thermostat, etc., I cranked it up. It cranked fine and during idle I saw that I needed new head gaskets. All the coolant was leaking from the oil pan and where head meets block right at gaskets. I changed the head gasket (and of course the valley pan intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets for my long tube headers, valve cover gaskets, and so on). After getting it all back together, it is not firing up, and coolant is still coming out from oil pan right above the passenger motor mount. The repair went smooth. It isn't my first head gasket, but I am new to Fords. It is turning over, but gas and air were popping out from top of carb, I figured the dist. was 180 degrees off. I would appreciate any ideas or tricks you guys may have to figure out whats wrong. I hope it isn't a cracked block. The previous owner said he rebuilt the motor not to long before I got it. He just painted the truck with a single-stage blue from summit racing, and wasn't happy with it. That is why he said he wanted to get rid of it. I traded him a running 1989 Toyota Celica GT Liftback 5 speed. I got a good trade, as long as I don't have a crack. Could this coolant leaking be leftover from the broken head gaskets letting water in making it's way out? Water Pump? Timing cover? Any info and anyone really familiar with this 400 motor, I will really appreciate anything. Thank you guys. I am ready to get this torque on the road. She is a sexy truck. I will post some pictures of truck and engine soon. Thanks-Jeremy

Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you flush all of the old oil out? And if its leaking at the oil pan, did you change that gasket too?
I doubt anyone is going to be able to confirm a cracked block without pictures

Old 06-06-2014, 02:26 PM
fmc400
MSEE
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Are you sure it's not a freeze plug or one of the threaded pipe plugs in the coolant jacket?

Old 06-06-2014, 04:04 PM
Hotrodhoarder
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
Did you flush all of the old oil out? And if its leaking at the oil pan, did you change that gasket too?
I doubt anyone is going to be able to confirm a cracked block without pictures
I drained the old oil out yes. I've heard that pouring in two quarts of rubbing alcohol will soak up any remaining water....anyone tried that? I've bought the
oil pan gaskets but haven't installed yet. Was really curious add to why there was still water in there.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:07 PM
Hotrodhoarder
Freshman User
Originally Posted by fmc400
Are you sure it's not a freeze plug or one of the threaded pipe plugs in the coolant jacket?
I can pinpoint exactly where from. Out of oil pan above passenger side motor mount. I was thinking that could be an issue. Can that cause the coolant to go straight to pan? I will be dropping the pan tomorrow. Do I really need to take off motor mounts on this 400? It looks like I could slide it out.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:09 PM
rockittsled
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hotrodhoarder
I can pinpoint exactly where from. Out of oil pan above passenger side motor mount.
The motor mount is above the oil pan. The coolant is probably coming from either the head gasket above the motor mount or at the freeze plug behind the mount.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:39 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well coolant cant leak from a oil pan gasket unless theres several gallons of it in there so your leak must be elsewhere and it sounds to me you like a cracked or warped head. If you can get a radiator ckeck pump tester just pressurize the system and look for the leak, also check so see if there is coolant in the oil pad. Good luck

Old 06-07-2014, 05:55 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rockittsled
The motor mount is above the oil pan. The coolant is probably coming from either the head gasket above the motor mount or at the freeze plug behind the mount.
^ What he said
Originally Posted by OldMetal
Well coolant cant leak from a oil pan gasket unless theres several gallons of it in there so your leak must be elsewhere and it sounds to me you like a cracked or warped head. If you can get a radiator ckeck pump tester just pressurize the system and look for the leak, also check so see if there is coolant in the oil pad. Good luck
^ Him too

Old 06-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Westcoast Highboy
Tuned
Received 218 Likes on 114 Posts
As was already said, get a cooling system pressure tester and see where the coolant is actually leaking from. Otherwise you could be chasing your tail all day long...

Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 AM
turbohunter
Postmaster
X3 above. Especially pressure test.
Terminology check, the oil pan is on the bottom of the engine, below what you are describing.
Are you talking about valve covers?

Old 06-12-2014, 01:04 PM
Hotrodhoarder
Freshman User
Originally Posted by turbohunter
X3 above. Especially pressure test.
Terminology check, the oil pan is on the bottom of the engine, below what you are describing
Are you talking about valve covers?
No, I'm talking about the oil pan. Even while the engine is attempting to start is was leaking from oil pan. There wasn't any run off from somewhere else. I felt and looked everywhere behind, freeze plugs, and it is dripping from the pan. I'm new to Ford, not cars. I appreciate everu ones advice. It was leaking from the same place from pan before I changed head gaskets. It fixed all leaks except from the pan. I'm dropping it anyway to change the gaskets, and hopefully I will find the answer down there. Thanks guys!-Jeremy

Old 06-12-2014, 01:48 PM
OldMetal
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have coolant in your oil pan you have a busted head, you'll need to pull the heads back off and have them checked for cracks

Old 06-12-2014, 01:58 PM
Hotrodhoarder
Freshman User
Originally Posted by OldMetal
If you have coolant in your oil pan you have a busted head, you'll need to pull the heads back off and have them checked for cracks
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. Its had me down all day. Thanks

Old 06-12-2014, 10:16 PM
tbear853
Lead Driver
Received 1,288 Likes on 1,089 Posts
Advance has a coolant system pressure tester tool set in their "loaner tool" program.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:29 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Could be a manifold deal also.
Pressure test and you'll find it.
Don't get down, I just built a bitchin new engine that runs great but after a few months I found oil in the coolant.
So I tore a brand new engine out and am tearing it down.
Stuff happens, we just put our head down and roll the stone.

Quick Reply: Coolant leaking from oil pan after new head gaskets!