Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Head Gasket Oil Leak?

Old 09-11-2014, 06:26 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
MauleOne is starting off with a positive reputation.
Head Gasket Oil Leak?

This is a story of engine problems in my boat. After working on my port engine I decided to change the injectors in the stb engine. It is easy and after all the port engine was now running much better due to new (rebuilt) injectors, injector pump and glow plugs.

The problems was that one of the injectors would not come out. The other 7 injectors came out easily.
Finally I put a long breaker bar on the socket and forced the injector to turn and come out.

Unfortunately only half of the injector came out. The bottom half of the injector stayed in the cyl head. Woe is me

Now I have to remove the cylinder head to remove the rest of the injector.

So I did. Removed the cylinder head, removed the precombustion chamber and punched out the remaining parts of the injector (#4 if you want to know). I found that the injector was frozen in the cylinder head by leakage around the lower gasket. Cleaned the injector hole, reinstalled the precombustion chanber and reinstalled the cylinder head.

Having some experience with engines I made sure and installed the new head gasket with the correct side up. It said so on the gasket.
The engine started fine and runs great.

Except now it is pressurizing the crank case and blowing the dip stick out of the dip stick tube and blowing lots of oil out the rear main seal!

Help! What did I do wrong?

The only thing I can think of it the head gasket being wrong. I torqued it by the book using a calibrated torque wrench.

Now I am going to have to remove the cylinder head to check the gasket.

Keep in mind that this being a boat that all work has to be done on my knees due to space restrictions.

I should have just left it alone.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:00 AM
Chevy_Eater
Postmaster
Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.Chevy_Eater has a great reputation on FTE.
You should have come here first, there's a well known trick for getting the rest of that injector out without pulling the head.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:21 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
Head Gasket Plus Injector

Like how? I was afraid the rest of the injector (small parts) would fall down into the combustion chanber

Old 09-12-2014, 10:43 PM
tecgod13
Postmaster
tecgod13 has a good reputation on FTE.tecgod13 has a good reputation on FTE.
Basically, you grind the threads off the top of the injector, then screw it back onto the bottom part thats stuck. Then you can rig up something (I can't quite remember what others have done) to pull or pry the whole injector up.

The small parts are all held in place by the lower injector body. About the only thing that can get stuck in there is the copper washer at the bottom of the injector.

First thing that comes to my mind is the CDR valve and however that might be plumbed in a boat engine. Any chance you had to move that stuff around and may have blocked it off?

Old 09-13-2014, 12:55 AM
totalloser
Senior User
totalloser is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have seen significant issues with bindup preventing proper torque form thread friction but only on aluminum block/head combo- using grey anti-seize on both threads and heads solved that problem.

I *never* use clicker type torque wrenches on head bolts personally. Beam types make it very clear if there is a problem since friction bind makes the indicator oscillate. Bind-up with a clicker just yields a premature "click".

Another issue is head bolt stretch (some are stretch type, thus not re-useable) which can give rise to head bolts bottoming out in carbon, or even in the bottom of the head bolt hole.

Having said all that, I would have guessed that if it was compression sneaking out, it would more likely wind up in the cooling system. I've heard of the CDR causing those symptoms like Tecgod said.

Just a thought, but what about running it and cracking injectors to see if the pressure issue diminishes? Compression pressure could theoretically still get out with a dead cylinder, but not combustion pressure which is much much higher. If unaffected, it might tend to eliminate a leaky head gasket as the issue.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:02 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
Thanks
I am going to dieassemble the engine and take the head back off, being that this problem did not start until I removed and reinstalled the head it must be connected.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:03 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
PS: I am not having oil in the coolant or cooland in the oil or any other signs that the cooland is being pressurized