Browse all: Steering and Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

Aim/DJM lowering kit thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 11:40 AM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
Yep Crazed, I remember that. That's the situation I was thinking about. Seems like it was one of us Bruddas and not a newbe. I think it was a different thread though. One on our Bump board rather than a Slick board. I never go on the Slick board. I have nothing against 'em. I just prefer the Bumps and own one.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:20 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by williamwilliam
I also said they must have changed something because I had/have zero problems with my AIM setup. Again, I bought mine back in 2004 so maybe they did change something, although I dont know why they did.
There was acouple of people like yourself that had older AIM kits and also said they had zero problems. Seems to be the more recent years customers that the complaints are coming from. From being in the casting/machining industry I've seen many tolerances and molds get thrown out of whack. In most cases a mold is only good for so long then it gets out of tolerance so it is replaced with a new one. Not sure what kind of fixture or jig they use to make them. But one of the workers could have knocked the fixture around or something. Some places make a big production run of parts then push the table in the corner for months on end until they need it again. In that time things could get stacked on top of it or hit with a tow motor or other things. making it out of whack. I've seen this happen first hand.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:23 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by JEFFFAFA
Yep Crazed, I remember that. That's the situation I was thinking about. Seems like it was one of us Bruddas and not a newbe. I think it was a different thread though. One on our Bump board rather than a Slick board. I never go on the Slick board. I have nothing against 'em. I just prefer the Bumps and own one.
You could be right Jeff. My memory ain't the greatest so maybe it was another thread in the bump forum. I'm the opposite I prefer a slick over a bump they are my favorite. Bumps are my second. Just so happens I found my 71 crew and fell in love with it before my slick found me

Old 01-16-2015, 05:28 PM
tsoza86
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 71 f250 and ordering ibeams in the next month or two. Aim has the lowering beams for the f250 but i was looking amybody know anything bout k2 industries? Also lowering the rear any suggestions?

Old 01-16-2015, 05:42 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tsoza86
I have a 71 f250 and ordering ibeams in the next month or two. Aim has the lowering beams for the f250 but i was looking amybody know anything bout k2 industries? Also lowering the rear any suggestions?
Look at K2's pics and Chassis Tech's (AIM) pics and they are the same... they're just resellers. Caveat emptor!!

For the rear, flip the spring hangers or do an axle flip (a spring-under conversion).

Old 01-16-2015, 06:03 PM
tsoza86
Junior User
Ok thanks looks like its aim its a hour and half drive for me so i can go there to pick up the parts

Old 01-16-2015, 06:07 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tsoza86
Ok thanks looks like its AIM. Its an hour and half drive for me so i can go there to pick up the parts
.. and maybe the same hour and a half drive to return the parts?

Just realize that sometimes what appears to be a good deal isn't a good deal.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:20 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
If you're right there to pick them up then you're also there at the counter to inspect them BEFORE you pay for 'em. If they still have the quality control issues mentioned here STOP the purchase and RUN. Less headaches later.

Old 01-16-2015, 07:43 PM
crazed87bronco
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
.. and maybe the same hour and a half drive to return the parts?

Just realize that sometimes what appears to be a good deal isn't a good deal.
That's funny right there. I am very curious though if they have fixed the problem with them. Guess we have our guinea pig to test them out. Tsoza86 please post pics when you get them and let us know how the fitment is.

Old 01-16-2015, 08:10 PM
tsoza86
Junior User
Ill def post pics wont be for another month or two

Old 01-17-2015, 05:44 PM
brutus67
Junior User
thinking about doing the djm drop beams and rear shackle kit question is the rear shackle kit a bolt on or do I have drill more holes thanks in advance for any help

Old 01-17-2015, 05:46 PM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brutus67
thinking about doing the djm drop beams and rear shackle kit question is the rear shackle kit a bolt on or do I have drill more holes thanks in advance for any help
Rear shackle kit is a bolt on. You might want to buy their pinion shim kit if it doesn't come with the kit.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:21 PM
brutus67
Junior User
thanks uni moe I guess it would be a good idea to check the pinion angle before I start the project. do you think I can use one of the angle gauges from home depot

Old 01-18-2015, 12:25 AM
Uni Moe
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brutus67
thanks uni moe I guess it would be a good idea to check the pinion angle before I start the project. do you think I can use one of the angle gauges from home depot
Is that the big dial type that uses gravity? That's all I have. My buddy has a cool digital one that's the size of a small measuring tape. I think cabinet makers use them to set table saw blades on angle.
DJM make their own pinion shims that come with a new bolt with a little bushing to go on the head end that will hold the shim in place. I've heard some people complain that shims will not stay in place very well.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:39 AM
brutus67
Junior User
yes they are the plastic ones with the big gauge shoot I walk past them every day and still cant remember how much they are lol I work at home depot if they work ok I guess its worth whatever they cost thanks again for your advice I will get the pinion shims when I order the I beams I hope I can get my truck to look like William William his truck looks good

Quick Reply: Aim/DJM lowering kit thread