1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Pyro pics for Tim....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM
barebackjake
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i still got my probe post turbo lol, want to see the average of both cylinder banks. with my current setup i cant get it over 1300degrees, even with it in the oh crap program and 20k of hay behind me.

when i put the van turbo on my truck i was gonna put the probe right behind the turbo where i could set it so it would get both banks but had a brain fart and had the turbo in the truck before i did it so it got stuffed back in the dp

Old 02-28-2008, 07:45 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by barebackjake
i still got my probe post turbo lol, want to see the average of both cylinder banks. with my current setup i cant get it over 1300degrees, even with it in the oh crap program and 20k of hay behind me.

when i put the van turbo on my truck i was gonna put the probe right behind the turbo where i could set it so it would get both banks but had a brain fart and had the turbo in the truck before i did it so it got stuffed back in the dp
1300* post turbo is a lot! if you had the probe pre turbo then you would be easily seeing at or over 1600*. put your probe in the drivers side manifold (drivers side is the hotter bank) and then look at your temps.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:20 AM
powerstroked162
Postmaster
Originally Posted by RubberDuck
I haven't put the new truck on the dyno yet. We are going to an event April 12th and 13th put on by the Central Texas Cummins Turbo diesel club. But if I don't have my miss ironed out by then, I won't dyno. And thanks for the offer, but I actually have 2 spare motors.
Well for what its worth good luck at the event Cody

Cowboy Steve

Old 02-28-2008, 10:46 AM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barebackjake

Let me know when you melt your pistons down... I might be interested in the parts... I'll look forward to hearing from you in a few days!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Michael_
Junior User
You'll also notice that the post-turbo pyro cools down slower from high temperatures. I've been running pre- and post-turbo pyros for a year or so, and see similar results.

The old-school concerns of thermocouples (pyro probes) breaking off were from the days of bare-tip thermocouples (like lab instrument thermocouples). All the major gauge brands use a stainless or Inconel housing over the welded thermocouple junction, which makes this failure virtually impossible. In other words, there is no good reason for installing post-turbo, except possibly for getting a better reading on turbo cool-down (which is better reflected by post-turbo measurement).

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Old 02-29-2008, 03:14 PM
skittlejr
Elder User
Originally Posted by strokin'_tatsch
1300* post turbo is a lot! if you had the probe pre turbo then you would be easily seeing at or over 1600*. put your probe in the drivers side manifold (drivers side is the hotter bank) and then look at your temps.

why is the drivers side hotter

Old 02-29-2008, 05:14 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
i dont know why they said the drivers side is hotter, but the drivers side is much easier to get to, all you do is stick the drill in place and drill, nothing is in the way.

1300 post turbo on a heavy load is more like 1700 pre. i am amazed you dont have pistons in your lap!

16 gauges!!! i want pictures of that!!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by c00nhunterjoe
i dont know why they said the drivers side is hotter, but the drivers side is much easier to get to, all you do is stick the drill in place and drill, nothing is in the way.

1300 post turbo on a heavy load is more like 1700 pre. i am amazed you dont have pistons in your lap!

16 gauges!!! i want pictures of that!!
I think is this one with 12 plus stock? or maybe he has added more:

Old 02-29-2008, 07:38 PM
c00nhunterjoe
Post Fiend
that is sweet, where do you get all those pods? or are they custom built? i have been thinking about making a pod to put in the little hump of the dash right above the radio

Old 02-29-2008, 07:47 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

His truck is a superduty. I know the pillar and above mirror are options, two of the 4 around the steering column also are built that way. not sure about the other two.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 PM
powerstrokeddiesel
Posting Guru
i tried to rep you on this one to... but you know the story...

Old 03-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Michael_
Junior User
Joe (CSIPSD) uses a 4-gauge A-pillar pod, a 4-gauge over-the-mirror pod, a 2-gauge cluster insert (fits around the factory gauges on an SD) which he drilled for 2 more gauges, and a 3-gauge under-dash pod. I think he's also got the single-gauge steering column pod (for a total of 16). With an OBS, you can use the 4-gauge over-the-mirror pod, but it doesn't fit perfectly without some dremel work. Mine is unmodified and looks pretty good, but others have taken the dremel to it and made it fit perfectly.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Old 03-01-2008, 12:34 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
Wow! Thats a nice setup. I would't mind putting that ceiling mount on my OBS. However, I have my CB up there already.

I still want to add oil/fuel pressure yet. I have a oil temp still in the box. I just can't decide where to put them inside the cocpit.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:48 PM
Michael_
Junior User
I'm planning to modify a generic dash-top 3-gauge mount, to match the contour of the dash over the steering wheel, and place 3 gauges there. It's kind of "dead space" (just blocks the view of my hood) and very visible. I have 3 gauges there now, held in place by velcro and rubber bands!

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Old 03-01-2008, 01:00 PM
FARM69
Postmaster
That was my initial plan. I'm still trying to figure out how to contour the pod to the dash though.

Quick Reply: Pyro pics for Tim....