Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4WD Hub question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:08 PM
NeXtras
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mayb when i cool down ill ask more lol, im pretty heated, dudes are stupid at York Ford

Old 12-19-2007, 05:11 PM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had issues with them? Thats too bad.

Your job will be much easier, since you have the auto hubs with 5 screws. Look at the pictures posted on (I think) the second page by (I think) frankenford, thats exactly what you need.

Welcome to the manual hub club.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:17 PM
NeXtras
More Turbo
Cool, so no additional parts needed correct? Id actually be taking more parts out than putting in if im understanding correctly

Old 12-19-2007, 05:19 PM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
All that the conversion kit contains is a different style of locking not to hold the wheel on (which is already on your truck) the later model auto hubs have a different locking nut setup. They only make one model of auto hubs (for the old style lock nut) so if you have the new style lock nut, you have to convert to the old style (which you have) to use the manual hubs.

Clear as mud?

Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Easy swap.....it should just be easy as pie....pull the one out put the new one in bam you're done.Good Luck...and the pics that Josh mentioned are very good ones....print em off and take em out with you if you gotta...take your time with the first one and the second will be a cinch.

JR

Old 12-19-2007, 06:25 PM
89frankenford
Elder User
Thumbs up

its a good thing i took the pictures then. i knew i would need them for something. the ONLY thing you will need to alter is you need to take out the half moon shaped washer thats on the inside part of the axle shaft. its right before the hub nut that has 4 slots in it that are evenly spaced. just take a screwdriver and pop this halfmoon washer out and the manuals will slide right on. when you have the main part of the hub on, put the snap ring back on the axle shaft and then put the outside ring on. then put your cap on and screw it down. the pictures i took should just about explain everything, i have the whole proceedure for it there on page 2. good luck i also have the warn standard hubs and they have worked great so far for me(offroading, snow driving,towing, and truck pushing).

driving with the hubs locked does not make turning harder. you will feel the front end to be a little stiffer but thats about it. you lose no turning radius or turning ability with it. you can also drive with them locked and not have it in 4wd. i have mine locked most of the time and haven't had a problem yet.being that we are getting a good size snow storm once or twice a week now in new hampshire i tend to keep them locked.

Last edited by 89frankenford; 12-19-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:17 PM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
I keep mine locked around town (side roads are a low priority for plows, so we wade through it all for a few days before plows hit them) and unlock them if I head out onto the highway.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:28 AM
NeXtras
More Turbo
As if my day couldnt have gotten worse, my house was broken into, Laptop and Digital camera were stolen.. ugg why, why me!! And my Auto hub sounds like absolute ****tttt.. i just hope this is a hub issue and not something else, i cant see it being anything else..

Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 AM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
Dang, sorry to hear that. Need us to round up a posse?

Well, I hope things start getting better for you.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:00 AM
codyingersoll123
Senior User
yup its simple as pie. its actually easier to swap out you hubs to manual then replace stock. less parts go into it then come out. im sure youll be very happy with them. let us know what you think!

Old 12-20-2007, 09:03 AM
nobodyspecial
Postmaster
I dont think he is very concerned about the hubs right now... Did you read his last post? I think hubs would be on the backburner considering he was just the victim of a home invasion.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Sorry to hear you're having such a hard time with this Nextras... I wish I could come and do it for you, maybe take a load of your shoulders amongst all this crap. Did you guys have home insurance? A lot of times they cover break-ins and will reimburse you for stolen goods. I know it won't be the same but perhaps you could get SOMETHING back.

Reply back here whenever you wanna get those hubs in, we're all ready to give you whatever help you need brother. I did the swap only a couple months after getting my truck and it couldn't have been easier. Don't stress about it, seriously. Good luck brother.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:31 PM
89frankenford
Elder User
if you plan on keeping the auto hubs in for the time being i would take out the front driveshaft so you don't wreck anything when the are popping in and out. just 4 simple nuts and remove the driveshaft

Old 12-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Travis from the sounds of it, he's grinding the hub lockout on his spindle... If he keeps driving it like that he could be grinding the teeth off the spindle which would render his 4wd useless until he replaces it...

Old 12-20-2007, 02:10 PM
codyingersoll123
Senior User
cant you just take the whole hub out for the time being. if i remember correctly my axle nut was behind the hubs and you should be able to run without them. obviously i wouldnt do this for a prolonged time but if my memory serves me its possible. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG....just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: 4WD Hub question