fresh water tank ?????

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 08:53 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
fresh water tank ?????

What is the best why to make the fresh water to taste fresh, I have to use RV anti freeze to winterize it and it leaves a bad taste, Last year i tried some water treatment from Meijers, but no luck so we only drank bottle water. Any Ideal's

Old 04-30-2007, 09:44 PM
IDMooseMan
Postmaster
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Oops, I thought this might be a double-post.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 AM
tkd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a product that you can get from West Marine that is a water tank cleaner. I think it is also known as a water tank "sweetner". You put the recommended amount in a 1/2 full tank, agitate it by driving, then drain & fill it a couple of times. I have used this and it does help--how much, I'm not entirely sure.

In the spirit of "home rememdies" cruising sailboaters swear by a few tablespoons of bleach in the tank before the end of the season (we are talking 1 or 2 tablespoons to 25-40 gallons here--no higher).

Take a look on some of the cruising sailboat forums---lots of good advice there on that type of subject.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 AM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by IDMooseMan
Oops, I thought this might be a double-post.
Yep.... Sorry, my hand held mouse is wearing out, time for a new one.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:29 AM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
I use 2 5 ounce glasses of bleach to about 25 gallons of water,flush it thru all faucets,then run baking soda into the tank and flush it one more time and it is good to go.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM
Toyman
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
When you winterize, how do you do that? If you are putting antifreeze in through the fresh holding tank you will be chasing it for a long time. You have the option to attach a hose to the inlet end of your water pump and suck straight from the antifreeze bottle. Then in the spring all you have to do is flush the lines through the pump (last) and the city water connection (first). The pressure from the city water connection is greater than your pump and flushes the lines better. Run water for about 20 to 30 minutes. I then put a little bleach (about a cup) in the fresh holding tank, fill it all the way up and turn the pump on and run all the faucets for a few minutes. Then you can drain the bleach water out and flush with clean water. You should be good to go after that.

Toyman

Old 05-01-2007, 08:01 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Toyman
When you winterize, how do you do that? If you are putting antifreeze in through the fresh holding tank you will be chasing it for a long time. You have the option to attach a hose to the inlet end of your water pump and suck straight from the antifreeze bottle. Then in the spring all you have to do is flush the lines through the pump (last) and the city water connection (first). The pressure from the city water connection is greater than your pump and flushes the lines better. Run water for about 20 to 30 minutes. I then put a little bleach (about a cup) in the fresh holding tank, fill it all the way up and turn the pump on and run all the faucets for a few minutes. Then you can drain the bleach water out and flush with clean water. You should be good to go after that.

Toyman
Great advice, That deserves some points.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:09 PM
250turbo
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as above,but flush with baking soda like diesel man said

Old 05-01-2007, 08:50 PM
country2
Senior User
I have a filter with the drinking faucet that has a valve that can be turned off. I remove it during the winter and after I flush the system as stated above I reinstall the filter for much better tasting water.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 PM
twayneb
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the fall I drain the fresh water tank, water heater and blow out the lines after disconnecting the pump. Fill the traps with antifreeze and leave it. In the spring I fill and drain the freshwater tank 3 times with city water (loaded with chlorine) and it is good to go. Have always done this after I found putting anti-freeze in tank and lines made the taste worse. Plastic taste is minimal but I use a Brita filter for drinking water. If you flush with bleach it tends to leach the tank and lines causing a stronger plastic taste. But, if you are filling your tank with non-chlorinated water you have to do something to kill the bacteria.