Winterizing Question ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 07:31 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Winterizing Question ?

For years i have added about 6 gallons of RV antifreeze to the fresh water tank and pumped it through all the water faucets with out any freezing problems, But this way left a bad taste in the drinking water.

This year I'm doing it different, Drained the holding tank, water filter, water heater, Installed a air attachment to the city water fill, then blew the lines out.

My question is ; At this point, should i pump RV antifreeze at the pump inlet( nothing in the fresh water tank ) through the water line, or should i be safe with out it. I'm trying NOT to use RV antifreeze because the taste in leaves and the count less times i have to hear about it. Thanks for any advice.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM
mike93
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where you live I'd pump it thru the pump inlet and entire water lines and keep all valves open when you are done doing that. If there is a trace of plain water sitting anywhere it will freeze and do some damage.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:27 PM
firesoutmatt
Posting Guru
I just got done doing mine and that is exactly how I did mine.
Blow the water out and then put water heater on by pass and suck RV anti-freeze into the system and bleed all faucets untill it is pink fluid. Remember to do outside faucet if you have one.This also leaves anti-freeze in the water traps and waste tanks .

This will not leave the taste as doing it by the holding tank way. The owner before me did the fresh water tank and it takes for ever to get that pink stuff out of there even flushing it a bunch of times.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:45 PM
jwshobe
Senior User
Ditto the above comments. Just flush the lines in the spring before you head out and you'll never know it was there.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:20 AM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
I'm in agreement with above posts. I never had any antifreeze taste doing it as stated. I can see how you could have that problem by dumping 6 gals in the water tank. Doing the way stated shouldn't take much more than a gal. But remember you need to shut your valve so it doesn't get into the hot water tank.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
I use a gallon. I bypass my water heater before I start. I then disconnect the line from my fresh tank to the pump, put another fitting on with a piece of hose and turn the pump on to suck the antifreeze from the jug. Then open all taps one by one and flush the toilet until antifreeze is flowing. Any left over antifreeze goes down drains and the toilet.

In the spring I will fill up the water tank and flush all the lines.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:05 AM
conger
Posting Guru
I just finished winterizing mine a couple of weeks ago. You don't want antifreeze in your fresh water tank. Sometimes it will mold and give the bad taste. Blowing out the lines with compressed air may cause some problems as well. Air in the lines may cavitate the pump and may not get all the water. You should introduce the anti freeze into the system at the pump, not the tank. But before you do that you should drain the water heater and by pass it. There should be a valve. I've got an adapter hose to hook onto my pump so the pump draws the anti freeze right from the jug. You should be able to get one from you RV dealer for a couple of bucks. Start at the farthest tap from the pump and run it until pink. Finish at the tap closest to the pump. Don't forget the toilet. Finish off by pouring a little down each drain for the traps. Turn your pump off and reconnect the fresh water line from the tank. That's it. Should take about 2 gal. In the spring just fill the fresh water tank and pump it until all the pink is gone. Doing it this way you shouldn't have any problems or anti freeze taste.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:59 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
I pump my anti-freeze in from the outside fresh water inlet instead of the pump. Drain the water heater, put on bypass. I use a little air compresser and blow out all the water I can from the fresh water inlet on the out side. Then I put the hand pump in the anti-freeze jug and hand pump it throught the furtherest hot water tap (kitchen) first, then cold. From there to each next furthest down to the outside shower head, both hot and cold faucets. Don't forget the jonny. By then, you usually have enough of that pink stuff in the traps so it don't freeze any water left in 'em.

At spring, I just hook up a fresh water hose to the outside inlet and run until all the taps run clear then open the bypass to fill the hot water tank. NEVER a bad taste in the water.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:22 PM
Hensley Ron
Junior User
I drain the hot water tank, cut it off, and pump 1 gallon through the lines. There's no need to add anti-freeze to the fresh water tank. Just drain it. My neighbor blows his out. I, however, have been in the RV biz too long and know what kind of el-cheapo fixtures are in those things. If you do that, keep it to 20psi.

Be sure to check your roof. Re-seal it at the corners. Ice build up plays hell with rubber roofs. I've tried dropping the tongue to let the water run off easier, but it seems to make little difference.

I also drop a box of D-con in there for the winter visitors. If you leave paper towells, Kleenex, etc. in there over the winter you might find what looks like the aftermath of a ticker-tape parade come spring.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:58 PM
maevans
Posting Guru

Thanks to all that replied.

I will be adding some RV antifreeze to the water line just to be sure they don't freeze. Cheep insurance.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:47 PM
Diesel Man 03
Senior User
I also agree with NOT using the air pressure method but just using the RV antifreeze, have done it for many years without any problems.

Old 11-21-2007, 02:39 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Great topic, guys! Link added to Tips and Tricks sticky.