1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Power Window Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 10:22 PM
HUHJake
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Window Problems

I have a 98 Ranger XLT and the power windows have been messing up for a while now. They do roll up and down but they are kind of jittery like choppy when going up and down and I also noticed some streaks on the windows like they are scraping on something. I also noticed this problem gets alot worse after it's been raining or the windows are wet. If anybody knows what this could be some insite would be appreciated. Jake

Old 10-23-2006, 08:19 AM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE jake. Im glad you chose the best site on the net for Ford-Trucks! See you around the boards!!

are the windows still in the tracks? mabey you should take the doors apart and look inside

Matt

Old 10-23-2006, 09:00 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Had somewhat the same problem, but perhaps not as bad as you've described, anyway I lowered the windows & applied "Prestone" silicone spray, into the window tracks, been quiet as a mouse & free running ever since, so now I do it once a year in the fall, before the winter snows set in.

Worked good on the 94 Taurus passengers side window too, which had always been a little slow to raise, now it's at normal speed & smooooooth!!!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 01:14 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
if pawpaws suggestion doesn't work the ford power window motors have 3 round nylon pieces in them that are the "drive" for them, this is a protection deal like a shear pin so if A kid gets there arm or other in the window they are supposed to shear those off and not cut off the childs arm (supposedly anyway) well over time they wear out and start skipping and eventually just quit rolling the window up first ususally. They can be replaced and it's not that difficult to do, not sure if the dealer sells them or not I got a couple sets off evilbay and did the ones on the bronco and worked perfect since.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:28 PM
HUHJake
New User
alright I went to Autozone and got some silicon spray (I'm not sure if this is what pawpaw was talking about to do) and sprayed it down inside the door. This didn't really accomplish anything but get my window greasy. Where exactly in the door is the window tracks? I'm just trying to solve this problem without taking the door panels off because I have tweeters custom installed by the mirrors on each door and I already broke one taking a door panel off before. If all else fails though I guess I'll have to. Rock

Old 10-23-2006, 06:37 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Yup, silicone spray, with a straw, is what I used.

The window tracks I referred to, are the two "U" shaped channels, that guide the glass vertically in the window frame.

Roll the glass down & spray the exposed channel that the edges of te glass touch, such that some runs down the edges of the lowered glass.

If the spray is going to solve the problem, you'll notice relief in a up/down cycle or two of the window.

Also your mention of the windows being streaked up, from rubbing on something, prompts me to suggest checking the outside rubber squee-gee trim piece, the rubber piece that bears on & runs against the window face, to make sure something sticky like a sugar drink, pine sap or the like hasn't gummed things up there.

So check that area & clean the window glass inside & out & see how it goes.

If that doesn't improve things, I suppose it's time to pull the door panel & see what gives, like monsterbaby said.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:50 AM
HUHJake
New User
Alright, the streaks were from some buildup of tree sap on the weatherstripping. I guess I should wash my truck more I used a straw and sprayed more silicone in the window but still the same. It rolls up ALOT slower than it rolls down and actually makes a loud squeek and almost halfway up. I guess I have no choice but to take the panels off and take a look and see what it looks like. Thanks for the help so far!

Old 10-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Joelski
Elder User
Did you spray the silicone in the CHANNEL that the EDGES of the glass rides in? You keep saying you sprayed it down inside the door; that's not where you need to put it.

Old 10-24-2006, 06:57 PM
HUHJake
New User
haha, I'm retarted, I was spraying inside the door on the bottom corners thinking that was what everyone was talking about. I sprayed it up and down the window edges this time though but still didn't help alot so I broke down and took the door apart and pretty much soaked everything in silicone. It seemed like it didn't work at first but now it's doing ALOT better. No loud squeeks or choppy role downs. still rolls up kind of slow though Thank you guys for the help!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
Smile motorcraft power window motor kit

You can buy the kit (3 piece plastic 'Cogs") at Autozone to repair the motor,assuming it still runs. Many times they are stripped. If so, the motor will run but not transfer power to the regulator.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:27 PM
HUHJake
New User
So the cogs are on the motor? How do I get the motor out? Do I have to take out my 5x7 door speaker to get to it?

Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
you need a Window Lift Motor Gear Kit... transfers power from the worm drive of the window motor to the drive gear on the outside of the motor housing. This gear is what drives the window regulator up and down. You will not be able to see it until you remove the motor from the window regulator. Once you remove the motor, remove the 3 screws holding on the round cover . Inside, you will most likely find some grease and ground up plastic cogs in multiple pieces. Gear Kit costs about 18 bucks at autozone, usually made by Siemens. also, check the regulator while you are in there. If the cable is messed up, you are probably better off just purchasing a new reulator/motor assembly.

Old 10-25-2006, 10:14 AM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
You need to take the entire inside panel off of the door to access the regulator and motor.