Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Failing or weak power window in 93 Explorer

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 06:53 PM
wickware
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked for cleanness of my window’s tracks and all appeared clean.

1. Greased all tracks (that guide the window), window arms tracks and
gears that moves the window.
2. The window still slows at a mid-way point going up or down.
3. Will pulling the motor to check window’s free movements help eliminate or
find the problem?
Thanks, Joe

Old 08-27-2004, 03:00 PM
LV Dan
Senior User
Here is a helpful link that discusses replacing the gearing in a window:

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/web/pages/window.html

Old 08-27-2004, 06:04 PM
wickware
Senior User
Thanks LV Dan, This is good info!

Thanks LV Dan, This is good info! Since this is the passenger side and I have no daily passengers. I'll wait for a complete failure before I return. Then I'll pull the motor and etc.to see the needs. Joe

Old 08-27-2004, 11:51 PM
TexasDeeva
New User
OMG...THANK YOU! I have been having this same problem. Both of the front windows on my 93 Explorer are out...now I can put my dad to work! Yippie!!

Old 08-28-2004, 09:41 AM
wickware
Senior User

Texas Deeva, Please share some of your:

1. Initial symptoms
2. Findings when "You & Your Father" get into the job
3. Results from your repairs.

Thanks, Joe

Old 08-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Calica
New User
Question

My problem started out the same way in my 1993 Explorer. Now it has gotten to the point where all four windows have a problem. The back one's will roll down, but will not roll back up unless you guide them up with your hands. It makes a clicking sound when you try to roll them up automatically. I've had several people tell me it's the motor and some say it's the switch. It is the most aggravating thing of not being able to roll down the windows when needed. At this point I think I need to replace the switch before attempting to change the motor on it, as it seems very difficult.

Please let me know if you all find out an actual cause on why or what is making it do that. Thanks

Old 08-28-2004, 05:49 PM
wickware
Senior User

Calica, It sounds that your problem is more advanced than mine. I am not hearing any clicking (which I would guess relates with bad gears) and all windows work but passenger's side slows and continues (for now). One back window looks jerky as it moves but not slowing. Somewhere on this site I read info toward separating electrical and mechanical problems. If you search a few of the listed pages (about mid ways "I think") you should see this info. I'll let you know if I see it again.

For now I am resting until a window actually stops. Is your problem on a 93 Explorer with gears. I was told that some models have cables involved.

Good Luck, Joe

Old 08-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Calica
New User
Hey Joe. I sure hope you don't have to go through what I'm having to go through and have all windows crap out. I actually waited quite some time before they got to this point. I do have a 1993 Explorer and it is with gears. I'm hoping that it will only be a switch problem. And for some reason it just dosen't make sence to me that when you try to lower any of the windows and it makes the clicking sound that it would be all four gears.......not all of them at the same time. I don't know, I'm definately starting with replacing the switch as that would be cheapest way to start I think.

I appreciate your input, and I will definately let you know what turns out of this.

Thanks

Old 08-29-2004, 02:09 PM
wickware
Senior User

Calica, Did you see the info on purchasing gears vs motors with gears? let me know if I need to try and find where I saved the info.

Did you see the info on troubleshooting the switch listed before?

Good Luck, Joe

LV Dan's info:
Is it just slow, or does it stop and won't start again for a little bit?

My first start would be to take off the door panel and see if it is really dirty and can be solved with a good cleaning and lubing (where it can be).

Using a current probe, you could check the current flow to the motor. If it is high, the problem is in the power window regualtor itself. If it is low and/or the voltage is low, it might be getting weak current from a bad switch.

If it is only one window that has a problem, the problem probably does not lie in the Master Window Control Switch, but is still a possibility. The power goes from the interior fuse panel, to the Master Window Control Switch on the driver's door, then to the Right Front Control Switch on the passenger's door and then to the Right Front Window Motor. A problem along this route could cause your trouble.

Old 08-29-2004, 05:36 PM
Calica
New User
I did see that info were we can purchase gears and or motors fom a place in Florida if I'm not mistaken, and I did bookmark it. I actually took the door panel off yesterday and checked to see if I could notice anything unusual, but they seemed to be fairly lubed and really couldn't determine anything. If I were to roll the window all the way down with assistance from my hand guiding it down. It will then roll up on it's own, but stops half way and begins to clicking as if the gears were slipping. But like I mentioned to you before, I just can't see all gears going all at once. I did use a probe to test switch and they marked high, so we'll see what happens if I were to change the switch. I priced it at a Ford dealership and they quoted me $54.00 for the switch and $200+ for the kit.

My dad can actually get it for me for practicly nothing back at my home town since he works for an auto parts place. That's were I get practicly all my parts that I need for what ever work I need to do on the Explorer. I'll just have to wait for him to ship it to me.
I'll keep you posted if that actually works for me. Thanks

Old 08-29-2004, 07:00 PM
wickware
Senior User

Calica, You are on the job! One trick I forgot to try when I inspected my tracks, gears, arms and etc.. Using my digital camera to take pics of the gears (Plastic and metal meshing) looking for wear where I could not see.

I actually wanted to pull the motor to feel the window’s movement free of the motor and gears. The rivets and possible timing problems changed my mind. Only my driver's side window has been used occasionally since my 1996 purchase @ 39,000 miles. The Explorer was almost too clean and loaded for what I had planned. If I had ordered a new one, I would not have ordered the power options (windows, locks mirrors and etc.) that are known future problems. Auto trans, radio and air would have covered my needs, which was about 5,000 over this top package deal. Joe

Old 08-29-2004, 08:17 PM
TomCarperNGiles
Junior User
Same problem for my '91. Only it was just the front left and the back right. I could not believe that two windows could have gone out within days of each other. The stopping and then the clicking on both.
There was no problem with any switches. It has no relay. And everything was fine except the motor/regulator assembly. After 14 years (made in '90) what could I say.
After replacing the assembly, these two windows are like new. Now I will do the other two when I can. Cost for one assembly was $68.
Also, on my front windows I had to drill a hole to let me get to the 3rd bolt on the assembly. It was all ready marked.
Good luck to all.

Tom.

Old 08-29-2004, 08:50 PM
wickware
Senior User

Thanks Tom CarperNGiles! Hopefully I will not get to this expense level. If so, I'll consider fixing my two back windows closed and maintaining my two front windows. Mainly due to no kids or passengers 99.9 % of the time, just firewood and stuff. At some points these situations' costs are more than they are worth. Joe

Old 09-14-2004, 07:29 PM
TomCarperNGiles
Junior User
You'r wellcome.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:33 AM
jme621
New User
anyone have pics of these things that need replaced? need to do my front passenger window and need to know what it is i am looking for to replace. thx