Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 08:48 AM
jimkidd
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS Warning Light

My ABS Light is on.

1) I replaced the RABS.

2) Disconnected the ground cables from the batteries for at least 15 min.

3) Checked all the fuses, inside & out.

4) Turned key on, ABS light on.

5) Started engine, ABS Light goes off.

6) 1-2 seconds latter ABS Light on.

7) Drive around a while. Automatic shifts fine. Speedo works.

8) Turn Engine off.

9) Repeat 4-8. same results. WTF?

Any ideals?

jimbo

Old 09-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Dick7.3
Junior User
You check the brake fluid level?

Old 09-22-2006, 09:54 AM
jimkidd
Elder User
Originally Posted by Dick7.3
You check the brake fluid level?
Yes. And the lines have been bled.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your VSS in the rear diff. Also check the sensor on the front of your master cylinder.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:46 AM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
Posted by DaBigTow:

This is from the '96 Ford service manual...

Warning Lamp Indicators

The red BRAKE warning light is constantly monitored by the anti-lock electronic control module. If the red light illuminates, the anti-lock electronic control module will disable the RABS II system and turn on the yellow RABS light. For this reason, diagnosing and resolving any base brake concerns illuminating the red BRAKE warning light will, in most cases, resolve a perceived RABS II concern.

Brake Light Self Check

The red BRAKE warning light is used to indicate a low fluid level condition or parking brake applied condition. To check this light, insert the key in the ignition switch (11572) and turn it to the START position. The light should glow in this position. If it fails to glow, go to the Symptom Chart.

Allow the key to spring back from the START position to the RUN position. At this time the BRAKE warning light should turn off. If it does not turn off, recheck the parking brake to make sure that it is fully disengaged. In the event that the BRAKE warning light remains on, go to the Symptom Chart.

Rear Anti-Lock Warning Light

The yellow REAR ABS warning light is used to indicate a malfunction and a deactivation of the RABS II system. To check this light, first follow the procedure above for Red Brake Warning Light Self-Check, and allow the key to spring back from START position to the RUN position. The yellow REAR ABS warning light should perform a self-check by glowing for approximately two seconds and then turning off. If it turns back on and does not flash, then a system concern has been detected. Refer to On-Board Diagnostics, Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Retrieving. If it fails to glow, go to the Symptom Chart.

On-Board Diagnostics

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Retrieving

CAUTION:
Care must be taken to connect only the black/orange stripe wire to ground. Connecting the red mating connector wire to ground will result in a blown fuse.

Verify the key is in the RUN position (engine does not need to be running). Next, locate the black RABS II diagnostic connector. The diagnostic connector has two mating halves (one of which has a black/orange wire connected to it). Disconnect the two halves.

Attach one end of a jumper wire to the black with orange stripe wire side of the diagnostic connector. Momentarily ground the other end of the jumper wire by connecting it to a good chassis ground for 1-2 seconds. Grounding this wire should start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing. If grounding this wire does not start the yellow REAR ABS warning light flashing, go to the Symptom Chart.

The code consists of a number of short flashes and ends with a long flash. Count the short flashes and include the following long flash in the count to obtain the code number. For example, three short flashes followed by one long flash indicates diagnostic trouble Code 4. The code will continue to repeat itself until the key is turned off. It is recommended that the code be verified by reading it several times. This code will be used later for system repair instructions. It should be written down for future use. Diagnostic trouble code 16 indicates that the anti-lock electronic control module detects normal system operation.

Diagnostic Trouble Codes, Erasing

The last step of the System Pre-Check always includes clearing the Keep-Alive Memory (KAM). To do this, simply turn off the ignition while the diagnostic connector halves are separated as described in the procedures for obtaining the diagnostic trouble code above, after which the diagnostic connector should be reassembled to provide KAM power to the anti-lock electronic control module. If at this time a valid code has been obtained, go to the appropriate pinpoint test for that code.

Check out this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...?highlight=abs

Old 09-22-2006, 07:18 PM
jimkidd
Elder User
Error code 12.

jimbo

Old 09-23-2006, 10:29 PM
plowhand
Playing in the Dirt
jimkidd, PM DaBigTow, he should be able to give the info on that error code.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2006, 12:01 AM
DaBigTow
Elder User
Everything I find on ABS code 12 indicates trouble somewhere in the brake fluid level arena, either low fluid or a bad sensor.

Old 09-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Whiskeyman35
New User
I have a question about the ABS light also. I had brakes put on over a month ago and had no issues till this weekend. After filling up I was pulling onto the road when another truck changed lanes on me so I had to punch it to get out of his way. After doing so the ABS light came on and didn't go off again until I turned the ignition off and cranked it up again. Any ideas as to why this might happen would be appreciated. I just wanna make sure I dont have a problem surfacing but it hasn't happened again.
thanks,
Mike

Old 09-25-2006, 07:39 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The light went on in my 96 about a month ago. It started with just an ABS light. Then the speedo went nuts and it shifted strange. I replaced the sensor on the rear. Everything worked for a few miles but went nuts again. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to a shop. They said 96s had a problem with wiring underneath shorting out. They had it fixed in less than an hour. Mine is an E series so it might not apply to yours.