Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 04:33 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by awe911
when chaniging your oil make sure the filters is on before adding oil
ditto for the drain plug, got about 3 quarts through that old dodge before i realized it, only had three left (2 plus one to carry) also used 1 atf and half a quart of 75w90 gear oil!, but it worked!

Old 04-19-2004, 11:59 PM
white99
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fin2lean. I'll second the oil eating through the milk jugs. had about 3 gallons in my garage once. too lazy to get it to the recycle barrell. One had let go and oozed all over the floor. The bad part is I wasn't the one to find it. I walked into the backyard one evening and found a trail of clothes from the backyard into the garage. My 3 yr old girl and 4 yr old boy had turned the other 2 gallons and the garage floor into a huge slip-n-slide. had to was them off with Dawn dish soap. they smelled like oil for 3 more days

Old 04-20-2004, 12:44 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by gatesj
I've gotta say I've tested bearings like this, if they spin nice and easy with the blow gun they're usually OK to reuse.

Well, I tried this little trick with the stock F-150 2WD front wheel bearings with the plastic roller cage. That thing spun up, the plastic stretched blew apart and the rollers flew like bullets in all directions. This all happens faster than you can react. Lucky I didn't get anything through the eye. I've done this plenty of times with bearings with metal cages with no problem, but I found out the hard way about plastic cages!
Please guys, just because this guy still has all of his fingers don't do this.

Even a bad bearing will spin with air. A bearing can sieze up and just like he says it "happens faster than you can react". It will rip your fingers right off. You can not test a bearing that way. If in doubt replace the bearing. There are wear indicators and other things to look for when checking a bearing.

DO NOT SPIN BEARINGS WITH AIR! Spinning bearings with air is very dangerous! DO NOT DO IT!!

Old 04-20-2004, 06:47 AM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Torque1st
Please guys, just because this guy still has all of his fingers don't do this.

Even a bad bearing will spin with air. A bearing can sieze up and just like he says it "happens faster than you can react". It will rip your fingers right off. You can not test a bearing that way. If in doubt replace the bearing. There are wear indicators and other things to look for when checking a bearing.

DO NOT SPIN BEARINGS WITH AIR! Spinning bearings with air is very dangerous! DO NOT DO IT!!
Uhhh, yeah, I haven't tried that little stunt since that happened. Believe it or not this was shown to me by a man who's made a living all of his life as a mechanic, I assumed if that's what he said to do it was safe, but rollers flying everywhere like bullets proved otherwise.

You would not believe how fast it happens.

I didn't even think about the bearing siezing. When I had problems, the cage and rollers went flying out from the inner race, but the race I was holding didn't move... I don't know which is worse...

Here's something else that's related that I've heard: Do not blow air at skin, it can rip it, blow air into blood vessels and stop your heart. I don't know if this is medically true but it's enough to make me nervous...

Air really is pretty dangerous, empty the water out of your tank all of the time, if it rusts and bursts it can cause a lot of damage.. Or get a drain kit. I open the drain at least once a day, when I close up the shop.

Last edited by gatesj; 04-20-2004 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Realized prior post had answered my question...
Old 04-21-2004, 10:03 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
[QUOTE=gatesj]

Here's something else that's related that I've heard: Do not blow air at skin, it can rip it, blow air into blood vessels and stop your heart. I don't know if this is medically true but it's enough to make me nervous...

how many psi are you using??? i have done that several thousand times and never had anything other than a cold finger, compressed air down your back in the summer heat feels awesome instant ac

Old 04-22-2004, 07:34 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A machinist at work was at trade school however many years ago, and somebody was goofing around with the air compressor. He tried to "goose" somebody else with it, and the air went up his butt and he died instantly. That answer your question? I believe it's OK on your hands, but keep it away from body cavities.

<!I've heard horror stories about when you are trying to please a lady and blow, the same thing happens, but I don't know how true that is. Maybe just a story.>

Last edited by Torque1st; 04-23-2004 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:54 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mgraveman
A machinist at work was at trade school however many years ago, and somebody was goofing around with the air compressor. He tried to "goose" somebody else with it, and the air went up his butt and he died instantly. That answer your question? I believe it's OK on your hands, but keep it away from body cavities.

I've heard horror stories about when you are trying to please a lady and blow, the same thing happens, but I don't know how true that is. Maybe just a story.
Okay, I got curious and looked it up. With enough force near broken skin, it cause air in the bloodstream, called a gas embolism. From http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/safet...ssed_air.html:

Second, compressed air itself is also a serious hazard. On rare occasions, some of the compressed air can enter the blood stream through a break in the skin or through a body opening. An air bubble in the blood stream is known medically as an embolism, a dangerous medical condition in which a blood vessel is blocked, in this case, by an air bubble. An embolism of an artery can cause coma, paralysis or death depending upon its size, duration and location. While air embolisms are usually associated with incorrect diving procedures, they are possible with compressed air due to high pressures. While this seems improbable, the consequences of even a small quantity of air or other gas in the blood can quickly be fatal.

Unfortunately, horseplay has been a cause of some serious workplace accidents caused by individuals not aware of the hazards of compressed air, or proper work procedures.

Some other links:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/encyclopedia/air_embolism
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionar...Gas%20embolism

Old 04-23-2004, 12:29 PM
bocephus_3349
Senior User
never and i mean never try to trim the stereo install kit on your lap in the car!!
last easter sunday i was putting a stereo in from my sister inlaw i had the install kit on my lap and was useing a hd. utility knife to trim it when whoops i sliped. stuck the knife allmost 2inchs in to my leg and slit it a good 2.5 inchs. with the nephew and his little sister in the car. when i pulled the knife out and the wound the fun started. it filled my bran new pants and boots with blood. ran into the house yelled for the wife and some bandaids. this all goes down 15 min before the whole family about 30 people are to come to dinner. the only thing i got out of it was 10 stitches on the inside and 13 on the outside.

Old 04-23-2004, 01:00 PM
4rdsrock
Junior User
Originally Posted by alanscott
DO not leave a greasy rag under the work bench while your welding. "What's that smell"?
amen to that brother

Old 05-10-2004, 09:08 PM
hd2000fxdl
New User
I didn't see it mentioned, but a lot of people I know and all of my trucks and cars have them. I am talking about the remote starters that are becoming more common place these days, make sure you are extra careful and when working on your ride to disconect the nagative on the battery.
I leand on the button while under my truck and accidentaly started it while I just about to remove the filter.
Nothing happend, but scared the you know what out of me being I was the only person around at the time.

Harry

Old 05-11-2004, 06:08 PM
dogman
Elder User
Heres one for you. Chain your O2 and argon bottles so they dont fall. The guy next door did not and now I have a new window hole. One problem, the hole is on the ground and I have to move a 1200 pound brake back 2 feet.

Old 05-12-2004, 08:25 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dogman
Heres one for you. Chain your O2 and argon bottles so they dont fall. The guy next door did not and now I have a new window hole. One problem, the hole is on the ground and I have to move a 1200 pound brake back 2 feet.
Compressed gas is some scary sh**. And acetylene gets unstable and explosive when it's pressurized over 15psi out of solution. This is definitely the scariest crap in my shop. They have some pictures posted up of what gas cylinders have done to cars/trucks when they have blown up at the welding shop I go to. Unbelievable.

Old 05-13-2004, 07:29 PM
BlueOvalDrifter88
Junior User
Heres a good one. A group was using the four post lift at my high school. Some how the kid working it managed to only release the locks on the two rear posts when lowering the car. The front of the lift dropped about two feet lower than the rear and the car was about to ready to roll off. The others in the group, being the smart ones they are, figured they would stand in front of the car and try holding it up by the bumper. Ive never seen my shop teacher run so fast. Luckily the car stayed up and no one was hurt. I still cant unterstand why the fellow didnt just stop lowering the car.

Old 05-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Thoth88
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Things not to do....

Definately protect your self, cause who will care for your FORD if you aint around to do it?

Besure to remove any and ALL wrenchs from anything and everthing that you can get to spin really FAST. Guy at my shop didn't remove the wrench from the mill and sent parts of said wrench through several walls.

Turn all pagers, cell phones, and alarms(especially the one for your FORD) OFF when you will be working under your FORD. Habits are hard to break but it's really easy to brain your self on a drive shaft or frame when they go off.

If you decide to check if your spark plug wire is getting the juice to the plug make sure you aren't touching a GROUND. My shop teacher actually DANCED in time with the engine.

Don't leave your tools out, a place for everything and everything in it's place! Cause who knows your just might find your missing screw driver as it sails across the room.

Old 05-26-2004, 03:25 PM
zhdrummer
Freshman User
Don't store your chemicals in the garage if your water heater is in there!

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........