Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 08:38 AM
mgraveman
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Piles of oily rags can spontaneously combust.

When your friend says "here, hold this" and it is a spark plug boot on a lawnmower with no insulation while he tries to start it - Don't do it.

Don't touch spark plug wires when the engine is running and they are oily.

Don't grind straight up in the air with exposed insulation (that wasn't me, but it did burn a big hole in the roof of our shop in high school)

I know there's plenty more, I just can't remember them all now.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:38 PM
stepman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aint that how it always goes? There is always something that you just can't remember (till it's too late). Sometimes you may get suttle clues,and then if you don't pay attention to them....bang, all of the sudden, you remember. We seem to have all done things that we know we shouldn't have (some won't admit it) but if the lesson wasn't too tough then hopefully we get to look back and laugh.

This thread has gotten so long that I don't remember if this one was covered but, don't do anything near oily rags. They not only go up by themselves like someone just mentioned but even faster with help from things like a welder, a torch, a grinder, or even a smoke.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:26 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black1
When siphoning a tank, make sure you know what's in it.

When I was in high school, dad gets off the phone one day just laughing his **** off. It seems one of his RV buddies caught a neighbor boy trying to steal gas from his RV. The kid tried siphoning some off by sucking on the hose he'd stuck in the tank - THE BLACK WATER TANK! My dad's buddy came out to find the kid upchucking like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. Evidently that mouth full of God-know's-how-old poopy water was too much for the kid.
That couldn't have happened. The only access for the black water or grey water tank on a RV or travel trailer is the gravity drain to drain the tanks at a dump station. If that guy opened up the drain on the tank, a lot of stinky water would have come out. The black and gray water tanks have no other access fittings. The only fittings are inside the trailer, like the toilet, sinks, etc. There are no fittings on either tank that resemble a filler spout for the gasoline or diesel tank. The only fittings are inside the trailer or RV in the form of plumbing fixtures.

Old 04-12-2004, 09:57 PM
BroncoRoadKill
Posting Guru
How many differrent models of RVs are their? Maybe there are some that have a side acess. Or a custom job.

Old 04-13-2004, 12:52 AM
460f250
Elder User
I'm embarrassed to admit, but while I was in a welding class practicing my oxy-acetylene welding skills on a piece of exhaust pipe (up close and personal) I could smell smoke. I looked down and saw theh front of my coveralls on fire. Could have been very serious had I been wearing synthetic clothes but as it was I can laugh now.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:56 AM
62uni4x4
Senior User
Talking Lift

NEVER INSTALL 6" of suspensin lift, 2 inches of body lift and 38" boogers on your ford Highboy In the garage.
Not good
Ended up squeesing it out on s
flat stock rollers barely WHEW

Last edited by 62uni4x4; 04-13-2004 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:58 AM
62uni4x4
Senior User
Oh yea,
Dont let your five yearold use your balljoint press...
Still havent found it all

Old 04-13-2004, 09:00 AM
Black1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=jrs_big_ford_f150]That couldn't have happened.QUOTE]

Ok, call me a liar.

It was over 20 years ago. I've got nothing to prove to you.

I was just relieved I didn't know the kid. My dad had a temper, and I didn't want any guilt-by-association.

Old 04-13-2004, 09:00 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 62uni4x4
NEVER INSTALL 6" of suspensin lift, 2 inches of body lift and 38" boogers on your ford In the garage.
Not good
Ended up squeesing it out on s
flat stock rollers barely WHEW
That's a good one I did something similar. I had hung my topper in the garage from the rafters. Some months went buy and I put bigger tires on, loaded up the topper for a trip and realized it wasn't going to fit going out. I was lucky I could let the air out of the tires and slip it out........

Old 04-13-2004, 03:20 PM
ZZZzzzz
Freshman User
Propane Torch ...

I have a Bernz-O-Matic propane torch with a "trigger start ignition". You squeeze the trigger ... the gas flows and the piezo-electric igniter lights it off ... all in one operation. As long as you hold the trigger you got flame.

Do not store with the "torch head" connected to the propane bottle. I did, I put the complete assembly in a plastic tool box ... while driving home the other tools in the box shifted and "lit-off" the torch. Luckly it was a short drive and I only lost the tool box ... 4" diameter hole burned in the side of the box plus lots of smoke. Note: The torch does have a flimsy "on/off" trigger **** which, of course, I never used.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:35 PM
72stepside
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things not to do in your garage...

hang wallpaper
hang pink curtains
have Yanni in your stereo
let the wife park anything in there

Old 04-13-2004, 06:44 PM
berkad
Posting Guru
Sorry , call me whipped, but I can do all but the last. I tried to throw her out of MY closet, Nope. Tried to throw her out from under MY sick in the bathroom, Nope! ( have started to leave the lid up, Let her stop me!)

She still continues to park in the garage. Kids keep coming home too. I can not figure this out!

Old 04-13-2004, 10:37 PM
Stump Man
Freshman User
Never ever wash your clothes like this

I worked in an aerosol plant years ago. A mysteriously started fire consumed the plant. We tried to stop the water drenched equipment from rusting by sraying it with a mixture of kerosene and WD40. My clothes were covered in the mix as well. I went back to the apartment, snuk into the boiler room and turned up the hot water all the way. (thinking it would cut the grease better.) I started the washer, threw in my clothes and sprayed in a six pack of uphostery and carpet cleaner (which I brought home from the plant) and closed the lid. The washer filled, when the agitator started it egnited all the propane. A ball of flame blow open the lid and burned my hair eyebrows, lashes and the hair on my arms. After the lid banged shut I opened it to find a ring of blue flame resting above the water. It made so much noise that the neighbor lady came out to see what happened. I did not know I was hairless untill the lady asked "What happened to you?". It was stupid.
Bill

Old 04-14-2004, 12:18 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Do NOT pipe your air compressor with PVC.
Dono

Old 04-14-2004, 02:04 AM
62uni4x4
Senior User
Never let your friends inhale your nitrous

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........