Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 04:01 AM
GlennF250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 62uni4x4
Never let your friends inhale your nitrous
I think it is very important to specify the reason why NOT.
AUTOMOTIVE GRADE NITROUS CONTAINS POISONOUS GASES, do-not inhale it.

People might inhale it to show off and they'll die as a result.
The sulfur dioxide contained in it is deadly, it is not medical grade gas and should not be fooled around with. If you hear someone joke about it, make sure they know it is poisonous or they may end up dead. People hear the word nitrous and think it is harmless.

Old 04-14-2004, 05:48 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Originally Posted by 72stepside
Things not to do in your garage...

let the wife park anything in there
TRUE! Once she parks in there, its all over. That spot will be her's. Until I was able to build my own big garage, my wife parked in the driveway. I was once between projects and let her park in the garage during the winter...that was it...couldn't get that spot back.

Another thing not to do in your garage is to change your truck's fuel filter while having a drop light on the floor. Make sure its far enough away from the fuel dripping out of the gas line so that it doesn't start a fire.

Old 04-14-2004, 08:48 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
NEVER use the wife's dishwasher as a parts washer!!!!!

I had an intake off an explorer that was really gummed up with carbon. I tried to get it all out but ran out of carb cleaner, it was late and the wife was in bed already so I slipped the intake and fuel rail assemblies into the dishwasher, set it to it's hottest setting, and went to bed. Got up early the next morning to find that my intake and fuel rail were super clean, looked like I had them vatted... I was so happy! But that was short lived, before I even got them back on the motor I heard her, she used my whole name and some adjectives! Seems that she had came in and did a load of dishes and they came out stinking of gasoline and had little black specs all over them. My clean parts cost me... new dishwasher and dishes. But I have my own dishwasher now and it makes a heck of a parts washer.

Old 04-14-2004, 09:23 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Please check the FAQ section on PVC pipe.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:14 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Torque1st
Please check the FAQ section on PVC pipe.
Tried that - came back "No Matches".

Old 04-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Read the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum, no search is necessary.

Please keep this thread on topic.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:12 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally Posted by Torque1st
Read the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum, no search is necessary.

Please keep this thread on topic.
Found it, read it , sorry if I did something wrong.
Was I off topic (things not to do in the garage)?, "please feel free to add to the list". If I was, it was not intended.
Dono

Last edited by dono; 04-14-2004 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:33 PM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Black1]
Originally Posted by jrs_big_ford_f150
That couldn't have happened.QUOTE]

Ok, call me a liar.

It was over 20 years ago. I've got nothing to prove to you.

I was just relieved I didn't know the kid. My dad had a temper, and I didn't want any guilt-by-association.
I wasn't trying to call you a liar. That was not my intention. I apologize to you for that. I was just stating that I have never seen any access to a black or gray water tank that resembled a gas tank filler. I apologize again, I didn't mean to sound as if I were calling you a liar. I hope this clears it up.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:38 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Thanks guys

Old 04-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
okay read the whole post and i have two that are truly stupid things that i have done

1. when you change your tire and are letting it down move your hand from under the tire, the front of these trucks arent light believe me.

2. when setting your freshly rebuilt motor in the one with the 4x4 specific oil pan that does not have an aftermarket replacement make sure the stinger isnt out to far on the cherry picker becuse you may try but you cant catch and hold the motor
reults flat oil pan severely torn up pinky finger.

Old 04-18-2004, 04:13 PM
awe911
New User
when chaniging your oil make sure the filters is on before adding oil

when changing diff gasket make sure before you start that the fill plug will come loose as i did not check taking for granted that it would but no.i got the diff off just fine gasket on and put everything back together no problem but when i went to undo the filler plug would not budge used a 3/8 ratchet but is a little to loose int the square nut and a 1/2 racthet is way to big so i ended up putting the fluid in a bag and closing the cover and spilling bout a quart of that stinky stuff all over me still havent got that plug out

Old 04-18-2004, 08:02 PM
mgraveman
Elder User
A friend of mine tore up his rear end on a chevy. He got it all back together and had to fill it through the vent tube. It nearly took him all day to fill it.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:51 PM
awe911
New User
VENT TUBE???WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE THAT is so as i can add another quart.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:39 PM
mgraveman
Elder User
IT was a 94 Chevy half ton, I believe. Near the top of the diff, there was a small tube about 12'' long. It had a breather type element on the end, like my 82 1 ton does on the gas tank. When he removed the breather, he could fill it there, but it took painfully long. It was right in the middle, not on the axle tube or anything like that, I believe on the driveshaft side about an inch from the top.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:15 PM
gatesj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by CustomCab4x4
Don't spin your wheel bearings with a blowgun when you blow the solvent off of em. The resulting explosion will tear the heck out of your fingers. Sure, it makes a neat sound, but don't do it.

I've gotta say I've tested bearings like this, if they spin nice and easy with the blow gun they're usually OK to reuse.

Well, I tried this little trick with the stock F-150 2WD front wheel bearings with the plastic roller cage. That thing spun up, the plastic stretched blew apart and the rollers flew like bullets in all directions. This all happens faster than you can react. Lucky I didn't get anything through the eye. I've done this plenty of times with bearings with metal cages with no problem, but I found out the hard way about plastic cages!

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........