Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 07:45 PM
rander101
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beemer Nut

You've got me there. What do you suppose made the odor so bad? I've never known old gasoline to get bad odor. I assume it was oil/gas mixture for a 2 cycle so it must have been the oil. I'll bet if you could get it to run in an engine the exhaust would kill mosquitos in 3 counties.

Rander

Old 08-02-2004, 11:59 PM
evilbeast
Elder User
Originally Posted by rander101
Beemer Nut

You've got me there. What do you suppose made the odor so bad? I've never known old gasoline to get bad odor. I assume it was oil/gas mixture for a 2 cycle so it must have been the oil. I'll bet if you could get it to run in an engine the exhaust would kill mosquitos in 3 counties.

Rander

if it will kill skeeters in 3 counties, ship that stuff to me, ill find a way to make a motor run off it!!! got some hellacious bug problems out here!

Old 08-08-2004, 12:31 AM
matt77F2504x4
Elder User
this is the most enjoyable thread ive read yet.
here's mine (or one of them)
i had started working in a huge scenery shop as the runner. i had just returned to the shop with a load of 2" square tubing(.095 about 100 - 20ft. sticks.
these were loaded on the flatbed at an angle resting on the bar behind the cab window. i put stickers down behind the truck and waited for the forklift driver to unload. i had used two load straps and had undone one of them while waiting(stupid!) here comes the forklift driver and i decide to be ready on the rear strap. now remember that steel comes oiled. i clicked the strap once and WHAM! the next thing i know the whole bundle is lying on the stickers perfectly like the forklift had put it there. luckily no one was behind the truck or id be permanently depressed. got lucky on that one and learned my lesson good!

Old 08-08-2004, 02:21 AM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
this is the most enjoyable thread ive read yet.
I've been keepin up with this thread since it started, This is one that i have actually read every post on. Experience is priceless.

Old 08-08-2004, 06:12 PM
matt77F2504x4
Elder User
i feel like if i post in this thread too much you guys will take away my wrenching privleges. but since everyone starts out green here's a doosey.
working in the metal shop, i needed to make about a 4" cut in something. the cut off wheel on the angle grinder wasn't big enough around so i had the bright idea of using a hot saw blade that had been worn down too small for the saw. long story short, when i turned it on that thing was WAY out of round and acted like a propeller. i literally couldnt hold the thing still and barely got it shut off before being filleted by it.
dont try to misuse tools. they make lots of different ones for a reason!

Old 08-08-2004, 08:19 PM
JOHNHENRYS48
New User
>> i literally couldnt hold the thing still and barely got it shut off before being filleted by it.

Ok, time to fess up...I'm new member here and I really hate to make one of my first posts an admission of stupidity, but here it is.

About 10 years ago I decided to chrome the controls and lower forks on my motorcycle. Having the front end apart and a few weeks before the parts came back, I decided to spend the time polishing other pieces. The panel behind the headlight is made of stainless steel. I put a cloth polishing head in my hand drill and went to work. The problem was that I could not get enough RPMs to really heat up the polishing compound and work it into the hard metal...so, the engineer in me takes over and in an effort to gain speed I switched to a 3/4 horse router...the router has a very wide base and I could not get close enough to the piece...so in one of my more famous Einsteinien moments, I took a 1/4 inch x 8 inch zinc bolt, double nuted the polishing head on the threaded end and cut off the bolt head...then chucked the whole thing in the router, set the RPMs to ludicrous speed and fired it up. All was well up until I pressed the polishing head against the metal...immediatly the 8 inch bolt bent 90 degrees and now I had a 4 pound, 28000 RPM, out of balance monster trying twist my arms into a mobius strip. For a few seconds I was doing a girly dance in front of the workbench, then I realized I could just step back and pull the cord out of the wall socket...I stood there with a blank stare and realized just how lucky I was...it was almost as bad as the time I tried to wash my wifes cat while I was in the shower.

Old 08-08-2004, 09:46 PM
tmerring64
New User
Today I have learend a few lessons. Thanks

Old 08-08-2004, 10:03 PM
jrfitness
New User
Always keep some rags or paper towels by the door to the house to keep from getting grease on the **** and door. Helps to keep arguments down with the wife.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:35 AM
85 F-350CrewCab
Senior User
Originally Posted by alanscott
DO not leave a greasy rag under the work bench while your welding. "What's that smell"?
Dont weld near a pile of used oil dry

fire extinguisher?

Old 08-26-2004, 10:34 AM
ken522
New User
Don't use the shop vac to pressurize a gas tank to find leaks, unless you disconnect it before shutting it off. The fumes that flow back when you cut the power will make the shop vac into your entry for unmanned space craft. Yep, did it but outside the garage...must have reached 20ft or so, and the heavy plastic motor cover was still somewhat liquid when it touched down.

Old 08-26-2004, 07:01 PM
evilbeast
Elder User
Originally Posted by ken522
Don't use the shop vac to pressurize a gas tank to find leaks, unless you disconnect it before shutting it off. The fumes that flow back when you cut the power will make the shop vac into your entry for unmanned space craft. Yep, did it but outside the garage...must have reached 20ft or so, and the heavy plastic motor cover was still somewhat liquid when it touched down.
i would pay to see that!!

Old 08-26-2004, 07:09 PM
SP_51-F1
Freshman User
Yeah, if anyone else does that, get a video!

Old 08-26-2004, 07:15 PM
85 F-350CrewCab
Senior User
Originally Posted by evilbeast
i would pay to see that!!
i agree!

Old 08-27-2004, 09:36 AM
eckart
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Knew a contractor that tried to suck gas out of a gas tanks with his shop vac. He ok, his shopvac isn't.

Old 08-27-2004, 05:03 PM
rick90yj
Senior User
OK, this kinda goes along with the vacuum cleaner...and we all know ...sadly now, there can be but one outcome...
I had an old 68 Pontiac Catalina with a 400 CID engine, and had replaced the timing chain when I bought it, because the guy I got it from told me it wouldn't run right. The teeth were all gone from the cam gear...anyway. I got the new chain set in, and tried to start it. It'd start, but the second I gave it gas, it would die. Sometimes it'd run like a champ, and sometimes it would start and then die if I hit the gas. I'm working on it, did the fuel line into a gas can to get it running, and drove it around the parking lot at the apartments. OK, it's a fuel problem. A guy watching us suggests that there may be crud on the filter in the tank..."so, just disconnect the fuel line somewhere and blow into the line, that will clear the screen." Crawl under it, find a spot that the gas line is spliced and disconnect it, and lying on my back under the thing, I blow into the line back to the tank. I can hear the bubbles in the gastank...GREAT...I grinned...I got it cleared out. What I didn't take into account was that blowing into the gastank also pressurized it. The only exit for the pressure was back out the fuel line. Still lying under the car, with about an inch of clearance between myself and the underside of the car and I'm suddenly getting showered in gasoline. In my eyes, my mouth, my nose, hair, ears...not a pretty picture...luckily, I wasn't smoking or using a cutting torch to weld the gasline. The final solution to the problem....when I blew into the gas line, I not only heard the bubbling in the tank, I heard a whistling sound from the gas line above the rear axle at the highest point it travelled. That was why it never showed up as a puddle on the ground. The second it was shut off, the holes let air suck in and the gas drained back to the tank. Two inches of rubber fuel line and two clamps and it ran until the frame rusted through and broke...ahhh, Minnesota winters...

Last edited by rick90yj; 08-27-2004 at 05:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........