Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 06:36 PM
faroffthetrack
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've done that before. Didn't smash my windshield, but it sure was a _____ to get back down.

Last edited by faroffthetrack; 07-28-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:50 PM
evilbeast
Elder User
my dad did that years ago in a mazda, but he didnt forget to latch it, we were goin close to 70 down the interstate, and the hood just poped open, and the safetey latch, didnt. busted the windshield all to hell!!

Old 07-31-2004, 06:50 AM
rick90yj
Senior User
Fired right up...

Originally Posted by hairball12
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Aug-02 AT 03:22 AM (EST)]

Dont use starter fluid!!!! This is some dangerous stuff.
Every time Ive ever used it I wound up with a little fire.
The last time I used it I got a big fire.
O yea, make sure you you remember where you stashed
the damm fire extinguisher if you ever do use it. Latter......
I was helping a friend get his 57 Chevy started after school one day. The engine was a high performance 327, and he hadn't quite gotten the carb tuned yet, so he would pop the air cleaner and give it a shot of starter fluid, then crank it over. This particular day it was being stubborn, so he stood out there and sprayed it, and had me crank it over. I could see between the hood and cowl, and when it backfired, I saw the ball of flame roll up the hood and curl back down and envelop his head. Needless to say, he tuned the carb that night.

Old 07-31-2004, 09:34 AM
rick90yj
Senior User
Hood latches...

Originally Posted by evilbeast
my dad did that years ago in a mazda, but he didnt forget to latch it, we were goin close to 70 down the interstate, and the hood just poped open, and the safetey latch, didnt. busted the windshield all to hell!!

Went to Walmart the summer after I got my Jeep Wrangler with my wife and daughter and her friend. While we were inside, apparently somebody decided to play a joke on me and unhooked the hood latches. We came out, jumped in, and took off down the road. Top down, doors off, wind in our hair, when I noticed the hood starting to shake. I just set my foot on the brake pedal (going 55 MPH) when the hood popped open and slammed into the top of the windshield. Thank God for the rollbar. Had to take the hood off and pound it straight. Nobody got hurt, but we definitely had to change clothes when we got home.

Old 07-31-2004, 10:54 AM
don_79f250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Learn about and respect all chemicals you're using - I recall the foreman who set his workers to cleaning parts with pure acetic acid, bare hands, no breathing protection, no fume hood, "cause it's only vinagre". The whole staff went home, permanently, a few hours later when they started bleeding from their noses from the acid burns to their respratory tracts.

Less depressing - a buddy was a subway train mechanic. For a certain check, they needed the brakes full on and the motor driving. When in a hurry, they'd apply the brake, jam the "go"-lever on with a screwdriver, then climb under to do their check. It had to happen sooner or later - one day the brakes failed while under load, and a ten ton subway car went crashing through the wall of the shop building. Incredibly noone was hurt, but a few lost their jobs.

Old 08-01-2004, 12:05 AM
F150'89
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bowshooter
Never ever tell your wife how much room you have in your garage after cleaning it up. She will find stuff to fill the extra space.
Ricky
I have a one car garage and its full of the wifes stuff!! I asked her what she was going to do with the JUNK and she said she did not know and that her stuff was not JUNK!

Old 08-01-2004, 12:23 AM
coplin
Senior User
Originally Posted by evilbeast

dont use a grinder on nuclear grade stainless steel without gloves, and a full leather body suit, this stuff gets hot, and doesnt grind, just melts and produces slag like welding.

Cause that's something the average Joe will come across

Old 08-01-2004, 09:13 AM
maa139
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by coplin
Cause that's something the average Joe will come across
Most likely, no, but if you ever do you don't have an excuse anymore!

Old 08-01-2004, 12:11 PM
evilbeast
Elder User
exactly, atleast you cant say that i didnt warn ya!!!

Old 08-01-2004, 06:58 PM
thuffman
New User
Milk jugs lasted how long?

My local garbage company will pick up oil every week, and requests it be put in milk jugs (or other clear plastic). How long did it take the oil to degrade the jugs? Anyone have a better free solution? Thanks.
Originally Posted by fin2lean
Do not store used motor oil in old milk jugs. Eventually it will eat the bottom out, boy what a mess.

If you are working on the garage door, turn the power off, so that your significant other doesn't try to open it while you have your head, arm, etc. in the wrong place.

Paul

Old 08-01-2004, 07:37 PM
rhodie
Senior User
I use the plastic bottles from laudry soap...like TIDE, you know...nice and sturdy for storing for a while. I got a couple of big ones that must hold like 2 gallons. Maybe when it comes time to put it out for collection, you could then transfer them over to clear plastic? (too many steps maybe?)

Old 08-01-2004, 09:03 PM
fordtruck88
Senior User
dont try to melt copper in an old brake drum with the drum on the cement garage floor, the heat will cause small pieces of hot cement to break off the floor and shoot around

Old 08-02-2004, 12:30 AM
Fomoko1
Received 1,409 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Never use a trouble light near a gasoline leak. A mechanic was fixing a fuel delivery truck when some gas from it dripped on a hot light and caused the bulb to break causing a fire that killed the man.

Old 08-02-2004, 02:23 PM
rander101
Senior User
Thuffman:

I've kept used oil in old plastic milk jugs for up to 6 months with no problems. I think the jugs may be UV sesnitive and will degrade faster in light, especially sunlight. Mine were stored in a dark room and were OK. Also, old milk jugs aren't too sturdy so don't store them where they can get hit or banged around. A gallon of old oil all over the floor is not a fun thing. BTDT.

Rander
'85 F250

Old 08-02-2004, 04:48 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rander i'll take it up another notch, skunky old motorcycle gas in a milk jug for over a year. I forgot it in the storage shed, wow what a smell and it's hard to dispose of also.
.................................................. .......................................o&o>....... ..............

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........