Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 07:20 PM
jjblack
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs_big_ford_f150
I wasn't trying to call you a liar. That was not my intention. I apologize to you for that. I was just stating that I have never seen any access to a black or gray water tank that resembled a gas tank filler. I apologize again, I didn't mean to sound as if I were calling you a liar. I hope this clears it up.

It's inconcievable that some one whould not know what the gas cap looks or feels like in the dark, However they are out there. A local radio station had a didy on this same thing happening in califorina in the last couple of months. Not all thiefs (and non thiefs ) are intelligent.

Had a boss who wife gased up his craftsman hydostatic rider lawnmower, Filled the oil resiovor instead. then mowed the yard (it wasn't out of gas yet) Costly!!!

Have a coworker that changed his oil in his car, Drained the tranmission, added 5 quarts of motor oil. Did't bother checking the dipstick, and wondered why the tranmission didn't work anymore.

I have found that Genious has it's limits. Stupidiy knows no bounds. And sometimes the two can;t be told apart.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Stump Man
Freshman User
I took the gaurd off my four inch grinder so I could put a seven inch sanding disk 36 grit. I started to sand the bottem of a fiberslass tank. The disk split a big chunk flew 20ft and the grinder kicked off the tank grabed my shirt twisted it up and removed a large chunk of skin.

Old 09-26-2004, 09:21 PM
jbone108
Senior User
anything that starts with hold my beer and watch this is not a good idea most of the time!

Old 09-26-2004, 10:23 PM
AeroPA
Elder User
I was doing a few things to a used car I had just bought. The usual; plugs, wires, filters. The metal fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb crosses a couple of plug wires, so I decided to cut it and use rubber fuel hose, and put a glass cartridge filter in line, too.

Grabbed a hacksaw and started cutting. Engine was cold, figured I'd probably spill a little gas, but no biggie. As I got halfway through the steel line, the hacksaw made contact with the positive terminal on the battery, and sparked, since the other end was in the steel fuel line.

The sparks scared the crap outta me, but when it dawned on me that I had just created a big spark with gas leaking out of a half cut fuel line, I had to step back and collect myself. No harm done, but as we all know, it only takes an instant......................... Sure not proud of that one.

Old 09-27-2004, 01:34 PM
76 maverick
Senior User
I`m not trying to rub it in , but they make little tubing cutters for that (cheap too ~2 bux or so) and they won`t leave any metal shavings in the fuel line

Old 09-27-2004, 01:53 PM
88blkranger
Senior User
finally after 2 days of gut wrenching laughter. chuckle chuckle. i come to the end. while i really do feel sorry, it's also the way you guys are typing these stories. i have to add a cpl myself.

i had a 86 full size bronco (nightmare) did an oil change on it everything went well till i started it up to full the filter. after shuting it down and going back around to check my dipsitck did i notice the whole right side of my mtr covered in oil. unsure of where the oil came from i restarted it and went to see where the oil came from. The stupid rubber seal had come off without me knowing. needless to say i jumped into the wife car and got another filter and more oil oh and some castrol super clean.

another one is when drilling a hole into a small peice of metal don't think that you can just hold it with your hand. a 2x3 piece of aluminum that has been siezed by the drill bit makes for a nice saw like apperatice.

now here's a DO. when emptying a fuel tank i use my tire pump and attach some hose to either the vent or fuel return line. put gas cap on and remove fuel supply line and attach another hose to it out away from vehicle. i discovered this when i need to get fuel from my honda (Hold On Not Done Accelerating) for my courier. and it worked great. just pump it up a cpl times and regulate your flow.
oh and when sharpening something that you have in the vise. DO NOT PUSH the file. luckily i don't have a scar on my palm but man did that hurt.

Old 09-27-2004, 02:59 PM
weymouth
Senior User
Originally Posted by JOHNHENRYS48
>> ...immediatly the 8 inch bolt bent 90 degrees and now I had a 4 pound, 28000 RPM, out of balance monster trying twist my arms into a mobius strip.
Now that I have cramps from trying to suppress my laughter (so to not alert my co-workers that I'm goofing off, again), you really should be a comedic writer. Excellent description!

Last edited by weymouth; 09-27-2004 at 03:00 PM. Reason: reduction
Old 09-27-2004, 08:56 PM
rick90yj
Senior User
[QUOTE=88blkranger]finally after 2 days of gut wrenching laughter. chuckle chuckle. i come to the end. while i really do feel sorry, it's also the way you guys are typing these stories. i have to add a cpl myself.

another one is when drilling a hole into a small peice of metal don't think that you can just hold it with your hand. a 2x3 piece of aluminum that has been siezed by the drill bit makes for a nice saw like apperatice.

I did this one too. Only, I was drilling a hole in a 1"x1/8"x12" flat bar and stood on it...wearing sandals. Can you say propeller? As the bit broke through, it grabbed the bar and I now had a fast spinning, WAY out of balance propeller, and consequently, two broken toes.

Old 09-27-2004, 09:06 PM
Stump Man
Freshman User
A guy I use to work with was drilling a 3/4" hole in a 6" pipe that he was standing on. when the bit broke through it started the pipe spining knocking him to the ground and wraping the cord around his leg.

Old 09-28-2004, 10:03 AM
88blkranger
Senior User
Damm I just remembered a story my dad told me. His buddies had a small auto shot wher they did just about everything. Now this was in the 70's when i was just a wee lad. Anyway, they had this machine where you attached a steel ring to the auto's wheel with 3 screws. After attaching the ring the tires were spun to high rpms, and on this particular day the speed was about 65mph when the ring came loose............. Hit the deck!!! the tire was spining clockwise pointing toward the near wall when it came off, climbed the near wall, went across the ceiling (aprox 60ft), down the far wall and came to rest back at the car. Can you imagine coming into the shop to talk with the mechanics when this thing touched off and played ring around the rosie???

Old 09-29-2004, 05:04 PM
dogman
Elder User
Was showing my girl how to change oil in her car. She made a mess and I told her to clean it up. She did not do it. The next morning she walked out to get in her car and slipped in the oil that she did not clean up. Now she has 10 stiches, black eye and a broken nose. I told you so. I can't help but to laugh. She is ok.

Old 09-29-2004, 05:14 PM
fordbeast_80
Elder User
Yeah that is kinda funny, I hope her nose heals straight.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:17 PM
pchristman
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by theonlybull
don't cut off steel plate directly over you hoses... saw a 2' x 4' peice of hot 1/2" plate drop 5 feet and cut off both oxy/act hoses.... talk about a little show...
That's 163 pounds.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:04 AM
lavion
New User
One of the key items is organization.
Keep all flamables together out of the garage, or in a blocked off section.
Keep tools stored in one general location with parts and resources in another.
Put tools and products away after the day is done, even when exhausted,(this makes for good accountability and beginning efficiently the next day).
Store chemicals immediately after use, don't wait.

Old 10-06-2004, 06:53 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 88blkranger
Damm I just remembered a story my dad told me. His buddies had a small auto shot wher they did just about everything. Now this was in the 70's when i was just a wee lad. Anyway, they had this machine where you attached a steel ring to the auto's wheel with 3 screws. After attaching the ring the tires were spun to high rpms, and on this particular day the speed was about 65mph when the ring came loose............. Hit the deck!!! the tire was spining clockwise pointing toward the near wall when it came off, climbed the near wall, went across the ceiling (aprox 60ft), down the far wall and came to rest back at the car. Can you imagine coming into the shop to talk with the mechanics when this thing touched off and played ring around the rosie???
Yep one of first jobs in a garage was to balance tires with one of these. You had to be real careful with how you put them on. Good thing they are no used anymore.

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........