Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:50 PM
ken522
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well there was that one time with a VW bus where I was wiring up a heater blower to push heat to the front. Needed a spot for the ground, and thought that just a small hole and a sheetmetal screw would do fine. Except the sheetmetal was the bottom of the tank, which of course was full. Fortunately, just gas coming out, no explosion from the electric drill, but a few gallons on the floor of an attached garage can keep you in the dog house for a long time

Old 08-27-2004, 06:43 PM
rick90yj
Senior User
Originally Posted by ken522
well there was that one time with a VW bus where I was wiring up a heater blower to push heat to the front. Needed a spot for the ground, and thought that just a small hole and a sheetmetal screw would do fine. Except the sheetmetal was the bottom of the tank, which of course was full. Fortunately, just gas coming out, no explosion from the electric drill, but a few gallons on the floor of an attached garage can keep you in the dog house for a long time
Good thing you didn't need two holes...

I had an engine fire in a VW bus...it got so hot in the engine compartment it blistered the paint on the licence plate hanging on the outside of the engine cover. Pulled the gas tank out (it sits above and in front of the engine, behind a bulkhead on later model buses) and the tank still had gas in it.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:32 AM
mcapri1984
Freshman User
Do not try to heat up timing cover bolts with a torch, while the fuel pump is laying 5 inches away.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:26 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One recommendation; one story. Although muriatic acid is a great concrete cleaner, DO NOT use it in the garage. Everything in there will rust solid! I know a guy that did that in his machine shop.

About a million years ago in HS shop class, we cut up an old Caddy that a guy wanted the engine out of. We scrapped the rest of it. We cut the whole thing up before anyone discovered the 1/2 full gas tank! Lucky class that day!

Old 09-16-2004, 11:55 AM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Well I have to say the worst thing I've ever done in my garage and never will do again is walk around in my socks. I actually ended up breaking my toe when i slid into the concrete riser of the doorway. Talk about painful.
-Chris

Old 09-16-2004, 12:51 PM
weymouth
Senior User
This is a do . . . treated lumber drops from decks or other outside projects are a pain because you can't burn them or toss them in the trash. So they just seem to collect in the various corners of your garage or shop. Take a few hours on a Saturday and make a set of what I call "body blocks". First I determined how far it was from my chest to the floor while on my creeper. Then I took all the sections of 2x12 & 2x8s that were laying around, cut them to equal lengths and nailed them together until the stacked height was the dimension I was looking for. Now whether the car is on stands or ramps, I slip a couple body blocks under the sub-frame and breathe a little easier while working. On a side note, the wife helped me determine how high to make the blocks. I think she volunteered just to catch me prone on the garage floor.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:23 PM
weymouth
Senior User
Originally Posted by Beemer Nut
While rejetting a Holley placing a damp gas rag in your back pocket, "wow will that red rash burn". My best tig welding stunt was placing the hot filler rod in the mouth. In the garage doing motor sounds while passing gas,.....oops farts have lumps?
Doing a brake job and bending forward on your chair with Brake Klean in your lap, "***** Clean".
I did the same thing but with carb cleaner. After the somewhat pleasant cooling effect, a slight irritation developed, then followed by several days of swelling and topped off with a week long world class case of the itchies. Complaining to the wife resulted in her two word reply, "bikini wax".

Old 09-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Never do a tractor hydraulic oil change where you expect to catch 14 gallons of oil by "speed shifting" between 5 gallon buckets.

Never move 5 gallon buckets full of hydraulic quickly from one place to another.

Never work with full containers of oil in a confined space (eg: under a tractor or truck).

Never assume that a little oil spill in a garage can be cleaned up with a couple of paper towels or a rag.

Lou Braun

Old 09-16-2004, 08:19 PM
ZRX61
Senior User
Originally Posted by Lou Braun
Never do a tractor hydraulic oil change where you expect to catch 14 gallons of oil by "speed shifting" between 5 gallon buckets.
I regularly do oil changes on P51's that hold about 15 gallons, but as it's 120w it doesn't exactly *flow* out of the drain hole. I can wander over to the 55gal waste oil drum & empty one 5gal bucket while the second is filling without too much bother
Trying to catch 20 gallons of coolant is another mater tho...

Old 09-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
Originally Posted by Lou Braun

Never move 5 gallon buckets full of hydraulic quickly from one place to another.

Never work with full containers of oil in a confined space (eg: under a tractor or truck).

Never assume that a little oil spill in a garage can be cleaned up with a couple of paper towels or a rag.

Lou Braun
want to try fun?? do the same thing only do it with diesel coming out of a 1-1/4" hole into 5 gal fuel cans except it was a full 65 gal tank.

oh yeah when doing the above make sure you have enough cans because putting the plug back in is near impossible.

all this was while working on an m981 all to change a fuel level sending unit.

Old 09-16-2004, 11:50 PM
spitfire51786
New User
White Gas and a match. Need I say more??

Old 09-17-2004, 12:15 PM
rick90yj
Senior User
Originally Posted by spitfire51786
White Gas and a match. Need I say more??
I'm gonna guess the screaming pretty much covered it...

Old 09-21-2004, 01:44 PM
Old Fart
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No matter how big of a hurry you're in, how hot it is, or how short the cut is, Mr Plasma Cutter and Mr Short Pants should never be introduced.

Cut a trrack bar bracket off of mt friends XJ - took all of 20 seconds (once things were hooked up).

Took him about 10 minutes to get all the molten slag out of my ankle

His daughter still remembers all the words I taught her.......

Old 09-21-2004, 01:55 PM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Fart
No matter how big of a hurry you're in, how hot it is, or how short the cut is, Mr Plasma Cutter and Mr Short Pants should never be introduced.

Cut a trrack bar bracket off of mt friends XJ - took all of 20 seconds (once things were hooked up).

Took him about 10 minutes to get all the molten slag out of my ankle

His daughter still remembers all the words I taught her.......
I wish I had a plasma cutter to worry about. I introducted Mr. Oxy/Act cutting torch to Mr. Low Cut shoes. Took about six weeks for the pain to go away. Dr. looked at the bottom of my foot and I asked why he did that. He said "I was looking to see if it burned all the way through". Big blob fell right in my shoe and I thought it was just a little thing. Now ten years later I still have a $.50 piece scar still on top of my foot.

Old 09-21-2004, 08:51 PM
hardcase72
Freshman User
Never set your CELL phone inside the engine compartment (especially on top of the FAN shroud) when changing spark plugs...... then start it up to see how it runs.

1,000,000 PIECES........ can you HEAR me NOW!

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........