Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 10:05 AM
Azguy54
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a accident in the common sense but costly nonetheless.

A freind of mine was a mechanic at the "motorpool" of a local sand and gravel outfit here in Tucson. He was servicing the CEO's vehicle as the guy was driving up to Phoenix that day. It was 110 + and the vehicle broke down in the middle of nowhere. turns out my buddy had left the drain plug off the differential and it lunched the rear end. Unfortunately this was NOT the end of the story. Right before he left work that day he was walking across the shyop and stepped on something, fell and broke his elbow. Guess what, IT WAS THE PLUG, HONEST TO GOD. Lost is job and broke his elbow.....................what a day huh!

Old 07-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Fritolay
Elder User
irony aint it great

Old 07-15-2004, 06:39 PM
drewcoolness99
Elder User
Originally Posted by Johnboy_BoomerSooner
None taken man, but how would you know to ask about something like that really? "Hey Bill, how many different ways can this machine kill or mangle me?" I got warned about the obvious stuff when I worked in the shop like no gloves, no long hair, no jewelry, the air hose thing... etc. But certain lessons I learned the hard way...

Watch the out for the chucks on a 3 or 4 jaw lathe... even though you cant see them when they're spinning, they are there... I had one catch the end of my file one time and jabbed it into my hand, good thing it had the handle on it or it would have been really bad.

When you stop a CNC machine during mid program, be sure your tool head is indexed back to where it was when you stopped it... otherwise it uses the cut off tool as a plunge cutter and stuff breaks.

I could go on all day... but you know, even with all the dangers, I loved working there.
our first day of autoshop the teacher showed us all the ways we could get hurt or die on the stuff out there. It made all of respect them. Especially the spring compressors.

Old 07-18-2004, 08:53 AM
blkbeast
Junior User
I've heard of this happening to more than one person including myself.
Never remove a driveshaft without first blocking the tires and/or setting the parking brake. Being run over by a coasting vehicle isn't fun.
mike

Old 07-18-2004, 12:20 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
thats a good idea, who knows how many i removed with no blocks, just used the parking brake, which really isn't enough to trust on any vehicle your crawling under.

Old 07-18-2004, 01:59 PM
"Beemer Nut"
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
blkbeast, been there done that. Ever wonder how fast you think when the truck starts to roll, you use wrenches or any lumpy item to jam under the wheel as the roll starts? As always the zerks will face up when ya lube the driveline and the slip yokes 180 out.
.................................................. .....................................o&o>......... ..............

Old 07-18-2004, 11:02 PM
89bII4x2
Senior User
ALWAYS block the wheeels when jacking a vehicle. whether or not your getting under it. An aquaintence of mine died when his Z71 fell off the jack when he was walking behind it pinning him between the tail-gate and the garage door.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:33 PM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
I recently started a post called "tips/tricks not in books", and while a lot of other posts apply (electric to remove rust, throttle body coolant lines, etc.) this is kind of what I meant by tips...I didn't realize how old this post was at first, IMHO, it should never be taken down.

And just to add--I don't think anyone in here needs to be reminded to do this, but maybe WHY would be helpful. ALWAYS wear goggles, preferably something that conforms to your face, and especially when looking up at something producing a lot of sparks/dust, etc. I recently was using regular glasses while cutting rusty exhaust out of my truck, and caught a piece in the eye, it only looked like a speck, and only felt like an eyelash right after you wake up.

Have you ever seen the tool they use to get imbedded particles out of your eye? They call it a probe...I call it a 6" long death poker...straight, needle-like point at the end. Ever had it done? I almost passed out and puked during the procedure, and the Doc claims he numbed my eye. When I went in for my check-up a week later, the other Doc took a look, and I joked with her saying, "no more poking right?"...she said, "no, no, Dr. so&so is so brutal when he does that, I use the drill and it's so much more efficient and quicker."

THE DRILL?!?!?!? I almost puked again, and stopped at the store to pick up face forming goggles on the way home.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:10 PM
faroffthetrack
Elder User
Wow, how's your eye doing now jd?

Old 07-19-2004, 08:45 PM
jdmorg
Posting Guru
it was fine just a few days after they removed the junk. It was only a little speck, and it bothered for a bit after (they said it would because it was a hole now) and it healed up real quick with eyedrop antibiotics. None of it really hurt, except for the removal. For the record, the Doc knew it was rusty metal without me telling him...if you're gonna get something in your eye, you may as well go for the gold, none of this wuss eyelash crap.

it's doing very well now faroff, thank you for asking

Old 07-20-2004, 10:56 AM
Soundguy267
New User
JDMORG I feel your pain! I have also had an eye injury, although mine has never quite healed. I still use cream every night to prevent it from tearing open when I open my eyes in the morning. We even tried a contact lens for a month at a time and it would still cause me problems within a few days of taking out the lens.
The funny thing about this, I always wear safety glasses and hearing protection. My injury was from crawling under a desk and falling into a keyboard tray.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:21 PM
evilbeast
Elder User
sory to hear that, and thanks for the heads up on the pain aspect of it, i wear gogles now, but i think i am gonna start duck tapin em to my head!!!

Old 07-20-2004, 01:04 PM
blkbeast
Junior User
i got a piece of metal in my eye while die grinding and it was right in the area where the eyelids meet so it didn't really bother me and didn't realize it was in there. then about a month or so afterwards it really started bothering me and had to go to the doc. he dug around a little and then used a little drill with like a real fine brush on the end. never really hurt. just had blurry watery eye for a couple days.

Old 07-22-2004, 04:02 PM
GoinFishin
Freshman User
Wink

There is no replacement for safety glasses, but a bottle of eye wash in the garage is worth the $5, even just for blowing dust, etc.

Old 07-28-2004, 05:08 PM
kinggargantuan
Junior User
don't pull the hood release in your truck to let the engine cool off as you pull into the driveway, and then forget to work on your truck and close the hood all the way.... and then drive down the road at 45mph and remember too late what you forgot to do the night before as your hood is flying open and smashing your windshield.

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........