Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 08:55 PM
furbis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did not see anyone mention don't weld next to a charging battery, me and dad came around the corner of the shop to see our truckdriver whith his head underneath the water hydrant because he was welding 12" away from a charging battery, thankfully he was not hurt the welding hood protected his head and face.

something else I recently learned was don't agree to let the former house cat take up residence in your shop you will have cat hair all over everything.

also if you are going to back your johndeere "B" into your shop that has sliding doors make sure you open them far enough to clear the axel that is sticking out past the tire you can't see over.

when trying to seat the bead on a large tubeless sprinkler tire don't use to much either it will bounce it 3 to 4 feet off the floor and might damage something or someone.

Old 08-30-2003, 02:39 PM
povphile
New User

Always use a second support. Put and extra jackstand uner the crossmember. Do not rely on the hold properties advertised.

Wear Safety Glasses or shields. I have two boys, 5 and 7. They have their own Glasses with their names on them that thy put on whenever I am in the shop.

Dont attemp to change the iol filter on a 80's era or mazda with out welding gloves. They put the oil filter above the Cat Converter.

Old 08-30-2003, 10:33 PM
craterjoe
Senior User

[

Wear Safety Glasses or shields. I have two boys, 5 and 7. They have their own Glasses with their names on them that thy put on whenever I am in the shop.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
of course they do this while they are still in the house watching Toon Disney.........

Old 09-01-2003, 08:42 PM
schriffs
New User

Don't lift the back of the truck with a floor jack when the front is up on ramps, my buddy was hurting for weeks after it rolled down the ramps and pinned him against the door. luckily he managed to wiggle himself out, but the door has a nice bend in it. With that in mind, try to have your friend, spouse, whoever, check on you every so often when working alone, particularly when welding, working under stuff, operating any equipment.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:39 PM
crosswind
New User

never refill your crankcase with oil until you are sure you replaced the drain plug..........especially when your inside your garage.........

Old 09-04-2003, 06:41 PM
muscletruck7379
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by crosswind
never refill your crankcase with oil until you are sure you replaced the drain plug..........especially when your inside your garage.........
been there, done that, hope It never happens again.(but everyone knows it will)makes you kinda wonder why theres nothing on the dipstick!

Old 09-17-2003, 12:32 PM
will-work -for-mud
Senior User

make sure all doors on vehicle are closed before backing out of the garage.

make sure garage door is up before backing out.

either of these is very expensive.

also never put a swivel socket on a 1/2 inch drive impact gun a pull the trigger to make sure its goin the right way. could shatter a windshield.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:51 PM
will-work -for-mud
Senior User

oh yea by the way...when welding on a vehicle remember to take the negative off the battery post. also when welding remember to place the negative clamp near where u are welding. my buddy pu his on the front bumper when he was welding toward the back of the truck. the electricity moved through the engine and spot welded the crank in place. also very expensive.

Old 09-18-2003, 05:38 PM
Bronco 81
Freshman User

laquer thiner === lighter fluid............

DEFINATELY A NO...NO

Old 09-19-2003, 01:13 PM
ZRX61
Senior User

Originally posted by Bronco 81
laquer thiner === lighter fluid............

DEFINATELY A NO...NO
However.. 100LL AvGas is a YES...YES

Old 09-19-2003, 02:30 PM
RockyMtnF250
Senior User

Do not think that several 5 gallon buckets of used motor oil are going to hold down the tarps that enclose your carport! Zoning cops told my buddy that if they could not see his un-licensed 67 Newport from the alley that it would be OK. Park the non-running Newport, hang tarps, place buckets of motor oil on bottom of tarps to hold them down. OK until............
Big wind/rain storm hits Colorado Springs, tarps become very effective sails and overturn buckets, yeah sounds like a mess but wait. The unfettered tarps are blowing in the wind, slapping the concrete and lapping up the oil, at the end of the excursion of the tarp blowing in the wind the tarp lets loose the oil and covers every thing for 20 feet, including the car. Then it starts raining cats and dogs! No oil dry to be had. Of course the car is under the carport so the rain is not going to help wash off the oil. Days and days to cleanup this environmental disaster. Laughed until I cried as he was on the phone explaining this while it was happening. Now when he makes a mess I call him Captain Hazelwood of the Exxon Valdez.

Old 09-20-2003, 01:25 AM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He should be happy he didn't get in trouble for all that spilled oil!

If you're going to have a circuit breaker go off in the garage because you have too many things plugged in, make sure you used a quality electricial to do your wiring. My friend had that problem in his garage -- turns out during a renovation, the junction box leading to the garage was buried in a wall/ceiling somewhere. The surge of electricity apparently caused a brown-out in the junction box (probably bad connection, arcing, who knows...) rather than tripping the breaker. We never did find where that junction got buried, and had to call in a favor from an electrician friend to bring a new power source into the garage from the panel, and disconnect the prior one. What a PITA that was! Troubleshooting, metering every outlet junction we could find, and in the end snaking in a new line. Just because a foolish contractor buried a junction box with drywall rather than put a cover on it. I could strangle that man.

Old 09-20-2003, 02:34 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

That is definitely a NO NO, and against the electrical code -hehe

I am surprised the Electrician couldn't just trace the wire with one of those RF wire tracking setups.

Old 10-10-2003, 07:44 PM
Bargod
Posting Guru
*bumps thread

Sorry but I love this thread, I couldn't stand to let it disappear.

Old 10-11-2003, 01:21 PM
8lugnutz
New User
OK. It's been said already, but It bears repeating.

I have this problem. My step-son is constantly taking things apart "just because". Well his latest adventure was taking apart his brother's Yamaha motorcycle, and stripping out 3 bolts while putting it back together. I used a Dremel tool cut-off wheel to cut the bolts off, getting a piece of the wheel embedded in my cornea I knew I had something in my eye, but thought it was an eyelash. Five days of aggravation, 4 trips to the optometrist, 2 days of missed work, and $85 could have been prevented by a $5.99 pair of safety goggles, which my wife bought and ever so conspicuously placed on my workbench with a 3' x 5' sign that says "YOU HAVE TO *WEAR* THEM HONEY!"

so......

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear safety glasses.....even if you hate them!

BTW, the boys don't take things apart for no reason anymore!

Last edited by IB Tim; 10-13-2007 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Things Not to Do In Your Garage...........