2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 01:10 PM
Pugga
Fleet Mechanic
Received 442 Likes on 297 Posts
I'm not brand loyal at all, I honestly believe each manufacturer has their pros and cons and would generally own any of the offerings of the big 3, even considered the Titan XD diesel but ultimately ruled it out because of reliability concerns. I bought an F250 gas but could honestly get by with a F150 HDPP with max tow but they proved to be hard to find and you end up paying a lot of money adding towing crap to a half ton to make it viable for a tow vehicle. I figured out pretty quick that, even though a 3/4 ton was overkill for me, they pretty much all came with everything I needed to tow. Now that I'm looking at 3/4 tons, I wasn't a huge fan of Chevy's 6.0 gas, it's tried and true but it was the dog of the group from an engine perspective. It did ride nice but ultimately ended up being significantly more money than the Ram and Fords, at least around here. I didn't like the Ram 6.4 because of the MDS system after doing my research. I could have gone with the 5.7 but I felt the Ram overall felt more cheaply built than the Ford but I was still considering the Ram. The final decision to go with Ford was the cabin. In my opinion, the flat floor in the Ford is awesome and the seats and driving position were very comfortable for me. Lastly, the aesthetic of the 2017-2019 Super Duty is the best looking of the group, again in my opinion..

Old 04-10-2020, 01:56 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 435 Likes on 243 Posts
The OP is a joke/ troll. Go waste someone else's time.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:18 PM
KeystoneF350
Tuned
Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamoon78
My crew cab has rear vents and it wasnt no 100k truck.
I suspect you have the center console configuration. If you get the front bench configuration, there are no rear HVAC vents since they would reside in the back of the center console.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:25 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60
You've given us nothing but cab configuration and that it's a srw. Not nearly enough information about what you use the truck for.

It takes work to know what truck is best for you.

So before I take my time to help you, you need to give me more info.
I will be using it to pull a new 5th wheel, The 5th I plan to purchase is 41' 8", GVRW 15,500 lbs, hitch weight 2384 lbs (several trips per year) but also using it for a daily driver during the bad weather months. If it was only for travel I would get the dually, but I park at several hospitals/day and I don't feel like I should be taking up 2 parking spots when I am there. If any other information would help you help me, please let me know.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:27 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Lamoon78
Honestly if your pulling anything heavy do yourself a favor and get the Ford. I ran Dodge/ Cummins for ever until a buddy of mine talked me into trying out a 6.7 Powerstroke they literally pull like nothing is back there. Dont get me wrong the Dodge pulls but nothing like these Powerstrokes. I have always been a Ford guy except the diesels until my first 6.7 Powerstroke back in 2012.
Converts are a major testament. Appreciated.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:30 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Originally Posted by KCJackson1
I've owned both in the past, although as you can see in my sig, the Rams were significantly longer in my possession. I will consider not only Ford and Ram, but also Chevy/GMC fgor my next truck. I actually write comparison lists between the makes, and I'll highlight what's in my current comparison as far as Ford and Ram. Some of what are positives to me won't apply since you're going to a much higher trim level, so I will remove those criteria.

Ford:
- more power, both gas (7.3) and diesel
- newer body design (MY2017)
- flat rear floor
- standard 48 gallon tank on CCLB
- 10-speed transmission
- more front and rear legroom
- more fuel-economic axle ratios available
- better taillight configuration (larger lights of each type)
- full-cushion rear seat (no center cut like Ram)
- better front-door visibility
- longest available service contract at 8y/150K miles

Ram:
- significantly better turning radius
- 7 inches shorter, easier to park
- optional 50 gallon tank for CCLB
- total of 10 gauges in dash cluster, 6 are driver-configurable
- Cummins reliability if you go diesel
- available 12-inch screen (if tech is your thing)
- UConnect generally rated better than SYNC

The rest is all going to be subjective. Ford is more squared and upright, Ram has a bit more rounded design. My eye may like some paint colors better than yours. My back/butt/thighs may like one driver's seat better than yours. And in those high trim levels, both trucks will have the top tech and safety features.
Appreciate the comparison. This is exactly my issue, I want the best of both!

Old 04-10-2020, 02:32 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
The aluminum is a huge + in my mind as well

Old 04-10-2020, 02:36 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
This is my biggest issue with Ram, I worry about reliability. Nothing like being on the other side of the country with your family and breaking down. Love the Ram interior and tech, but this comment pushes me toward Ford as it seems there are more stories like this about Ram than Ford.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:36 PM
Under-Pressure
Tuned
Received 196 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by DSLTRK60
The OP is a joke/ troll. Go waste someone else's time.
I looked over all the OP’s posts & a bit confused?? If your not a flag waiver your a troll?

Old 04-10-2020, 02:38 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Originally Posted by longhaultransport
The mirrors.

Ford

Dodge

Lot's of other reasons, but the mirrors on Dodge....
Great info. I need to see when pulling a 5th wheel. Nice dually BTW.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:43 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto
I owned 4 GM trucks over ~25yrs. Two 1/2T & two 3/4T Duramax - all were short beds and all were relatively trouble free. My brother is still driving my 2004.5 Chev 2500HD LT with ~250K and no issues - that was a great truck, before DEF and 22mph on freeway. I started towing a 5er with the 15 2500HD Denali. Besides being slightly over payload... there were some things that just bugged me on that truck - among others: **** poor headlamps (couldn't see if raining in dark); poor towing mirrors (big blind spots), no HVAC to rear seats; blew hot air on knees of person in backseat if front seat cooling was turned on; no "grown up" headrests in back seat; uncomfortable front seats; etc. Decided to go with a 1T and check out all 3 with test drives, etc and all in upper trim levels.
  • With the 3500HD Denali I had plenty of positive experience with the Duramax/Allison combo, but GM hadn't fixed any of my issues/gripes in the 2017's (although a few are now fixed in the 20's).
  • The Ram Limited and Longhorn I looked at seemed like it was missing some fit and finish things - seat stitching and honestly just have never been a fan of the Ram styling, but found the backseat comfortable. The ride seemed a bit rough. While I wanted a good infotainment system... the Ram seemed too reliant on the screen which to me was a distraction (even more so with their huge screens in the new trucks). Have a good friend with a RAM, and a couple of coworkers with Rams and none have been as trouble free as me GM's have been.
  • The F350 Platinum seemed like it had everything I wanted fixed in the GM.. Very comfortable seating, huge room behind the seats for the baby seats (no need to move the front seats up like I had to do in the GMC). The 360 camera system was plain awesome and a game-changer for hooking up a 5er and a trailer. No question the solid front axle was a bit rougher ride than GMC's IFS, but not by much. The infotainment system seemed very user-friendly, the front cup-holder system was spot-on brilliant and loved the upfitter switches. I had some reservations about the Powerstroke before purchase, but more than proved itself after purchase. I put 30K on the 2017, with some decent grades towing the 5er and was an awesome truck.
I quickly realized I needed to "grow up" and should have listened to everyone who told me to get a long-bed. We wanted the next truck to be future-proof for a 5er upgrade... and didn't look around this time. Drove an F450 and placed my order shortly thereafter on a 2019 F450 Platinum. It is a beast of a truck, but love driving it as a DD as well.

Enjoy whichever you decide!
This is a very thoughtful and appreciated comment. your "grow up" comment really hits home. I love the look of the RAM inside on the Limited, and have a hard time not wanting that, but a truck is a tool too, and when doing big work (pulling a larger 5th wheel), a great tool is better than a pretty tool.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:46 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 06KingRanch
I had about 6 gasser pickups, 1 dodge, 2 chevs, and 2 Fords
Then went to Diesels to pull trailers for recreation and work.
Diesels I've had:
2008 F350 Lariat
2012 F350 King Ranch
2015 F350 King Ranch
Currently have a 2020 F350 Lariat, which is by far the best truck I've ever owned. It is leaps and bounds above my 2015....it amazes me every time i drive it.
The 10 speed transmission is unbelievable!
I'm self employed and work in the oilfield; and mine is a work truck that I rely on to make money.
I'd estimate that 90% of the pickups in the oilfield are Fords.
All the big companies have all Fords. As in the long run they cost the company the least in maintenance; and down time.
We use them in the heat of summer to -40 C in the winter.....24hrs a day......for months on end.
They are the cheapest to maintain, and hold their value!!
You won't be disappointed.
ANother very convincing post. Hard to argue this. I am only on page 1 of these comments and Ram is quickly disappearing in the rear view mirror.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:51 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Yeah, I understand and apologize. I like them both for different reasons, and hoped that owners could point out those subtle things that a test drive or even early ownership would not make obvious.

Old 04-10-2020, 02:54 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
I have 3 kids +wife, so this is a very important point. Thank you. I would have never noted this on a test drive.

Old 04-10-2020, 03:04 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
I wan't aware the ram was built in Mexico. Not a fan of that at all.

Quick Reply: Why Ford