2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 11:11 PM
Ding126
Fleet Mechanic
Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts
Why not Ford? I think if you get a Ram you will regret it. But everything is subjective.You are the ultimate decision maker. I own a GMC and a Super Duty...Ford is my favorite for many reasons mentioned above.....I myself almost purchased a 2020 3500 Laramie with the HO diesel and trans but the 2019 didn't have good reviews. I didn't like the interior...and the mirrors always make me laugh when I see one on the road.

All manufactures have their issues,,but Ford Super Duty looks classy IMO

Old 04-09-2020, 11:44 PM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 767 Likes on 404 Posts
I was a lifelong Chevy owner until a couple weeks ago when I took possession of my 2020 F350. The fit and finish and looks of the Ford is great. The new Chevy HD’s are ugly on the outside and cheap on the inside.

The Dodge truck appears to have a fancy interior at first glance but the huge screen is not for me. I also don’t want a truck that will turn into a rust bucket in a few years. Add to that the lack of a 10 speed trans. And the ugly mirrors...

Old 04-10-2020, 12:18 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 439 Likes on 249 Posts
OP,
Go onto a Dodge forum and post the same question and see what type of responses you receive. Not sure many here will try and talk you out of a Ford but it would be nice to see comments from the other forum to compare. I grew up with Fords and when it comes to trucks, I have only owned Ford trucks so I am not the one to ask. Either way, I am sure you will be happy and it might come down to which truck you think looks better.

On a side note, the Dodge mirrors fold over but most drive around with them extended so the mirrors line up but they don't look bad if you fold it over.

Old 04-10-2020, 05:00 AM
Andy_george
Tuned
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Ford has always had round wheel wells. GM and Ram have always used a squared off wheel well.

Isn't that reason enough to go Blue Oval!?!?

Old 04-10-2020, 05:50 AM
ejb69
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
I switched to ford in 2016 because I noticed ram / dodge trucks with rust holes in them by the time they were 5 or 6 years old. Also my employer had a mix of ram, Chevy and ford trucks. The Rams seemed to need repair more than the other 2 brands. And too top it off the rams are made south of the border. My 2020 F350 was made in Kentucky by union workers. It’s important to me to keep as much work here in the USA as we can.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:13 AM
Chimpo
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JVburg
I tried a RAM experiment on a 2014 3500 SRW with a Cummins. It pulled my trailer fine, and I loved the sound of the Cummins and exhaust brake, but I had extremely bad luck with it. I think I had something like 13 recalls, radiator shroud sucked into the fan while towing, cab seals replaced 3 separate times, a persistent and ever-changing oil leak, extremely annoying heater box squeak, EGR issues... All with under 42k miles when I sold it. I now Have a 2018 F350 6.7 that is SOLID! Not a single issue so far, and three minor recalls. Knock on wood!
That's why I'll never own a Dodge product again. They nickel and dime you to death with relatively minor issues. My last Dodge was a Durango. The dash cluster went out, intermittent rough idle the dealer could never reproduce, each window regulator went out once, and on the second time I caulked the rear window shut, etc. I had a Dakota that had a rubber boot around an axle u-joint that would frequently shred on the interstate and smack the bed at 70 MPH.... None of them left me on the side of the road, but they all drove me to madness.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:01 AM
bobv60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Ford GM and Ram all make great trucks, you really cant go wrong with any of them.
I had Rams for about 20 years and they treated me well and liked all three that I owned, a 97, 06 and 11.
I still am a member of some Ram forums.
There is a lot of blind loyalty with some people recalls of recalls of recalls of front stearing components.
lots of electrical issues with the TIPM.
The common rail engines where not as reliable is the earlier ones, and the first 24 valve lift pump and VP44 problems.
The 4 speed automatic made s lot of transmission builders a lot of money.
so Ram is NOT perfact.
Nither Nither or GM.
I switched to ford and really thought the truck itself is better built and more heavy duty.
the outside tow mirrors are way better and power folding and extending.
But the thing is it is your money and your truck, drive them all, get an idea what you can really pay for one, weight out all the + and -.
My opinion is this, the Ram is the cheapest, the GM the best empty ride, and ford, the most options, and can be the most money.
I will bet that no matter what. You will be happy with anything you buy.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:10 AM
Lamoon78
Laughing Gas
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by jollyrogr
And the Dodge guys always have them stuck way out.
They dont extend out all they do is flip ip.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:13 AM
Lamoon78
Laughing Gas
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Coghlin
I prefer GMC. I miss my duramaxes and the IFS. The solid front axle is annoying when turning in 4wd and trying to pull a trailer in the field. Front tire wear is also poor on the Ford.

I have had all brands and use my trucks to their full capacity. I put 50-60k miles per year and keep my trucks till they have about 300k on them.

I went Ford this time because of price, aluminum body and the F-450 package. I felt the front end of F-450 was built heavier and wouldn't wear out as quick. That isn't a consideration for you though. The Ram and Ford were about the same money. GM was way more when I bought my 2019 and their specs were lacking, that has changed now though. If you live in a salt area like me I am hoping the aluminum body helps rusting issues. My Ram was rusting through the paint on the fenders in 3 years. The wiring also had multiple rotted out spots and needed replaced after two years in the rear marker lights and license plate lamps.

If you get 6 passenger seating be aware there is no A/C vents in the back seat. We have to drive with the windows down a bit when it is hot out or it gets too hot in the back seat for the kids. I owned the truck for almost 6 months before I realized this. The kids are literally sweating when we are comfortable in the front. Major oversight on Ford's part on a $100k truck. For the most part the truck works good and I am happy with my purchase. Tire wear on the front outside edges is a bit excessive.
My crew cab has rear vents and it wasnt no 100k truck.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:34 AM
jbjones85
Senior User
I cross-shopped the F250 Lariat/Platinum and the ram 2500 Laramie with 6.5' bed last year when I was looking. This was both my first fill size truck (had a tacoma in the past) as well as my first diesel. I did a ton of online research and each group has their fanboys who think the other brand is garbage but at the end of the day they are both nice trucks. I think it really comes down to personal preference, style bias, and what you are ultimately looking for. after looking at a few in person, a couple of test drives, and about 1043958323 you tube videos and reviews I decided on the F250 Platinum. The deciding factors for me are listed below:

The build quality on the Ford seemed to be better overall.
The Trans in the Ford is much more robust than the ram (unless going 3500 HO).
I know most people really like it but I do not really like the look of the ram interior in person and preferred the style/layout on the Ford.
In-cab comfort, while driving in the Ford was better (to me) less NHV from the engine/drivetrain.
Overall exterior styling on the Ford I liked better.
I do plan to tune at some point in the future and the 6.7 + trans combo seems to be much more robust on that front so tune only gets you close to 600 vs having to spend a lot of $$ on trans upgrades on the ram.

I hope that was helpful.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:39 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by doc7string
OK everyone, I have read a lot and asked a few questions, now I am getting close to handing my hard earned $ to a car dealer (well, when the dealers open their doors up again that is). I like both the F350 (likely King Ranch but possibly Limited) and the Ram Limited. My truck will be a long bed, crew cab, SRW. There are things that I favor about each making my decision difficult. Please tell me why I should choose the Ford (or the Ram if that is how you feel). Bias in your answers is fine, but please thoughtful comments only. "The other brand sucks" type comments are of no help. They are both nice trucks, I simply want to know why you chose Ford. Also if there are any "I couldn't live without it" options that you want to mention, tell me about them! Thank you for helping me make my decision.
Hard core Chevy-GMC! Chevy DOMINATED in the largest truck market in the US for years. We only had Chevy for ranch trucks and the only folks I knew that had Fix Or Repair Daily was what we called sharecroppers. FYI 2nd to Chevy truck on ranches and farms was Studebakers.

I think you are getting the drift, RIGHT?

I leave the ranch in '67 looking for a better way and with wild Oats to sow I traveled the world, then it was time to come home to my roots in S Tx and I knew I needed a truck and it needed to be a 350XX. But life and education had made me an engineer, I retired and in 2010 I went looking for a truck. Knowing times had changed since my hay hauling days and being a good engineer I looked at Chevy-GMC, RAM and yea Ford too.

First stop was at one of the largest Chevy truck dealers in the US, Grapevine Tx lays claim to that:

Sir, looking for a HD truck, 3500 series with a interior that can compete with the Ford offering King Ranch.

Sorry we really don't an interior at that level, but we do have some nice ones and we can order you a 3500, but almost all our 3500 sales come on the fleet side of the house, suggest you go over there and see Mr Fleetman (I did, had a bunch of White trucks mostly aimed at the trades and contractors)

Dodge Ram:
Found a dually there and several others in the 3500 range, impressed with the Big "C" diesel, but the truck overall not so much, still a contender, the dually was painted silver and looked good. Wife and I then drove it. Noisy, loud, rough, coarse truck and those Micky Mouse ear mirrors I hated, could we make the truck look any more stupid.

LAST STOP Ford! Maybe be then my expectations were so low, Ford could have showed me anything, But what they had and I did not have time to order was a F 350 CC, LB Lariat Ultimate in a shade of maroon, good looking, good interior and wife liked it...and I bought my first Ford, other than a tractor, in my life. It was not just a good truck or a truck that was a bit better or nicer than the other offerings, it was a GREAT truck that far exceeded even my expectations and those of my engineer wife.

You can my history with Ford in my Sig line below, that represents over 170,000 mi of driving along with only about 5 warranty issues in 10 years...NOT counting the almost 3 weeks my current '20 F 450 has been sitting at the dealer waiting on a part from Detroit to get here, Chaos 19 has affected everything!

In all of this I have but one regret: IF I had know then (2010) what I know now, my first truck would have been a F 450 and as a result my current '20 F 450 would have most likely been my 3 truck and not my 6 th! If you have a requirement to haul or tow heavy and use your truck for working on your place then step up to a F 450 and stop building F 350's after you have bought it.

When you are driving a F 450, you really are King of the Road.

limited interior is NOT for the working man, sure is nice, but those white seats show grease and dirt and mud, I passed, love my King Ranch!

Old 04-10-2020, 07:51 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 550 Likes on 308 Posts
Originally Posted by 67L48
Definitely not. Corporate culture matters. Parent company ownership matters. It’s been over a decade since the split. It’s not just a badge and it’s not just ornamental. The split was made so that the companies could diverge without affecting one another. It’s a different company with a different culture. For good or for bad, I don’t know. But there is no Dodge truck anymore.
Yeah, Fiat is a big step up . . . . .

Different owner, same issues . . . .

Old 04-10-2020, 08:33 AM
2020Tremor
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Before recently ordering my Ford looked at all the big 3 and here was my take.

Ram, seems to have the best interior if you are in to the high tech gadgets. Had lots of soft touch finishes and the ones I looked at had much better fit and finish than the Ford interiors I looked at. Only time will tell on how well they hold up. Fit and finish on the exterior In my opinion was much much better than my previous Chrysler products. The bar was set low with my last 2013 Grand Cherokee. Pricing on a mid level equipped RAM was cheaper than a similar equipped Ford due to better incentives. Have a friend that owns a 2019 3500 Diesels CCLB SRW and in my opinion one of the roughest ridding trucks when not loaded heavy. If you are in to the outdoors thing and will be using it to tow a trailer somewhere, it will ride fine getting there loaded. When unhooked from the load taking it up the 2 track trails it will beat the tar out of you. I personally don’t mind the styling on the RAM but not in love with it. Also for me the way the windshield slopes back on the Ram makes it awkward to get in and out of the front seats with out hitting my head. Friend doesn’t have a problem getting in and out of the Ram but is not as tall as I am. He is buying a separate truck for hunting and only using the RAM 3500 for heavy towing due to the terrible off-road ride.

Ford, interior feels a little dated and not the best fit an finish in my opinion, lots of hard plastic. For me I don’t mind the dash layout reminds me of my old Raptor which I loved. With being a little more old school dash layout it is easier for my wife to use as well since she is familiar with it from the Raptor. Growing trailer loads forced me to give the Raptor up to get into heavier duty towing rig segment. Exterior wise the truck from Ford and Ram seemed to have similar fit and finish not perfect but both pretty decent. Getting in and out of the front seats Ford feels much more natural for me. In my opinion the empty ride on the Ford F-350 is way way better from test driving, and yes took them down some good dirt trails for comparison.

In my opinion both trucks will have there quirks and either could have issues. They both seemed to be nice trucks. My current fully loaded towing weight is approaching 350/3500 weight, the better empty Ride in the Ford 350 scored big points. Especially since I only tow about 50% of the time. Ultimately for my use the Ford F-350 7.3l Tremor package is a better fit than what Ram is offering at the moment.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:38 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,787 Likes on 1,695 Posts
Strange................One can go to a GM forum and read the same things, almost verbatim, then go to a Ram/Cummins forum, same thing, deja vu all over again.

I used to drive XXX all the time until I tried a YYY.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:51 AM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Solid front axle
proven engine/transmission.

GM runs IFS, F-C considers transmissions as wear items. That leaves Ford.

Quick Reply: Why Ford