2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 09:09 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,848 Likes on 1,382 Posts
My requirements are always a solid axle and a manual t-case. Ram and Ford are the only options. I had 3 Dodges. An '06, '07, and a '16. The 06 and 07 were great...the '16 was not. Emissions issues in the first year, atrocious torque management and a dead pedal that made driving it a huge PITA, and dangerous at times!

My Ford is a better driving truck, but I'm still not sold on the aluminum body. I'd rather have steel.

All three brands have their pluses and minuses...you just have to pick and choose which ones you can live with.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:10 AM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 369 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by 99150
Strange................One can go to a GM forum and read the same things, almost verbatim, then go to a Ram/Cummins forum, same thing, deja vu all over again.

I used to drive XXX all the time until I tried a YYY.
you dont even have to go to other forums . just right here some are saying ford interior is best and others say ram is best. these type of threads and the people that start them are a joke

Old 04-10-2020, 10:17 AM
redford
Received 1,631 Likes on 955 Posts
Go watch the TFL Truck videos on YouTube. They do a pretty fair job of testing and reviewing pickups, probably about as unbiased as you're going to get anyway.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:36 AM
CBEllis
Laughing Gas
Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
Go watch the TFL Truck videos on YouTube. They do a pretty fair job of testing and reviewing pickups, probably about as unbiased as you're going to get anyway.
That’s the best advice ^^ aside from spending time in the seat.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:41 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,787 Likes on 1,695 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
you dont even have to go to other forums . just right here some are saying ford interior is best and others say ram is best. these type of threads and the people that start them are a joke
*ALMOST* as much fun as a gas vs diesel thread!!!!! LOL But not quite!

But, with that being said, I think this forum has the BEST bunch for people on it!!!

Old 04-10-2020, 10:42 AM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My neighbor did some hotshotting with a Dodge 3500 DRW. That thing had nothing but problems. In less than a year he had cylinder head off, then complete engine out, then transmission rebuilt. Something in the front end went out as well as he had that whole thing apart. After watching that mess I would never buy one. Had a friend with 3500 SRW and also had a bunch of problem, rear end went bad, water pump way too soon, and other stuff I can no longer remember. Cummins is a great engine but it does no good wrapped in a Chrysler product.

Old 04-10-2020, 10:52 AM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 369 Likes on 225 Posts
at work we have one of the earlier 6.7 f550. oil pump went bad and destroyed entire engine. after engine was replaced, it just leaks oil every where now. upper oil pan maybe i dont know. but it looks like exxon valdez oil spill under the truck. interior rattles like a can of marbles. i refuse to even use the truck

Old 04-10-2020, 10:57 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,787 Likes on 1,695 Posts
Originally Posted by BroncoRN
My neighbor did some hotshotting with a Dodge 3500 DRW. That thing had nothing but problems. In less than a year he had cylinder head off, then complete engine out, then transmission rebuilt. Something in the front end went out as well as he had that whole thing apart. After watching that mess I would never buy one. Had a friend with 3500 SRW and also had a bunch of problem, rear end went bad, water pump way too soon, and other stuff I can no longer remember. Cummins is a great engine but it does no good wrapped in a Chrysler product.
And there is a gentleman over on the cummins forum that used to be here on FTE that transports new campers and RV’s that has north of 500,000 on his Ram and no major issues.
With my ‘15 F350 DRW King Ranch,, I had electronic issues from the second or third day of ownership. After one year of this, it went away. Identical ‘16 had no issues.
It is a crap shoot with ANY make.. All the electronics on modern vehicles can be a nightmare WHEN something malfunctions.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:24 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by FractureCritical
Solid front axle
proven engine/transmission.

GM runs IFS, F-C considers transmissions as wear items. That leaves Ford.
Ford IMO has the best engine and trans combo in the business and the 2020 model year took it to a whole 'nother level. The '20 engine and tans are truly state of the art, high bar for the 2 others that could not reach the bar before...

Old 04-10-2020, 11:42 AM
Mxsledder
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a 17 F-350 Platinum and now a 19 Ram limited HO. I am actually trying to sell my Ram to get a 20 Ford. My first mistake was ordering the rear factory air ride system. It rides like garbage and the short wheelbase of the CCSB only amplifies the issue. My other issue with the truck is the Aisin trans. It shifts extremely slow through the first three gears and also severely defuels through the first three gears. It is much more of a F650 type of extremely heavy duty trans than a sporty all around trans that most of us want in a truck.
The interior of the Ram is nicer than the Ford without question and the 12” screen is very nice. Both are well built trucks but right now Ford has the overall better package.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:50 AM
BrassCrack
New User
GM is due for an interior update for the 2020. RAM is due for some new transmission options for their Diesels. Only 2020+ RAM has blindspot that covers the trailer whereas Ford has had it for a while. GM has no adaptive cruise, no trailer coverage. Ford lets you get a Lariat with a bench seat and still have all the bells and whistles, while also having a carpet delete.

Things I do like about the other brands: RAM: rear air stock. If a 2019 works for you, they have 0/84 on the HD trucks. Can get adaptive cruise in any trim. GM: some of the trailer camera stuff is nice, but I run a separate monitor for my trailer so I can have nav up on the nav screen.

For my needs the most compelling thing right now are the fairly loaded Chevy 1500s that still have 1500-1700lbs of payload with the 3.0 Duramax. If TransferFlow or Titan comes out with an aftermarket tank that is bigger than the 22 Gallon pipette that GM sells, that could make for some long trips towing or unloaded.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:53 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 140 Likes on 97 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

RAM 12 screen: Very Nice

Ford King Ranch: Nicer even without the 12 in Screen.

My dealer had a brand-new RAM top of the line model with every option for the 3500 that was a trade in on a new F 350 Limited, the RAM was less than 3 weeks old and the guy did not like it. They were ready to deal on that RAM. They gave me the keys and yes interior was nice but I felt it was overdone and certainly no enough of anything in the specs or otherwise that would have taken me from Ford.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:35 PM
redford
Received 1,631 Likes on 955 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
at work we have one of the earlier 6.7 f550. oil pump went bad and destroyed entire engine. after engine was replaced, it just leaks oil every where now. upper oil pan maybe i dont know. but it looks like exxon valdez oil spill under the truck. interior rattles like a can of marbles. i refuse to even use the truck
Yes, but look at the bright side. The frame won't rust.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:44 PM
BrassCrack
New User
The Ram 12 inch screen was pretty glitchy, and didn't support the one feature that would make it worthwhile: see trailer camera and NAV at the same time.

Old 04-10-2020, 12:53 PM
Under-Pressure
Tuned
Received 196 Likes on 91 Posts
All the brands have pro’s & cons with the overpriced junk they are offering. My last purchase was based largely on after the sale customer service. It’s easy to compare brands when things are going right but what happens when things go bad? I’m a long time Cummins Dodge owner that has zero faith in that brand or local service at this point. 5 flawless EcoBoost Ford’s in a row for daily / family use got me to ditch the last ram for a new F-350. My local Ford dealer & it’s service dept have been great to deal with. Check out the service departments & drive around the parking lots looking for dead wood. Long term science projects behind the service bays is not a good sign. Verify they have diesel mechanics & are trained to fix what you intend to buy. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Why Ford