2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Why Ford

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 05:41 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Ford

OK everyone, I have read a lot and asked a few questions, now I am getting close to handing my hard earned $ to a car dealer (well, when the dealers open their doors up again that is). I like both the F350 (likely King Ranch but possibly Limited) and the Ram Limited. My truck will be a long bed, crew cab, SRW. There are things that I favor about each making my decision difficult. Please tell me why I should choose the Ford (or the Ram if that is how you feel). Bias in your answers is fine, but please thoughtful comments only. "The other brand sucks" type comments are of no help. They are both nice trucks, I simply want to know why you chose Ford. Also if there are any "I couldn't live without it" options that you want to mention, tell me about them! Thank you for helping me make my decision.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:50 PM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
So, like we have to submit an essay? Will you be grading on a curve?

Old 04-09-2020, 05:57 PM
doc7string
Freshman User
Originally Posted by C12H24
So, like we have to submit an essay? Will you be grading on a curve?
No curve you either suck at writing or not!

Old 04-09-2020, 06:05 PM
Lamoon78
Laughing Gas
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts
Honestly if your pulling anything heavy do yourself a favor and get the Ford. I ran Dodge/ Cummins for ever until a buddy of mine talked me into trying out a 6.7 Powerstroke they literally pull like nothing is back there. Dont get me wrong the Dodge pulls but nothing like these Powerstrokes. I have always been a Ford guy except the diesels until my first 6.7 Powerstroke back in 2012.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:09 PM
DSLTRK60
Fleet Mechanic
Received 435 Likes on 243 Posts
You've given us nothing but cab configuration and that it's a srw. Not nearly enough information about what you use the truck for.

It takes work to know what truck is best for you.

So before I take my time to help you, you need to give me more info.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:13 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
For me:
1) solid axle up front is something I actually want
2) aluminum body panels (surrounded by rusted out dodges here in NY)
3) can fit 37”s
4) prefer the aggressive square look

Old 04-09-2020, 06:18 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Because...

Old 04-09-2020, 06:24 PM
KCJackson1
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
I've owned both in the past, although as you can see in my sig, the Rams were significantly longer in my possession. I will consider not only Ford and Ram, but also Chevy/GMC fgor my next truck. I actually write comparison lists between the makes, and I'll highlight what's in my current comparison as far as Ford and Ram. Some of what are positives to me won't apply since you're going to a much higher trim level, so I will remove those criteria.

Ford:
- more power, both gas (7.3) and diesel
- newer body design (MY2017)
- flat rear floor
- standard 48 gallon tank on CCLB
- 10-speed transmission
- more front and rear legroom
- more fuel-economic axle ratios available
- better taillight configuration (larger lights of each type)
- full-cushion rear seat (no center cut like Ram)
- better front-door visibility
- longest available service contract at 8y/150K miles

Ram:
- significantly better turning radius
- 7 inches shorter, easier to park
- optional 50 gallon tank for CCLB
- total of 10 gauges in dash cluster, 6 are driver-configurable
- Cummins reliability if you go diesel
- available 12-inch screen (if tech is your thing)
- UConnect generally rated better than SYNC

The rest is all going to be subjective. Ford is more squared and upright, Ram has a bit more rounded design. My eye may like some paint colors better than yours. My back/butt/thighs may like one driver's seat better than yours. And in those high trim levels, both trucks will have the top tech and safety features.

Old 04-09-2020, 06:45 PM
JVburg
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I tried a RAM experiment on a 2014 3500 SRW with a Cummins. It pulled my trailer fine, and I loved the sound of the Cummins and exhaust brake, but I had extremely bad luck with it. I think I had something like 13 recalls, radiator shroud sucked into the fan while towing, cab seals replaced 3 separate times, a persistent and ever-changing oil leak, extremely annoying heater box squeak, EGR issues... All with under 42k miles when I sold it. I now Have a 2018 F350 6.7 that is SOLID! Not a single issue so far, and three minor recalls. Knock on wood!

Old 04-09-2020, 06:46 PM
longhaultransport
More Turbo
Received 225 Likes on 115 Posts
The mirrors.

Ford

Dodge

Lot's of other reasons, but the mirrors on Dodge....

Old 04-09-2020, 06:49 PM
Brother_Bluto
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I owned 4 GM trucks over ~25yrs. Two 1/2T & two 3/4T Duramax - all were short beds and all were relatively trouble free. My brother is still driving my 2004.5 Chev 2500HD LT with ~250K and no issues - that was a great truck, before DEF and 22mph on freeway. I started towing a 5er with the 15 2500HD Denali. Besides being slightly over payload... there were some things that just bugged me on that truck - among others: **** poor headlamps (couldn't see if raining in dark); poor towing mirrors (big blind spots), no HVAC to rear seats; blew hot air on knees of person in backseat if front seat cooling was turned on; no "grown up" headrests in back seat; uncomfortable front seats; etc. Decided to go with a 1T and check out all 3 with test drives, etc and all in upper trim levels.
  • With the 3500HD Denali I had plenty of positive experience with the Duramax/Allison combo, but GM hadn't fixed any of my issues/gripes in the 2017's (although a few are now fixed in the 20's).
  • The Ram Limited and Longhorn I looked at seemed like it was missing some fit and finish things - seat stitching and honestly just have never been a fan of the Ram styling, but found the backseat comfortable. The ride seemed a bit rough. While I wanted a good infotainment system... the Ram seemed too reliant on the screen which to me was a distraction (even more so with their huge screens in the new trucks). Have a good friend with a RAM, and a couple of coworkers with Rams and none have been as trouble free as me GM's have been.
  • The F350 Platinum seemed like it had everything I wanted fixed in the GM.. Very comfortable seating, huge room behind the seats for the baby seats (no need to move the front seats up like I had to do in the GMC). The 360 camera system was plain awesome and a game-changer for hooking up a 5er and a trailer. No question the solid front axle was a bit rougher ride than GMC's IFS, but not by much. The infotainment system seemed very user-friendly, the front cup-holder system was spot-on brilliant and loved the upfitter switches. I had some reservations about the Powerstroke before purchase, but more than proved itself after purchase. I put 30K on the 2017, with some decent grades towing the 5er and was an awesome truck.
I quickly realized I needed to "grow up" and should have listened to everyone who told me to get a long-bed. We wanted the next truck to be future-proof for a 5er upgrade... and didn't look around this time. Drove an F450 and placed my order shortly thereafter on a 2019 F450 Platinum. It is a beast of a truck, but love driving it as a DD as well.

Enjoy whichever you decide!

Old 04-09-2020, 07:29 PM
Chancemartin
Freshman User
I have worked out of several dodges and fords. Currently I an using a ram 3500 and a F350 for work. When you go from the ram to the ford it’s like going from a kubota to a John Deere. The ford is far superior in build quality and how they feel. They are just a lot better built pickup than the rams imo.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:48 PM
06KingRanch
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had about 6 gasser pickups, 1 dodge, 2 chevs, and 2 Fords
Then went to Diesels to pull trailers for recreation and work.
Diesels I've had:
2008 F350 Lariat
2012 F350 King Ranch
2015 F350 King Ranch
Currently have a 2020 F350 Lariat, which is by far the best truck I've ever owned. It is leaps and bounds above my 2015....it amazes me every time i drive it.
The 10 speed transmission is unbelievable!
I'm self employed and work in the oilfield; and mine is a work truck that I rely on to make money.
I'd estimate that 90% of the pickups in the oilfield are Fords.
All the big companies have all Fords. As in the long run they cost the company the least in maintenance; and down time.
We use them in the heat of summer to -40 C in the winter.....24hrs a day......for months on end.
They are the cheapest to maintain, and hold their value!!
You won't be disappointed.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,786 Likes on 1,694 Posts
My advice.......do you know any truck guys/gals? If so, arrange to go on a road trip with them, see how the seats, etc fit YOU after a couple hundred miles. Do this with Ford, Ram, and GM. Personally, I think they are all as good or bad as the others. Hw the vehicle fits me is more important than brand. A 10 minute test drive is not enough time to determine this.
The last year I worked before retiring, the company gave me a GMC Yukon Denali to drive. It was a fantastic rig, but the seats absolutely did NOT fit me. I had to get out of it every 30 - 45 minutes and walk around.

I guess one could say that I hate all brands equally!!!! LOL

Old 04-09-2020, 07:50 PM
67L48
Posting Guru
Received 174 Likes on 100 Posts
All are fine vehicles and you can't go wrong with any brand ... and every brand has lemons.

I shopped GMC vs Ford. I haven't had luck with Chrysler products and I wasn't convinced Fiat ownership would change that. So, Ram was never a brand I considered. So, again, it was Ford Lariat vs GMC Denali. So, why Ford won:
  • Ford was bigger inside. I have a large family, so bigger is actually a good thing here.
  • Ford was larger outside, or seemed so with a higher stance. I like this.
  • LED headlights are bigger and brighter.
  • Two-tone paint is a must for me and not available from GM
  • Interior materials seemed cheaper in the GMC
  • We liked the dash and console layout better in the Ford
  • Upfitter switches ... I don't recall GMC having these
  • Round wheel wells. Nobody in my family liked the squared off wheel wells of the GMC.
  • Hood scoop. I was OK with this, but agreed with my family that ultimately this looked like something a 20 year old would put on a truck.

Quick Reply: Why Ford