Notices
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

MERCON LV

Old 04-13-2019, 10:40 AM
HTM101
Senior User
HTM101 is starting off with a positive reputation.
MERCON LV

Hi guys,
I'd like to do a trans flush and refill soon. While reading previous posts I saw Motorcraft had made a 6 gallon bag of MERCON LV available, part number XT-10-6GLV. I can't locate a seller for that item. Any of you know of a source?

Old 04-13-2019, 10:48 AM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
That "part #" has been discontinued. Not sure if it is "find-able" anywhere.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:51 AM
HTM101
Senior User
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
That "part #" has been discontinued. Not sure if it is "find-able" anywhere.
Thank you.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:39 PM
Motohead911
Junior User
Motohead911 is starting off with a positive reputation.
When I bought mine about a month ago Rockauto had the 6 gallon bag.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:48 PM
HTM101
Senior User
Originally Posted by Motohead911 View Post
When I bought mine about a month ago Rockauto had the 6 gallon bag.
I was hoping for a purchase there, but when I did the Rock Auto SEARCH, nothing was found.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:14 PM
TooManyToys.
Post Fiend
TooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud ofTooManyToys. has much to be proud of
The problem has been with shipping, the bags typically puncture. While it was a good idea in the dealership service area or over the counter at the dealership, not so good running through the FedEx/UPS/USPS gauntlet.

Old 04-13-2019, 03:27 PM
HTM101
Senior User
I'm a bit unclear on Mercon SP and Mercon LV. Which one is preferred?

Old 04-13-2019, 03:51 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by TooManyToys. View Post
The problem has been with shipping, the bags typically puncture. While it was a good idea in the dealership service area or over the counter at the dealership, not so good running through the FedEx/UPS/USPS gauntlet.
Jack your quite right. I think the only way I would want that shipped would be stacked and wrapped on a pallet.
The usual suspects are way to hard on things like the bag in box to make it very unlikely to show up not leaking.
It's funny they get all pissy when they break something with a liquid that drips all over the truck even they are to blame.

Old 04-14-2019, 06:48 PM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by HTM101 View Post
I'm a bit unclear on Mercon SP and Mercon LV. Which one is preferred?
Either is fine and any ratio blend of the two is as well. Some folks think SP is the only way, but far too many folks are running LV or a blend without issue - I'm running a blend and can't tell any difference than when it was straight SP. If you find one of them cheaper than the other get that one. Folks have run Valvoline Maxlife also without issue, fyi...

Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM
akblackfoot
Elder User
akblackfoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.akblackfoot is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My 6gallon bag in a box made it all the way to Alaska unharmed.

Old 04-15-2019, 12:52 PM
HTM101
Senior User
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
Either is fine and any ratio blend of the two is as well. Some folks think SP is the only way, but far too many folks are running LV or a blend without issue - I'm running a blend and can't tell any difference than when it was straight SP. If you find one of them cheaper than the other get that one. Folks have run Valvoline Maxlife also without issue, fyi...
Good to know.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM
HT32BSX115
Postmaster
HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.HT32BSX115 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
Found the following from NAPA for $100
Valvoline Max Life Dex/Merc Mercon LV Automatic Transmission Fluid - 5 gal
Looks like they're claiming Maxlife IS an LV equivalent. (I would say that FOMOCO doesn't have their own refining and chemical plants etc)

https://www.valvoline.com/our-produc...ti-vehicle-atf

Sounds like Valvoline MAX life is the easiest to find or ship to any NAPA

Old 04-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Yahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputationYahiko has a superb reputation
The key word here is

Equivalent.

Old 04-15-2019, 04:48 PM
diesel_dan
Post Fiend
diesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud ofdiesel_dan has much to be proud of
Walmart has the Maxlife for under $18 a gallon... If it didn't work, why are we not hearing that? I would think if someone put it in their Torqshift and it went south, it'd be all over the internet...?

Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM
bismic
Post Fiend
bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
I agree with you Scott!

The MaxLife question has been around a LONG time. It was quite a few years ago when they started claiming that it was "suitable" for Mercon SP applications. That is when people started using it. I have seen nothing bad about it and I am on almost all of the 6.0L forums! That said, I am still using SP, lol!

Check out the fine print in this Valvoline brochure:

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publi...2-ac162d889bd1

(Mercon SP has an asterisk and LV doesn't)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.